Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Taking T pre transition for Dysphoria

Started by CallMeV, April 27, 2019, 09:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CallMeV

Hi everyone,
It feels like I've been seeing alot about trans women taking low dose estrogen to help with dysphoria while on this site.  Not enough to cause noticeable physical changes but enough to help mentally.
Is this something that can be done with T as well?
  I had already decided that I would need top surgery before going on T because I couldn't deal with hormonal changes while still dealing with this chest. But things have been really hard lately and I feel like I might not make it. If a low dose of T might alleviate the severity of my dysphoria and related depression and anxiety I'm seriously considering it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

•  

Dena

The problem with starting T is that it's powerful and even at a low dosage you'er going to see changes. If you're not ready for them you will have to deal with them. The other issue is unless you're near a normal dosage it isn't going to suppress your estrogen production. I have seen FTM members who even at transition dosage still have an active reproduction system.

Probably the best that can be offered if you're not ready for changes is to see if an estrogen blocker is available. There are several and they are normally reserved for those under 18 until they can legally decide to take T but it might be possible for you to take this route.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

CallMeV

I know everyone's body responds differently which is frustrating because I just want to know if I can take T and still pass as cis a bit longer. I'm sure the voice and facial hair would be the two biggest problems

•  

Kirsteneklund7

Just remember if your T is not at the high end for cis female T can be prescribed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

CallMeV

Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on April 28, 2019, 05:06:10 AM
Just remember if your T is not at the high end for cis female T can be prescribed.

I have no idea what you mean.

Really hoping to hear from some fellow trans masculine people on this is anyone has experience on this topic

•  

Perry

Quote from: CallMeV on April 27, 2019, 09:37:42 AM
Hi everyone,
It feels like I've been seeing alot about trans women taking low dose estrogen to help with dysphoria while on this site.  Not enough to cause noticeable physical changes but enough to help mentally.
  I had already decided that I would need top surgery before going on T because I couldn't deal with hormonal changes while still dealing with this chest. But things have been really hard lately and I feel like I might not make it. If a low dose of T might alleviate the severity of my dysphoria and related depression and anxiety I'm seriously considering it

I started on what I considered to be a ridiculously low dose of T due to my NP's lack of experience with a guy my age and my high, but physician managed, blood pressure. My slow response to the T is likely influenced by my age, I started at 61, almost 62. My dose has been adjusted a couple of times and I'm now on a more normal dose.

For several years I had a smattering of mustache hairs that I would shave every other day because of the business environment I was in. Once on T it did take a few months before the number of hairs increased noticeably and began to grow more on my chin. I'm 2 weeks away from one year and lately I've noticed more hair on my cheeks and under my chin.

My friends have not noticed my voice changing at all despite the app Voice Pitch Analyzer placing me consistently in the male range for the last 2-3 months. My NP did say he thought my voice was deeper, I only see him every 3-4 months. At the drive thru I was called sir 2 weeks ago. I have not experienced any of the typical teenaged voice cracking. I do however feel that it has steadily deepened, but it has taken many months to notice it.

Even with a low dose I felt my mental state was improved just by knowing I had finally taken the first step toward realizing my true self. Notwithstanding the slow changes I've been feeling much better and that I'm getting right despite my current body. It's been a long journey but I finally have a date for top surgery.

Even on the low dose I had changes that would only be noticeable to someone I was intimate with. That also helped me mentally, much to my surprise.

For me I did not want to be a guy with boobs, I also don't bind (I tried, it looks horrible). With a low dose I have certainly been able to hide the changes due to taking hormones. As is often stated on this site, YMMV, your mileage may vary.

Good luck,
Perry
Integrity has no need of rules.  -Albert Camus

•  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: CallMeV on April 28, 2019, 06:54:19 PM
I have no idea what you mean.

Really hoping to hear from some fellow trans masculine people on this is anyone has experience on this topic

XX people can be prescribed T as a supplement or booster. For instance a regular cis woman can be prescribed T if she requests it for low libido. The doctor will monitor levels up to the high CIS range if it is requested.

This does not produce noticeable physical masculisation but mood and libido will be affected.

Just humble food for thought,

Kind regards, Kirsten.

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: CallMeV on April 27, 2019, 09:37:42 AM
Hi everyone,

Please, if you are not seeing a gender therapist, find one and go to them!  It sounds like you need someone to talk to, to help you with your feelings about your current body.  Its not saying that you are crazy, not by any means.  It's simply so that you have someone to help you through your transitioning.

I know its rough, being a man with a woman's chest, but as one that has had to put off my top surgery, it is possible to be one.  I bind my D+ chest, and although it's not my preferred way to deal with it, its what I must do until I get both of my hips replaced in August.  Right now for me, simply walking without pain is my biggest priority.  I'm hoping to have my top surgery a year or so from now, after my hips have healed and I can once again walk normally.   

So, even though I have a beard, deep voice and more masculine build, I still have to deal with my gynecomastia. yay.  :'(

So I get it.  I get where you are coming from. It sucks mightily, but try to focus on the fact that you won't always have them. 

Ryuichi

•  

Kylo

An official T HRT regimen has eliminated my dysphoria, and it's not an especially high dose, but it does have a cumulative effect over time resulting in keeping me at the high end of the normal T threshold for a man. But I have to mention, even starting on this low dose I saw changes within 3 days. Genital growth and voice changes. It took about 2 - 3 months for all the genital growth to complete but within a week people were asking me about my voice and enough beard hairs had appeared by the 5 month mark for them to be "noticed". The body hair was literally "all in" by the 3 month mark.

The most difficult thing to "hide" is the voice and there is nothing you can do about it, it usually starts within the first 2 weeks of starting HRT for most people. It's also immediately noticed and commented on by people, although they tend to assume you have "a cold". You can pass it off as a cold for a few weeks but any longer and you will be pushing their curiosity. Some people thought I'd taken up chain smoking.

Strangely though after a while, they may get used to it and stop commenting on it. It's the initial scratching phase of the voice when it drops but doesn't yet have the lower pitch added when T thickens the vocal cords that makes people think you sound sick.

I dealt with having the low voice but also the chest for a while because that was just the way the doctors said it was going to have to be done, i.e. 1 year of HRT commitment before any surgery, so I think people got used to it at that point and forgot all about it by the time the surgery came around. The combination of the surgery plus 2 years of T on the voice means I pass pretty much 100% of the time, voice and boobs are the two biggest 'casual' indicators people have of whether you're male or female.

T is powerful stuff, even a low dose can affect someone quickly. If mental health is the priority I would say go for it but only if you are comfortable with some of these changes, the voice, gen growth and the beard/body hair are ofc permanent and highly 'visible' in social situations.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

MeTony

My endo told me I could start with a low dose. Less than half normal dose gel. It will help me lose weight. I need to lose 12 kg to be put in line for surgery. They want atleast 6 months treatment with T before surgery.

I also have a huge chest. G-cup. But I am still  often taken for a guy. Even with just a t-shirt and shorts on. It's more to it being seen as a woman than just having boobs. My moobs sometimes give me away and sometimes not.

I bind half the time. Body needs to rest.

I will start T on a very low dose next week. My blood work came back from the endo, I have too low SHBG for a woman. That propably means I get high T levels in my system even on a low dose.

I'm excited. My husband not so much.

Tony
  •  

F_P_M

I agree actually, i'm worried the effects of t will make chest dysphoria so much worse.

but as someone else mentioned, very low doses of t are given to post menopausal cis women and don't seem to cause much issue at such concentrations.
But there is always the risk of some things like hair growth, hair thinning etc.

Ultimately though, if you can get a doctor to agree, I can't see why you can't have a low dose to even things out biochemically. I mean if cis women can have it, why the heck not?

I was reading the NHS guidelines earlier about it and T isn't licensed for use in women in this country but can be perscribed "off license" under certain circumstances. Usually it's post manopausal women having trouble with their libido.
Well damn if someone can get it because she's got a low libido why the hell can't we get it to make us feel less like clawing our own skin off?

But with all hrt it's wise to have a doctor signing off on it and monitoring your blood hormone levels and liver function as well as your blood pressure, just in case.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: F_P_M on May 05, 2019, 12:50:46 PM*snip*

I mean if cis women can have it, why the heck not?

I was reading the NHS guidelines earlier about it and T isn't licensed for use in women in this country but can be perscribed "off license" under certain circumstances. Usually it's post manopausal women having trouble with their libido.
Well damn if someone can get it because she's got a low libido why the hell can't we get it to make us feel less like clawing our own skin off?

But with all hrt it's wise to have a doctor signing off on it and monitoring your blood hormone levels and liver function as well as your blood pressure, just in case.

The key word that you have mentioned is "women."  Usually with a diagnosis of Gender Dysphoria, you don't see yourself as a "woman," therefore, we as transgenders are prescribed T in order to not only have our bodies become closer to matching our minds and souls, but to help alleviate depression.  At least that is one of the many reasons that many of us here in the US are prescribed T. 

I'm sure there's more reasons, but boosting self-confidence and the lessening of body dysphoria is often enough reasons for it to be prescribed.

Ryuichi

•  

Kylo

T made my dysphoria and body dislike go away. It has the effect (unlike estrogen) in my experience of lowering general anxiety and self-consciousness so even pre op I was very calm and not bothered about the offending body parts. But if you are worked up about looking "in between" for a while that will raise anxiety.

One thing to note, it may not happen to you, but when I say it made my body dislike go away... I mean it made it all go away. I didn't care about having a female body anymore. I was comfortable with it. I didn't stop my transition because I am equally comfortable in the idea of living as male, and I'm happy enough. But it's a complication I did not foresee, and others might experience the same.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

CallMeV

Really? That worries me alot actually. The idea that I might decide not to get top surgery because I'm not concerned any more once I'm on T. This may sound crazy but that feels scary

•  

Kirsteneklund7

Im MTF but let me add 20c worth. I started HRT because dysphoria was causing a lot of mental distraction. I hated having male equipment so much I would have cut things off. Also the desire to change my birth gender was relentless.

After visiting a psychiatrist and psychologist & beginning HRT the dysphoria, angst, distraction, self harm vanished rapidly to the point I forgot what the fuss was about.

I stopped HRT and withing weeks the demonds returned - HRT & therapy got me back to peace and minimal dysphoria.

Later marriage issues became THE ISSUE but HRT cured the dysphoria to the point that I thought I wasnt really trans.

That is the fickle irony of FTM or MTF HRT.

Kind regards, Kirsten.

•  

Vethrvolnir

Quote from: Kylo on May 06, 2019, 04:58:16 PM
T made my dysphoria and body dislike go away. It has the effect (unlike estrogen) in my experience of lowering general anxiety and self-consciousness so even pre op I was very calm and not bothered about the offending body parts. But if you are worked up about looking "in between" for a while that will raise anxiety.

One thing to note, it may not happen to you, but when I say it made my body dislike go away... I mean it made it all go away. I didn't care about having a female body anymore. I was comfortable with it. I didn't stop my transition because I am equally comfortable in the idea of living as male, and I'm happy enough. But it's a complication I did not foresee, and others might experience the same.

T magic. I want it now! Who needs a full head of hair when you can have body peace!
Mostly human
  •  

F_P_M

Yeah that sounds wonderful. I rather want a low dose at first, see how I feel and what it does and do everything sort of... slow and careful.

But gosh it'd be nice to no longer feel like you're poisioned.

tbh, those worried about a little facial hair, in a lot of guys it seems to take a while to really fill in and having lived 20+ years as a hairy lady, lemme tell ya, people don't care.
I don't grow a very GOOD beard but I do grow facial hair and it is obvious face to face. I also grow very very thick belly hair.
If you're confident, people just don't question it. So if continuing to "pass as cis" is an issue, I wouldn't worry too much about hair gain. It can be shaved or tweazed if it's too problematic.

I'm actually genuinely curious how my body hair will go if I get T. At the moment i'm estrogen dominant (it suuuucks) but my natural body hair isn't exactly "feminine" in pattern or density. I get chest hairs, I get chin hairs, I have very thick leg hair and pretty decent arm hair. That's PRE anything. I laugh about it saying i'm gonna become a teeny tiny yeti but there is a chance that I might not get that much more.
Being a teeny tiny yeti would be hilarious though.

thing is, even before I realised I was trans, my body hair has NEVER really concerned me. Maybe because I never felt like a girl so never felt the need to "feel more feminine" or something, I dunno. So growing more of it is like... eh, cool, whatevs.

I'm worried about hair loss, but ultimately, to feel calm and okay in my own skin sounds like a fair tradeoff.

It's interesting Kylo that you mention a degree of apathy forming. I wonder if i'll see that too. When my hormones aren't making me miserable I generally don't feel that much connection to my body or assigned gender, but I don't LOATHE it. I just feel like i'd be substantially healthier both physically and mentally on testosterone. My brain IS male, i'm certain of it, but I don't always feel quite so miserable about the meat suit I got to wear.
I mean it's not a terrible meat suit, but i'd like to make some alterations to make it a bit more "me".
  •