Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Is the word "DUDE" losing it's gender ?

Started by CynthiaAnn, May 10, 2019, 08:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CynthiaAnn

You look in the dictionaries and this word is meant to refer to a male person, or a "city slicker". When I was younger the word was common in "California surfer talk".

Yet today I overhear my 20 somethings and others using this word in a non gendered way, like more of an expression than referring to an actual person. "Like Dude", everyone is a dude, girls, guys, anybody can be a "dude" these days (I rather avoid the word myself).

What's your take, is the word "Dude" loosing it's gender today ? Just curious.

C -

•  

randim

I don't think I would call a woman dude.  Dudette, said in the same tone, yes. But I am a teech old to be up on the young folks' lingo.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

It is pretty commonly used to refer to anyone. 
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on May 10, 2019, 08:25:38 AM
It is pretty commonly used to refer to anyone.

I know that's what I'm hearing. My daughter talking to her girlfriend on the phone calls her "dude"  :laugh:
  •  

Ryuichi13

I'm originally from Cleveland, Ohio USA, and we call everyone "dude."  Even groups of people are sometimes referred to as "dudes."

So maybe. [emoji846]

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

•  

Victoria L.

I've seen the scenario going around online for years asking if a guy would actually refer to his girlfriend/partner/wife as a dude when talking with someone else about them having to slept together and it says all that needs to be said about dude not actually being gender neutral.
  •  

Dena

Here in the west we use the term Dude Ranch. Dude would be a verb which means inexperienced. On a Dude Ranch you would find people of all ages and all genders.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Dani

Yes, when I was much younger, cowboy shows were all the rage on TV and the name Dude was actually an insult  reserved for inept ranch hands.

Today, I have heard some women calling themselves a Dudette. Which I think is cool.  8)
  •  

Kylo

Still usually used to refer to men, or when people assume someone's a man online, but sometimes to anyone. And some people make a point of saying it to anyone.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Anastasia

I think dude began losing its gender with "Full House" and the girl that called everybody dude. The kids who watched that are aged 25 +, and there will be younger people who watched it in syndication. I tend to think of and use dude as the singular form of "ya'll"
  •  

Haley Conner

My college friends and I were using it universally since the late 80s.
  •  

Lexxi

Duuuude I use it all the time for both genders. A lot of people I know do the same thing.
Finally started the process of becoming who I really am on the inside! 5/20/19
  •