Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

A unique approach to vaginaplasty

Started by Patty_M, May 15, 2019, 10:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty_M

This article appeared in a recent issue of the British paper Mirror:

< Edited by moderator for TOS 1 and copyright compliance >

Trans woman, 35, 'first in world' to get vagina made out of fish skin

The 35-year-old is thrilled with the results and the pioneering surgery has given her the chance of having a sex life again

By
Janet Tappin Coelho
19:14, 15 MAY 2019
Updated20:31, 15 MAY 2019
News

Maju has had her vagina canal reconstructed from tilapia fish

A woman has become the first transgender person in the world to undergo successful vaginal reconstructive surgery using the skin of tilapia fish.

>
  •  

Shay9999

Something smells fishy here.  :D

But in all seriousness, this is remarkable! I want to know more about the long-term results. In another article regarding (linked below) regarding Leonardo Bezerra's work, it's mentioned that they had the idea this work would move into SRS. That was only a year ago, so this feels like a good sign in my book. However, I am still concerned by what exactly is involved.

< Link removed by moderator >
From Bioserv SMO:
Brazil became the first country in the world to perform reconstructive surgery vaginal canal using fish skin - in case, tilapia - in replacement of human skin. In April last year so far, six women have been operated on a trial basis and two more will the procedure later this month at the Maternity School Assis Chateaubriand, connected to federal University of Ceara (UFC).

For the future, researchers have several ideas. One is to expand the research and recommend the use of the technique in women with post-chemotherapy genital atrophy, for example, for women with urinary incontinence, genital prolapse (drop of the uterus) and even sexual reassignment surgery transsexual women (Today doctors use the patient's penis skin and does not always work).

Minor complaint, ever notice that in transitioning/SRS articles, they spend a few paragraphs explaining the journey of the person transitioning? Sometimes I think it's funny, like in this article.
Researchers: "Look, we made a neovagina out of tilapia!"
Tabloids: "Wow, this must be a big accomplishment... Maju. Tell us more about your transition."

Edit: Added quotes from linked article.
If you ever feel like you're unloved, message me. Reach out to me. Seriously. I love you. I'll listen to everything to need to say. I'm running on California time, and I'm a full time student, so if you're expecting a reply, please be patient. But I'll always reply. Thinking of you.
  •  

Kendra

A quick reminder... Susan's Terms of Service provides limits on including links in a post, described in TOS 1 and the Post Ranks system.  Also there are limits on how much of a published article can be copied/posted without running into copyright issues.

Here's a previous discussion you may find helpful as it covers the same topic:
Alternative vaginal construction methods

thanks,

Kendra
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Haley Conner

I am shocked that fish tissue is compatible with human tissue!  Wow.  Anyone know if there's such a thing as one grown from stem cells?  Seems like that would be the way to go, imo.
  •  

GingerVicki

•  

Alice V

"Don't try and blame me for your sins,
For the sun has burn me black.
Your hollow lives, this world in which we live -
I hurl it back."©Bruce Dickinson

My place
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Quote from: Alice V on May 16, 2019, 01:36:26 PM