Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Clothing sizes

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 05, 2024, 02:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

I have tops ranging from XS to Large, and they all fit!

Dresses are reasonably consistent, but I may need a size 8, 10, or 12, depending on the cut.

Jeans and leggings are nearly always too short, it's difficult to find them with a 34-inch inseam.

The only women's clothing sizes I have found to be reasonably accurate are for socks. Panties are next. Although there are occasional deviations between manufacturers, panty sizes are reasonably consistent.

Unless you have already found the size from each specific manufacturer that fits you, be prepared to visit the dressing room or make a trip back to the store to return the items which don't fit. If you want to reduce the need to use a dressing room or return ill-fitting clothes, try taking a small measuring tape along, one of those tiny 3ft models should be plenty. Also don't be afraid to gently stretch a garment you are looking at to help judge if it will fit.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Northern Star Girl

@Jessica_Rose
Dear Jessica....
You are exactly correct... the fitting room before you buy!!!!
HUGS, Danielle
Quote from: Jessica_Rose on January 05, 2024, 02:17:00 PM{snipped text
- - - - - - - - - - -
Unless you have already found the size from each specific manufacturer that fits you, be prepared to visit the dressing room or make a trip back to the store to return the items which don't fit. If you want to reduce the need to use a dressing room or return ill-fitting clothes, try taking a small measuring tape along, one of those tiny 3ft models should be plenty. Also don't be afraid to gently stretch a garment you are looking at to help judge if it will fit.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I do not like returning clothing so when buying in person I prefer using the dressing room unless I know the clothes will fit because of clothing line familiarity. 

Going clothing shopping with a girlfriend can be fun, try that if you can.  It is nice to get some advice on what looks good or natural on you too if you have a friend that is open about that with you. Just ask her to be.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

D'Amalie

Torrid has nice dressing rooms.  A bit flashy for the most part but the sizes are pretty consistant.

For long inseam pants go to Old Navy on line and JCPenney.
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly

Colorado Girl

Quote from: D'Amalie on January 26, 2024, 05:36:05 PMTorrid has nice dressing rooms.  A bit flashy for the most part but the sizes are pretty consistant.

For long inseam pants go to Old Navy on line and JCPenney.

Yes, Torrid is a good store. I have a friend who manages one - and she's constantly asking me to come to work for her...lol! (Maybe when I retire and need something to keep me from getting bored!)
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

For 35" to 37" inseams, check out American Tall.

Alloy Apparel also offers the same inseams.

And then there is still Long Tall Sally with inseams up to 38", although their shipping times from the UK to the US are pretty long.

Heidemarie
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Jessica_K

Fully agree sizes are stupidly applied by manufactures.
I can be 14-18 UK size tops and dresses, 12-16 for jeans and pants. The only consistency not mentioned is shoe sixes where I am size 7 UK

I prefer to shop instore and if they have a fitting room I use it (many times lol)

Hugs
Jessica

The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

**** No act of kindness goes unpunished ****

•  

Iztaccihuatl

Like Jessica I am also a size larger in tops & dresses than in pants & jeans. I think it has to do with the fact that going through male puberty gave us a rather large ribcage and narrow hips compared to average cic females.

Heidemarie
  •  

Maid Marion

I wear the same size tops and bottoms.

Kohl's have a couple of different areas for women's clothing.
The Junior's section is closest to the store entrance.
They also have separate areas for women's,petites, maternity, and dressy work clothes.
As well other areas for women's coats, sleep wear, and lingerie!
  •  

MistressStevie

There is more consistency within a given manufacturer or brands sizing than between brands.  Toss in the variety of international sizing standards and there is no easy answer.     

This means that used clothing stores and ebay are both great ways to try on a variety of sizes cost effectively.   I like shops that actually put their standard measurements for their variety of sizes.  I have outfits of a wide variety of sizes 16, 18, 20, & 22, L, XL, & 2X that all fit.  So there is no substitute for the actual trying stuff on experience.   

If I can get tops 2X and bottoms L-Tall that is my starting point.   

Guys clothes had measurements with more consistency.
  •  

Paulie

I'm a lot less shy about using the dressing rooms in the woman's department when it's slow.  But I'm not close at all to passing and I don't want to make anyone un-comfortable. So dressing rooms are not always an option. 

I do carry one of these when I'm shopping.  I have 4 numbers I use to check the fit.  Shoulders, Under the arms, wast, and back of the neck to the bottom hem. The numbers I use are side to side with the garnet flat.  This makes for quick measurements.

The same numbers work for dresses too.  I have no hips, so if the top half fits the bottom half always does too. 

Paulie.
  •