Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Am I trans in denial or is this just OCD?

Started by AlpacaMan, February 04, 2024, 02:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlpacaMan

Hello everyone and sorry if this is triggering, insensitive etc.

The reason I'm writing this is because my anxiety has spiked on this issue after reading papers on trans people, trans experiences etc. and finding some similarities, I think that these similarities are either surface level or my mind is distorting/misunderstanding the core issue but I'm also afraid it's not. I'm sorry for doing this and seeking reassurance, I know it's not right, but it's also very addictive and I don't know how to handle my anxiety and despair.

I'm a gay man (I hope) from Greece in my mid 20's and my issues arose in November 2022 when I came out to some of my friends (I've known that I'm gay since 2015 and it felt far more natural than pretending to be straight, where I pretended that I wanted to be a virgin for life etc.) . I was readily accepted, and one of my friends then started laying out some of his weird sexual fetishes about genderbending etc. which culminated with her coming out of the closet as an MtF trans person. 

Initially I accepted this and had no trouble with it or her identity. I even had another trans friend that came out to me in 2020 and had no issues. I succumbed to the impulse of looking up our past conversations and noticed that at some point she asked me seriously if I'm trans or non - binary myself and I answered without any hesitation no, which is what I would still answer. I also didn't feel anything, I just felt uncomfortable that I even gave hints that I might be trans. One of my core fears is that if other people ask me if I'm trans or if they tell me I'm trans I will somehow lose control and like the idea of being a woman and start transitioning etc.

When my 2022 trans friend came out I started researching out of curiosity about trans issues (I knew of trans people since elementary/middle school but didn't pay much attention to them and I was politically aware of them since at least 2015 with the bathroom bill craze in the US, so it's not as if I suddenly discovered the New World). I read some stories about men in their 20s and 30s and 40s suddenly realizing that they were trans and transitioning and I was scared >-bleeped-<less, because I thought "what If I've been trans the entire time and my entire life is a lie?" or "what if I build a life with another man etc. and then suddenly I get the urge to transition or realize I've been trans in my 40s?". The problem is that these thoughts are praying on my realization of being a gay man and are trying to find similarities but it just doesn't feel right for me to be a woman. Again, I have no issue with trans people of all kinds nor have I ever been a transphobe, but even my progressive political sensibilities and my emotional sensitivity as a man is adding fuel to the fire, even though many of my male friends (even the more masculine ones) are somewhat sensitive and maybe insecure too.

I started obsessively thinking about this and feeling like >-bleeped-<, fearing that I could be trans or a woman, I started thinking back to my earlier days as a child, as a teenager and checking and rechecking every memory and interaction and thought, I started asking other people if they ever thought that I might be a woman or if my name is masculine enough or if my behavior is masculine etc., along with admitting to some pretty embarrassing stuff about my bodily insecurities etc. and I basically humiliated myself by losing control like that, which only made things worse for my psyche. It doesn't help that when I was a child I wore once an article of clothing from my mother, or that I had a better relationship with my mother than my father before switching gears and having a better relationship with dad ever since I was a teenager. Thankfully, I resisted telling my parents because they are incredibly homophobic and asking them about my gender identity would have resulted in them having "fertile ground" to dismiss my homosexuality in the future (I intend to come out to them during this summer actually). 

Eventually I visited a psychiatrist and he told me that those are egodystonic thoughts that are the hallmark of OCD etc. and basically he gave me some pills (Xanax and Zoloft) and those helped calm me down a lot. But I'm tortured by thoughts such as "what if I'm pretending this is OCD" or "what if it's not OCD"? In fact, I can't recall ever again thinking about this issue (at least I hope) from January 2023 to December 2023 (I stopped taking my pills without my doctor's consent during the summer 2023 because I felt that they weren't working for my depression and because I was upset when my doctor told me at one of our meetings that I have autism, because it confirms some of my worst fears and suspicions about me and my social deficiencies as well as about feeling in general less than human, feelings and thoughts I've been aware of since at least I was 6 years old). But even then this too worries me because I've read that gender dysphoria ebbs and flows and I've read stories and papers on trans women who lived as men up to their 50's and were very successful and masculine etc.

Recently, my country entered the process of legalizing same sex marriage and I'm trapped for the moment in a very homophobic family and work environment, both of which can't stop forcing homophobic >-bleeped-< down my throat like the claim that "all homos want to be women deep down", all of which upset me and made me start fearing that I might be trans/a woman and that I've suppressed this so much that I don't even know who I am and that my "OCD" was a cover up for gender dysphoria all along. This has resulted in me doing gender dysphoria "tests" online, or reading papers about gender dysphoria, case presentations etc. or reading up on the experiences of trans people etc. I'm not blaming trans people or my friend for my neuroticism which is my own issue and on which I've started working with a psychologist, we've already made some progress but I'm afraid that I might like these thoughts and that I might decide to transition and become a woman. Although I have to say that this time around my symptoms are far better and far less intrusive and cause much less impairment than the last time.

The thing is that before November 2022 I've never had these issues I think, if anything despite my complex relationship with masculinity as a gay man who is sensitive and loves animals a lot in a conservative, religious society I've always yearned to be more masculine in presentation and I've always imagined myself as a man in the future, even when I was a child, I know this for a fact (I hope). Nor did I ever feel uncomfortable with my genitalia. In fact I was extremely happy during middle school when I started growing facial hair, checking out my facial hair on the mirror was and remains one of my fondest and strongest memories because some of my friends had already started growing facial hair and I was really really envious of them. Even this however gets distorted and I've started doubting whether I really enjoyed it, or maybe the fact that I was envious of other boys/men means that maybe I didn't feel like a boy/man deep down etc.

I'm terribly sorry for bothering you all with this and mostly for relapsing to reassurance seeking, something I had hoped would not happen again, but I'm really terrified that this might not be OCD but gender dysphoria. Unfortunately I've given my gender identity much more thought than I think it ultimately deserves in my case, and I've concluded that even If I'm trans I want to live as a man and be treated as man in a man's body if that makes any sense, or at least I hope that this is my real conclusion and not some form of denial. I will show this all to my psychologist no matter how shameful it is and we've already discussed my thoughts on gender/gender identity.

I just wish that I could somehow make these thoughts go away completely or at least not be bothered by them. I'm afraid that one day they might win and that I might start transitioning and living like a woman or that I might be tortured by them for the rest of my life, although I'd rather be tortured by them for life than live as a woman. Objectively speaking, If a friend of mine started talking the way I do, I would have told him that this is an obvious case of something that causes him anxiety rather than contentment, but my brain keeps treating myself as an adversary instead of a friend and it makes me feel like I'm lying. This isn't the first time this has happened by the way, maybe I'm coping by comparing these situations and trying to insinuate that this is just an obsession, but there have been extended periods of time where I was afraid that I might be a zoophile (triggered by the first episode of Black Mirror and my intense lifelong love for animals) or that my hair is falling (the only thing I hate about being a man tbh is that your hair at some point falls out and I'm prepared to dish out tons of money to not lose it, thankfully my dad's hair hasn't fallen off).

For more context, this is a forum post I made on November 2022 when I was again dealing with this issue: 
https://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/threads/is-this-trans-ocd-or-am-i-just-trans.564196/
I stumbled on this post when I was googling "Trans OCD" recently. Funnily enough, I had actually forgotten that this was mine and was taken aback at how much this was like my experience, until I checked the user name and the location lol.

Hope you have a wonderful day everyone.

TXSara

Boy.  There's a lot to unpack here...

First of all, you should NEVER feel like you are a "bother" to us for talking about issues you are having with gender dysphoria.  That's sort of why we're here, you know?

Secondly, and I'm sure you already expect this, I don't think that any of us can help to diagnose your feelings from afar or from a few paragraphs.  I think that working with a therapist is a great step, and hopefully the two of you will be able to dig deep enough into your core motivations and thoughts to determine this.

One thing I have learned about the transgender community is that we are all different.  There really isn't a prescribed "way" that people feel.  Some people suffer from extreme dysphoria that affects their daily lives for many years before they finally succumb to the need to transition.  Others have milder symptoms and are able to live without the need to transition.  Still others are extremely dysphoric and STILL choose not to transition due to external forces outside their control. 

The realization that you are transgender can happen later in life, but I believe that a lot of this is because we didn't really understand it much when we were younger.  I knew that there was something "off" and "weird" about my inclination toward feminine clothing and behaviors, but I didn't really have a "box" to put any of it into.  I just thought I was a freak and needed to keep it all under wraps -- otherwise I would be rejected by my family, friends, and classmates.  I guess what I'm saying is that since you (a) know about gender dysphoria, and (b) are actively looking inward to see if this describes your feelings, you are probably NOT going to be one of us that lives life into your 40s or 50s before coming to the realization that you're trans.

My suggestion is to try to be as open and honest with yourself when working with your therapist.  Stick with it, and hopefully you'll eventually come to a point where you feel confident in your self-assessment.  Don't sweat whether you'll "find out" later.  I don't (personally) think it works that way.  Either you sleepwalk through life and then figure it out late, or you come to grips with it early.  Generally, we don't have an existential crisis in our 20s then wait another 30 years to "all of a sudden" decide we're trans!  ;D

~Sara
My Latest Blog Thread:  Sara's Wild Ride (Part II)

•  
    The following users thanked this post: AlpacaMan

AlpacaMan

Thank you very much for your kind words!!

The truth is that I know that I'm not trans, it's just that when I keep making these posts or reaching out to other people I keep fantasizing about someone telling me "get a grip, you're not trans/you don't sound trans" etc. and that my doubts will go away forever.

The truth of the matter is that my anxiety calms down once people tell me stuff like that, but it always returns with a vengeance. I think what I need is to fully realize that these thoughts can't be answered by logic and that I need to accept the inherent uncertainty of life. As much as I hate to say it, maybe I'm trans or maybe I'm cis and it maybe at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

Keep going strong.
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Hello AlpacaMan, welcome to Susan's Place and the Forums!

We strive to make this this a safe place to find information, and to share your thoughts and comments regarding your journey. Just about everyone here has been confused about their gender at some point in their lives. Some discover they are non-binary, others realize they are transgender, while others may feel they fit best somewhere else along the spectrum. No matter where that may be, you are always welcome at Susan's Place.

Once you feel comfortable here, please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum to introduce yourself and tell us something about yourself.

Please review the links at the end of this message, they include information which will help you navigate the site and use the available features.  Once you reach 15 posts you will be able to send and reply to private messages, until then if you have any questions about the Susan's Place site and the Forums, please feel free to contact me via email at Jessica_Rose@susans.org

Once again, Welcome to Susan's Place!

Jessica Rose
Global Moderator

Things that you should read

Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Susan

Dear AlpacaMan,

It's clear you are on a thoughtful yet challenging journey to understand your gender identity. I commend your courage in facing these complex questions.

Exploring our innermost selves requires great patience and compassion. Try not to judge your feelings, but observe them with curiosity. And give yourself permission to take all the time you need. There's no rush to land on definitive answers.

Your anxiety shows how deeply this matters to you. Continue working with your therapist to manage OCD tendencies. But also make space for self-reflection beyond those pressures. Notice what feels most real and comfortable at your core.

Your identity belongs to you alone. Focus within, on your own wellbeing and authentic self. The path unfolding is yours to walk, at your own pace. Supportive communities exist to embrace you through each step.

How you identify may shift, and that's okay. We all grow by continually learning about ourselves. For now, just focus on self-care and finding spaces that allow you to feel truly seen.

This journey requires great courage. Be proud for facing it head on. With compassion and patience, the answers you seek will be revealed, one day at a time. You've got this.

Wishing you clarity and peace.

Σε προσωπικό σημείωμα: Αυτή η ενότητα μεταφράστηκε από τα Αγγλικά στα Ελληνικά από τεχνητή νοημοσύνη.

Έζησα στην Αθήνα από το 1982 έως το 1986, ως παιδί ενός στρατιώτη του αμερικανικού στρατού, κοντά στην αμερικανική αεροπορική βάση. Η αγάπη μου για τη χώρα και τον λαό της είναι βαθιά. Παρά κάποια αντίθεση στα αμερικανικά συμφέροντα, βρήκα φιλικότητα, κάνοντας σαφή διάκριση μεταξύ κυβέρνησης και λαού. Θησαυρίζω τις γλυκές αναμνήσεις από εκείνη την εποχή, ειδικά του ελληνικού φαγητού. Το ψωμί από τους παραδοσιακούς φούρνους και το λεμονόδεντρο στην πίσω αυλή μας μένουν αξέχαστα. Η κολύμβηση στο Αιγαίο και οι επισκέψεις σε ιστορικούς τόπους της Ελλάδας, καθώς και η κατασκήνωση στην άγρια φύση με ομάδα προσκόπων, ήταν εμπειρίες που σημάδεψαν. Ονειρεύομαι τακτικά την επιστροφή μου στην Αθήνα για άλλη μια επίσκεψη, με το πιο πρόσφατο όνειρο να έγινε λιγότερο από μια εβδομάδα πριν. Ελπίζω αυτά τα όνειρα να γίνουν πραγματικότητα.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!