Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

A beguiling event

Started by Oldandcreaky, February 28, 2024, 07:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldandcreaky

So, in the Susan's community, I assume I'm infamous for shrugging at being fashionable. My appearance is likely worse than you might imagine, as I'm hard on my clothing, loving the outdoors and gardening, and I've painted two houses, inside and outside, in the last decade, so many of my clothes are torn, paint splattered, and stained.

Well, yesterday, I wore the worst of my sweat pants: baggy, saggy, ripped, and they looked like Jackson Pollock practiced on them. I also wore a dark hoody and a stained Cabela's baseball cap. Pretty, huh?

So, I approached a couple waiting for their order from a food truck. They were to the manor-born, as patrician as they come, and that old money was bred into their bones, as they were tall, angular, thin, and handsome.

I asked them if they liked the food truck's grub and they said, "Not really," and we all laughed and started ricocheting from topic to topic. The husband had the confidence and command of some Fortune 100 CEOs I've met and I asked him if he was a retired CEO.

He said he'd been a lawyer and his wife amended, "A very good lawyer."

I wanted to go find some food worth eating, but they didn't want me to leave and I love that about old money, that they're more likely to perceive value beneath the rips and stains than new money, which can be so uncertain of their status that they might flinch from a ragamuffin like me.

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on February 28, 2024, 07:22:19 AMSo, in the Susan's community, I assume I'm infamous for shrugging at being fashionable. My appearance is likely worse than you might imagine, as I'm hard on my clothing, loving the outdoors and gardening, and I've painted two houses, inside and outside, in the last decade, so many of my clothes are torn, paint splattered, and stained.

Well, yesterday, I wore the worst of my sweat pants: baggy, saggy, ripped, and they looked like Jackson Pollock practiced on them. I also wore a dark hoody and a stained Cabela's baseball cap. Pretty, huh?

So, I approached a couple waiting for their order from a food truck. They were to the manor-born, as patrician as they come, and that old money was bred into their bones, as they were tall, angular, thin, and handsome.

I asked them if they liked the food truck's grub and they said, "Not really," and we all laughed and started ricocheting from topic to topic. The husband had the confidence and command of some Fortune 100 CEOs I've met and I asked him if he was a retired CEO.

He said he'd been a lawyer and his wife amended, "A very good lawyer."

I wanted to go find some food worth eating, but they didn't want me to leave and I love that about old money, that they're more likely to perceive value beneath the rips and stains than new money, which can be so uncertain of their status that they might flinch from a ragamuffin like me.

It is always nice to have a good conversation where everyone is engaged in it.
You do not have to have much money to be a valued participant.  You can have much money and not be a valued participant and/or not engage some worthy others as valued participants.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

imallie

That sounds like a lovely interaction, O&C.

And if you have said reputation, I must have missed that meeting. *shrug*

BTW, I don't think having money makes people shallow, evil or judgmental by default.

I do, however, think the method by which it was obtained goes A LONG WAY towards giving you a major hint on all of those. And money earned can be a lot different than money given.

People who earned their money are normally grounded and pragmatic. Sometimes people are scared of them and so they seem one way because of those in their circle, but the people themselves usually respect and see the value in everyone. That's how they made their way.

Sometimes money can even buy naïveté - in that people who grew up either wealthy or at least very comfortable pretty much assume everyone else is a good person and has value and no one is looking to take advantage of someone else. Because that's the environment in which they were raised. Admittedly, I may slightly resemble that remark (NOT the wealthy part!).

But you are spot on about new money. Because those are people with something to prove. People with something to prove look at every interaction as a transaction. What do I get out of this? How can this benefit me? The type who are never in a conversation, per se, they are just waiting for someone else to stop talking so they can speak.

In those encounters, you could be wearing a tutu and a Burger King crown or a rodeo clown costume... and it doesn't matter. They're only thinking of themselves.
  •  

Oldandcreaky

QuoteIn those encounters, you could be wearing a tutu and a Burger King crown or a rodeo clown costume... and it doesn't matter. They're only thinking of themselves.

Ha! I've met the type.

I side with Daddy Jack Kerouac: "[...]the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"

I could listen to someone like you, Allie, talk all day. I'd try to earn my place at your Algonquin Round Table by quipping here and there, but mostly, I'd want to listen and laugh.

So true, Chrissy!

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

Colorado Girl

People who have the ability to quickly see past what's on the surface usually are quite successful in what ever they set their minds and hands to do...they also (more quickly than most) appreciate what they've intuited to be on the inside! I'm happy you had an enjoyable encounter!
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Kay226

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on February 28, 2024, 04:53:58 PMHa! I've met the type.

I side with Daddy Jack Kerouac: "[...]the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"

I could listen to someone like you, Allie, talk all day. I'd try to earn my place at your Algonquin Round Table by quipping here and there, but mostly, I'd want to listen and laugh.

So true, Chrissy!

You are more than welcome at any table I'm at any day, my friend...

But while, I admit, I often find it hard to resist telling a story or two, I NEVER tell one when it comes out as "Oh yeah, you think THAT was something? Listen to THIS!".  I, personally, have heard all of my stories... so when I'm with other people I'm much more interested in hearing theirs. Secondarily, I do enjoy entertaining others, especially if someone shared a particularly delightful tale, then I feel like it's the least I can do!

But I love finding out about people.

Ever notice how when you reference something that someone had told you in a previous conversation they are SO APPRECIATIVE? It's nice that you've done something to make them happy in that way, but kind of sad that the bar is so low for most human interactions that people seem floored when they found out that someone else was actually listening when they were speaking.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

Oldandcreaky

QuotePeople who have the ability to quickly see past what's on the surface usually are quite successful in what ever they set their minds and hands to do.

So true. I thought class was the primary current in that conversation, but now I think age was also in play. The couple was old. Me too. So, when I sought their advice, I respected their perspective. I saw them. I didn't see through them. And they reciprocated.

Quote"Oh yeah, you think THAT was something? Listen to THIS!".

That irks me and it's ubiquitous.

QuoteYou are more than welcome at any table I'm at any day, my friend...

I'd be honored.

QuoteI, personally, have heard all of my stories... so when I'm with other people I'm much more interested in hearing theirs.

We are doppelgangers.

QuoteIt's nice that you've done something to make them happy in that way, but kind of sad that the bar is so low for most human interactions that people seem floored when they found out that someone else was actually listening when they were speaking.

Yep.

It is so easy to be kind to someone, but it starts with really looking at them and really listening to them. I was living in Boston on 9-11 and in following days, people were afraid and uncertain. There were fighter jets and AWACS overhead, figure-eighting contrails. But I plodded along, helping people as I always try to help people, and two women were certain I was an angel. I told them I wasn't, but they wouldn't hear it.

One even said, "You've just been earthbound so long that you've forgotten you came from Heaven."

That only lasted a week and everyone reverted to the status quo, but I've never forgotten how small kindnesses can seem as big as the heavens to people in distress.

•  

LoriDee

"One even said, "You've just been earthbound so long that you've forgotten you came from Heaven."

I love this!
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Oldandcreaky

LoriDee, it was a nice compliment, but I felt compelled to correct her.
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on February 29, 2024, 12:08:12 PMLoriDee, it was a nice compliment, but I felt compelled to correct her.

Right. You came from Heaven, but with stops first in Sheboygan WI, Kalamazoo MI, and Paramus NJ.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

As always, try a little kindness with the limited ones too.  They may need it more than you think.

Gosh it is almost March!  This month has flown by quickly.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •