Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

In states with laws targeting LGBTQ issues, school hate crimes quadrupled

Started by Jessica_Rose, March 12, 2024, 06:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

In states with laws targeting LGBTQ issues, school hate crimes quadrupled

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in-states-with-laws-targeting-lgbtq-issues-school-hate-crimes-quadrupled/ar-BB1jKJpU?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=6f472dc0b40e4a718d9fe27be9847ddb&ei=28

Story by Laura Meckler, Hannah Natanson, John D. Harden (12 March 2024)

School hate crimes targeting LGBTQ+ people have sharply risen in recent years, climbing fastest in states that have passed laws restricting LGBTQ student rights and education, a Washington Post analysis of FBI data finds.

In states with restrictive laws, the number of hate crimes on K-12 campuses has more than quadrupled since the onset of a divisive culture war that has often centered on the rights of LGBTQ+ youth.

At the same time, calls to LGBTQ+ youth crisis hotlines have exploded, with some advocates drawing a connection between the spike in bullying and hate crimes, and the political climate.

LGBTQ+ students have long dealt with bullying and harassment at school, but some students are feeling particularly vulnerable due to the wave of legislation. They are also on edge following the death of Nex Benedict, a nonbinary teenager who died after a fight in their Oklahoma public school bathroom.

Young people will say, "`My government hates me,' 'My school hates me,' `They don't want me to exist,'" said Lance Preston, the group's founder and executive director. "That ... is absolutely unacceptable. That is shocking."
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee