Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Which have you read?

Started by Leigh, February 27, 2006, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh

This is on the honor system-no cheating.

What are the titles of any feminist books you have read--Cosmo is not one of them.

•  

Dennis

Second sex - Simone de Beauvoir
In a Different Voice - Carol Gilligan
Lesbian OUTlaw - Ruthann Robson
Alchemy of Race and Rights - Patricia Williams
Backlash - Susan Faludi
Feminism Unmodified - Catherine McKinnon
Sexual Politics - Kate Millet
Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions - Gloria Steinem
The Beauty Myth - Naomi Wolf
Women and Madness - Phyllis Chesler
Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity - Judith Butler
Lesbian/Woman - Del Martin and Phyllis Lyons

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Then there's fiction, like Handmaid's Tale, Color Purple, and Vagina Monologues.

Do I get my feminist boy badge?

Dennis
  •  

Alexandra

wow, I have to put down zero. :o
  •  

Kimberly

Most of my reading is either work (howto, etc.) or entertainment (fiction) related. Consequently, zero.
  •  

Lessa

Quote from: Dennis on February 28, 2006, 01:40:00 AM
Second sex - Simone de Beauvoir
In a Different Voice - Carol Gilligan
Lesbian OUTlaw - Ruthann Robson
Alchemy of Race and Rights - Patricia Williams
Backlash - Susan Faludi
Feminism Unmodified - Catherine McKinnon
Sexual Politics - Kate Millet
Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions - Gloria Steinem
The Beauty Myth - Naomi Wolf
Women and Madness - Phyllis Chesler
Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity - Judith Butler
Lesbian/Woman - Del Martin and Phyllis Lyons

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Then there's fiction, like Handmaid's Tale, Color Purple, and Vagina Monologues.

Do I get my feminist boy badge?

Dennis

WOW!! Yes you most absoultly get your feminist boy badge now! Congrats.

Anyway, I really have not read any feminist books. However, I am going to read The Feminist Mysitque(sp?) once a friend is done reading it.
  •  

Dennis

I think I started Feminine Mystique but never got into it. Second Sex was a real slog too. Took me ages.

Dennis
  •  

Leigh

One of the conservative groups voted Feminine Mystique as #7 on the top ten list of most damaging books of all time.

That alone makes it worth reading.

Dennis in a complimentary play on words:  You have a postgraduate degree in feminism.

I am going back and rereading mine, comparing my views now to what I remember them as being before transition and after.  The view is different.
  •  

Valerie

Quote from: Leigh on February 27, 2006, 10:20:25 PM
This is on the honor system-no cheating.

What are the titles of any feminist books you have read--Cosmo is not one of them.
Well, if I read any years ago I don't recall, but my guess is most likely not.  If C*nt counts, I began reading it a couple weeks ago on recommendation of a Friend (ahem! *wink, wink*) and I am about 1/3 of the way through it...does that have any redeeming power?  ;D

Quote from: Leigh on February 28, 2006, 09:38:58 AM
One of the conservative groups voted Feminine Mystique as #7 on the top ten list of most damaging books of all time.

That alone makes it worth reading.
Where can we get the rest of the list?

Quote from: Leigh on February 28, 2006, 09:38:58 AM
I am going back and rereading mine, comparing my views now to what I remember them as being before transition and after.  The view is different.
I'd be interested in learning more about how your views, and you, have changed over time. Would you be willing to share, dear Leigh?

Valerie
  •  

Dennis

Although the question was addressed to Leigh, I can say one thing that changed for me over time, even before I was consciously aware of wanting to transition, is that a lot of the older feminist materials have a real gender binary. It's very much woman good, man bad. It also has a hierarchy of rights. Under older feminist theory, gender is the primary divide. Race, ability, orientation, social class, gender identity are secondary.

The newer feminism takes a more deconstructionist approach to gender and doesn't require buying into the binary to accept. It also allows a more holistic concept of equality, like in Alchemy of Race and Rights, where there isn't a hierarchy of rights, like gender, then race, then ability, then sexual orientation. Some of the older feminist theory doesn't fit well with women of colour or lesbians, because it basically ignores the "other" difference or relegates it to a different theoretical perspective, so that if you have more than one difference, you have to try and choose between theories or force them to fit.

An example of hierarchical approach to rights was a legal case in Canada, where a wealthy female lawyer challenged the law that made child support taxable. Most recipients of child support are women. Statistically speaking, most women are worse off economically than men. The tax regime where the payor deducts the child support (thereby not paying tax on a higher income) and the recipient pays tax on the child support (at a lower rate) is a net tax savings to the family. It only doesn't work when you have a rich recipient. Nonetheless, this wealthy woman challenged the law and succeeded. Now lots of poorer women get less child support because it's not a tax deduction to the payor so the payor can't pay as much. The Women's Legal Education and Action Fund supported the wealthy woman because most recipients are women. They completely removed economic status from the equation and it didn't even occur to them until years later that although it might have looked like they were acting for a woman, the result of their intervention was that poor women in relation to rich women suffered.

I got in a huge war with the chair of Women's Legal Studies in grad school because I wrote a paper critiquing some feminist legal theory and the necessity of buying into the gender binary in order to make it work. The result was gross injustice to transsexuals and, to some extent to gays and lesbians as well. She trashed my paper and I had to actually appeal the grade to change it. First and last time I did that. I left grad school shortly afterwards. Re-read the paper later and came to the conclusion that the prof simply didn't understand it because she couldn't get her head out of the binary system.

That sounds perhaps a little odd from someone who has transitioned medically and socially, but just because I'm on one end of the gender continuum personally doesn't mean that I buy into the gender binary and think it's universally applicable.

Dennis
  •  

Leigh

Quote from: Valerie on February 28, 2006, 11:57:56 AM

Where can we get the rest of the list?

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591

If you want to read it http://www.h-net.org/~hst203/documents/friedan1.html

For the second chapter put a 2 in.  Example >>friedan2 use 3 and so on until you run out of chapters-duh
  •  

tinkerbell

Hi Leigh:

I have to be honest, not too many, I'm afraid. :icon_nervious:
Just these two:

Amelia Bloomer Project  (and)
Feminist Canon

I know, I know, I should probably add some more to my collection...but this is a good start, right?  Please say yes... ;D

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •  

beatrix

Well, let's see:

Bitch by Elizabeth Wurtzel
The Beauty Myth by Naiomi (sp?) Wolf
SCUM Manifesto by Valerie Solanas (funny stuff)
Bust's Guide to a New Girl Order
The Creation of Patriarchy by Gerda Lerner

Current Reads include: Manifesta by Amy Richards by Jennifer Baumgardner.  Pretty new.  I have got Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch on my shelf, but haven't pulled it out yet.

I read a lot of shorter stuff, I took a few feminist lit classes as an undergrad, including fiction by Cisneros (one of my more favorite authors), Kingston, Aidrianne Rich (Dream of a Common Language is a great book of poems), chapters from Dworkin, etc.

Tinkerbell: that's a fine start.   ;D  Everyone starts somewhere.
  •  

Maggie

Um, you're all gonna think I'm stupid for asking, but would Imajica by Clive Barker count?  It's fiction/fantasy/horror, BUT it has some very feminist ideas and themes and it's really, really interesting.
  •