Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

opie and andy

Started by deneece, March 04, 2006, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deneece

when comming home from work today I had the opportunity to hear some of the opie and andy show on xm radio. My ears perked when i heard the banter about one 19 year old male telling about his dad going thru srs.
   I was appalled at the way these idiots handled the call. They didnt understand how any man could hate their dick. Another comment was  the lenghts that some male will go through to get in to a pair of panties. The hosts of the radio show basically rendered the trans gen as a complete freak.  Later a pre op called to try to educate these 2 clot heads and all they could do is to try to get her to talk like a man.  All these guys need is a straw hat, a finger in their nose and a cousin to have sex with. Their ignorance and intolerance really pissed me off... any one else hear that swiil
  •  

Teri Anne

It's not easy, but sometimes you have to try to turn off the noise (of society) and find peace in yourself and friends who care about you.  I remember, when I was newly post-op, having the misfortune of hearing a minister testifying in front of a bunch of U.S. congressmen (some religious meeting they all were having).  It was televised on CSPAN.  The minister talked of how transsexuals were "butchering themselves with surgeries."  I don't know why but what he said always grated on my mind.  It's kind of like witnessing a horrible accident (or, in war, a horrible killing).  We all have these post-trauma events -- for example, the 9-11 towers falling.  Can't get rid of it.

There's no logic or sense in any of these horrible incidents.  People are going to do stupid and mean things to one another.  Someone once said that one thing our country could do to set ourselves as being different from how the word perceives us is to not kill.  It might be a good idea, given the unrest (and illiteracy) in the world for the U.S to do as doctors vow, "do no harm."  But bombs will drop, and miss, and more people that hate will arise.  If I was a peasant and my family was killed, I would probably feel anger, too.  We have to let go of that anger - these idiots who transsexuals are sooooo funny - and not give them power over us.

Teri Anne

P.S. - My only disagreement with your post is the "Opie and Andy" title.  While the characters on TV were sometimes simple, both Opie and Andy had good warm hearts and wanted, despite sitcom traumas, for everyone to be happy and at peace.  I've heard tales from people who worked on the "Andy Griffith Show" (a friend was the music editor) that everyone in the cast and crew were, as the show depicted, warm, funny and caring.  I think the character Andy would probably take a logical and thoughtful pause, in hearing about transsexuals, and say something like, "Welll, if that's what makes 'em happy, that's the important thing."
  •  

deneece

the opie and andy term is the name of a current program on x m radio... they do use a lot of shock
  •  

RachelSnow

It's Opie and "Anthony"...

They have been AssClowns forever... finally banished to XM Radio after being booted from Infinity for the Sex for Sam 3 incident where a couple was caught having sex in St Patrick's Cathedral. Before that, they were booted from WAAF in Boston for the April Fool's "Mayor Menino is dead" prank.

Their only meaningful contribution to society was "Whip'em Out Wednesday".
  •  

Teri Anne

Glad I missed 'em.  Maybe the kids who like that stuff also watch or perform some of those dumb/dangerous extreme sports.  After all, mindless is as mindless does.  Does jumping off a cliff or skateboarding down a handrail really prove manhood?
  •  

Alexandra

unfortunately ***clowns also dominate AM radio.
  •  

HelenW

The worst part of all this is that crap like that actually SELLS!  People like it!  It's another example of our culture glorifying and rewarding bad behavior and it's no surprise that these types of attitude rub off on our children.  >:(   >:(   >:(

Free speech is one thing but do idiots such as this deserve national exposure?  Let them spout their hate and ignorance as much as they want but don't give them a voice that carries across the nation!

helen
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

Leigh

Quote from: HelenW on March 05, 2006, 11:07:39 AM
  Let them spout their hate and ignorance as much as they want but don't give them a voice that carries across the nation!

By the same token shows like Brokeback Mountain, Trans America could be banned by those who view these shows as wrong.

If I/we expect the right to say what we feel then we must grant those rights to others.  If we do not then we are them.

Leigh
  •  

HelenW

I agree, Leigh.  I'm sorry if I implied that legal recourse should be used to silence people like that.  I think the marketplace and cultural censure would be much more effective.

Turn the A$$@$#es off!
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

Alexandra

Quote from: Leigh on March 05, 2006, 11:28:01 AM
If I/we expect the right to say what we feel then we must grant those rights to others.  If we do not then we are them.

Exactly!
  •