Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How do you like your coffee?

Started by siouxsie, January 21, 2008, 10:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

how do you like your coffee?

Black
46 (21.3%)
With sugar only
12 (5.6%)
With cream only
19 (8.8%)
With both cream and sugar
69 (31.9%)
Coffee?...ewww!
36 (16.7%)
Gave up coffee
6 (2.8%)
Other (please specify)
24 (11.1%)
Black with artificial sweetener
4 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Lisbeth

Well, let's see.
There's mocha with or without either toasted marshmallow or peppermint.
There's latte in a variety of flavors including pumpkin and spice.
Then there's plain old black.

As for the regular/decaf debate, I like the Carabou philosophy:
"If you bought decaf, it wasn't for the kick, so it must have been for the flavor.  Therefore we provide the best tasting decaf available."
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

tekla

Hey if it wasn't for the kick, I'd do speed and skip the Starbucks tab.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Chaunte

How do I like my coffee?  The same way I like my beer - within reach!

Chaunte
  •  

Alyssa M.

I'm from Boston originally and I drink my coffee "regulah" -- lotsa cream, lotsa sugar! (just like The Wolf)

And lots of it!

Wenn ich des Tages nicht dreimal
Mein Schälchen Kaffee trinken darf,
So werd ich ja zu meiner Qual
Wie ein verdorrtes Ziegenbrätchen.

Ei! wie schmeckt der Kaffee süße,
Lieblicher als tausend Küsse,
Milder als Muskatenwein.
    Kaffee, Kaffee muss ich haben,
    Und wenn jemand mich will laben,
    Ach, so schenkt mir Kaffee ein!
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

Purple Pimp

I like my coffee like I like my men: with a spoon in them.

Lia
First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you would do. -- Epictetus
  •  

tekla

Is the spoon where you used it to dig out their heart, or up their nose?
  •  

NicholeW.

Quote from: tekla on February 27, 2008, 09:43:53 PM
Is the spoon where you used it to dig out their heart, or up their nose?

Jeez, tekla, you believe all women are out to do in all men!!?

I'm starting to feel really badly for you. You musta really been down through it.

That sort of pain must be excruciating.

Hugs,

Nichole
  •  

Ms Bev

Mmmmmmm......espresso strength, please.  Black, with aspartame.  I buy a local roaster's whole bean, Mayorga coffee, and grind it fresh, one pot at a time.  I like the darkest, oiliest roast they make, maybe Winter Blend, African Roast, or Cafe Cubana.
Every night before bed I brew a fresh pot, and take 2  20 ounce cups up to bed, drink one straight down, and nibble at the other from sleepy time till dawn, as I wake up frequently.  No, not because of the coffee....'cause I have to pee a couple times a night, because I'm an old(er) lady.....or maybe because
I drink so much coffee.  Hmm.... ???
During the day, only one cup of coffee, but about 6 bottles of water.

Different strokes

Bev
1.) If you're skating on thin ice, you might as well dance. 
Bev
2.) The more I talk to my married friends, the more I
     appreciate  having a wife.
Marcy
  •  

NickSister

I don't get what Americans mean by cream either. In my country cream is considered the fat you take off the top of milk from a cow.

We normally drink coffee or tea with milk (which ranges from 0% fat to something like 3.3% for our standard 'whole' milk - this is more or less what is left from cows milk after you take away the 'cream')

Our cream is like 35% fat, and you can whip it up to add it to deserts - and if you shake it long enough it turns into butter. Putting that in your coffee would be a bit rich, but it is not too bad whipped and placed ontop of a hot chocolate.

I had a look online and I think I have it sorted out Pica pica (see below), I've discovered that in my country we don't even commonly produce or use the thing most Americans call 'cream' domestically, at least not in our coffee. This is probably the same for England.

36% or more butterfat - Heavy whipping cream
30–36% butterfat - Whipping cream or Light whipping cream
25% butterfat - Medium cream  (don't commonly get this in my country)
18–30% butterfat - Light, coffee, or table cream  (don't commonly get this in my country)
10.5-18% butterfat - Half and half (don't commonly get this in my country)
3.25% butterfat - Whole milk
about 2% butterfat - 2% or Reduced fat
1.5-1.8% butterfat - Semi-skimmed
about 1% butterfat - 1% or Low fat
0.5-0.0% butterfat - Nonfat or Skim or Skimmed

In the United States and Canada, a blended mixture of half cream and half milk is often sold in small quantities and is called half-and-half. Half-and-half is used for creaming coffee and similar uses (just a note that if you said you were creaming your coffee in my country it would be taken you were going to have a wank into your drink). In Canada, low-fat cream is available, which has half the fat content of half-and-half. In the United States, skim milk is also known as "fat free" milk, due to USDA regulations stating that any food with less than ½ gram of fat per serving can be labelled "fat free".
  •  

Pica Pica

forget coffee, how do you like your eggs in the morning?
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

buttercup

I like my eggs sunny side up!  With toast and white (milk, not cream) coffee, no sugar.

The girl in the vid was very entertaining.  :)
  •  

Pica Pica

she was enjoying herself. I like 'em scrambled with brown toast and (proper) butter.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Shana A

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5z93Zird4cA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5z93Zird4cA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/yt]

I like mine w/ cream (half and half as we say in USA)

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Hypatia

For me it has to be 100% black, invariably.
I like my coffee unflavored,* black, strong, organic, fair trade. Espresso is my favorite.

*I dislike the commercially-added flavorings. But once in a while I might add certain spices while brewing it-- cardamom (Indian and Arab custom), cinnamon (Mexican), or even ginger (Yemeni). Indians sometimes spice their tea with chai masala and apply similar spices to coffee too: a blend of cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, black pepper, and ginger. If you make filtered drip coffee, do not add powdered cinnamon to it, because in hot water it turns into a thick colloidal goo that won't let the water go through the filter. Use a broken-up cinnamon stick. I once had Arab coffee with mint leaves added, which was surprisingly good.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

foreversarah

Hi,

Coffee, what would I do without it.

Sarah
  •  

amberwish

hot and black.  I don't like any of the flavored coffees.

Amber
I may grow old but I refuse to grow up.
  •  

Lutin

When I have the choice of how I have my coffee (i.e. I make it myself), it has to be milk-based, and has *at least* three teaspoons of espresso coffee (and I don't know how many things of sugar to counter the coffee-y bitterness ;) ::)).
  •  

JackieR

Cool - 15% of us don't like coffee! I am not alone!
  •  

JonasCarminis

omg... coffee... yuuuuummmmm.  when its like... regular coffee that someone made, i add milk and sugar.  so it ends up as only like 1/2 coffee.  but when i get it from a local shop i get either mint mocha (if im feeling rich), mocha, iced mocha, or blended ice mocha.  i like mocha. :)
  •  

tekla

Cool - 15% of us don't like coffee!

No, but you are a real minority.
  •