Susan's Place Logo
Main Menu

VENT <> Passing for me means being attractive

Started by Entropy, September 24, 2026, 07:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Entropy

It's taken over ten years for me to realize this. Is being attractive silently implied? I'm neurodivergent and never picked up on it before.

Hi. I'm transfem. Over 10 years in and post orchi.

It's taken this long for me to realize I'm not masculine, I'm just ugly.

Becoming pretty was the whole point. Instead, people just see I'm visibly trans and try to accommodate.

Now that I know what is actually wrong with my face I realize I need surgeries that I will never be able to get. And even if I do get them, my body dysphoria persists.

Lori Dee ✅

Hello Entropy,

I'm Lori Dee. Welcome to Susan's Place!

I see that you are new here, and this is your first post.

We strive to make this a safe space for you to find information and share your thoughts and comments. No matter who you are, you are always welcome at Susan's Place.

We want to get to know you. Please stop by our Introductions Forum and introduce yourself.

What you are feeling is normal for us. We often have negative thoughts about how we look and what we need to do to change that. The key is to realize they are just negative thoughts and won't get you anywhere. Instead, try changing the thought to something positive. What I do is, instead of saying "I can't," I ask myself, "How can I make this happen?" When you say, "I can't" or "It will never happen," you close the door on any chance it could happen. By changing to a positive, "How can I get this done?" assumes from the beginning that it is possible.

Here is the Standard Orientation Welcome Packet. Please read through it, especially the links at the bottom.

When you click on the HOME button, you will see a page listing all of the various sub-forums by category and topic. Each sub-forum includes a description of what it's about, as well as any posting guidelines.

Please keep in mind when posting that this is an ALL-AGES PUBLIC Forum and the internet never forgets. Do not post anything that you do not want to be made public.

I will add important links below for new and returning members.
Pay special attention to the links in RED.

If you have any questions about the Susan's Place site and the Forums, please feel free to contact me at LoriDee605@outlook.com.

Once again, welcome to Susan's Place!

~ Lori Dee
Forum Staff



Things that you should read




@Entropy
@Northern Star Girl
@Devlyn
@Jessica_Rose
@Mariah
@Sarah B

My Life is Based on a True Story <-- The Story of Lori
The Story of Lori, Chapter 2
Veteran U.S. Army - SSG (Staff Sergeant) - M60A3 Tank Master Gunner
2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019- 2nd Diagnosis / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - FFS & Legal Name Change
/ 2024 - Voice Training / 2025 - Passport & IDs complete - Started Electrolysis!

An ancient prayer:
"King Zeus, grant us the good things, whether we pray for them or not, and keep from us the bad things, even if we pray for them."

HELP US HELP YOU!
Please consider becoming a Subscriber.
Donations accepted at: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/SusanElizabethLarson 🔗
  • skype:.?call
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Lilis, Sarah B

Lori Dee ✅

I would also add that being attractive is not the same thing as passing.

A mistake that many transgender women make is thinking they are the same thing. The logic is that if I look like an attractive woman, then no one will question that I am a woman. But that sets the bar too high, and reaching that goal is very difficult for most people.

You can be very average-looking and still pass. Women come in all shapes, sizes, and levels of attractiveness. Truly attractive people get a lot of attention. They get noticed.

So the question becomes, "Why?" What is the underlying motivation for such a goal?

Everyone wants to be wanted. Everyone wants to be loved. Even ordinary or unattractive people.

Is it because you want men to find you attractive? Men find different things attractive. Some focus on looks, some on intelligence or sense of humor. Some just enjoy being around someone who is fun to be with.

Are you just wanting attention? From anyone? You can do that without looks just by being flamboyant in your style or behavior.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You can't force someone to find you attractive because they decide what they think that means.

I have met quite a few transgender women who focus on looks. They put a lot of effort into their hair, makeup, and clothing style. They draw attention. And they get clocked fairly easily because they stand out.

The ones who pass blend in. They look like every other woman you see on the street. They pass because they look average. They can still be attractive, or not. But most women are attractive, or not.

The question to ask yourself is why you feel that this is what you must do. What does it do to serve your interests? If you are working with a gender therapist, this would be something worth discussing with them. Once you understand the why, then you can focus on the how.
My Life is Based on a True Story <-- The Story of Lori
The Story of Lori, Chapter 2
Veteran U.S. Army - SSG (Staff Sergeant) - M60A3 Tank Master Gunner
2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019- 2nd Diagnosis / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - FFS & Legal Name Change
/ 2024 - Voice Training / 2025 - Passport & IDs complete - Started Electrolysis!

An ancient prayer:
"King Zeus, grant us the good things, whether we pray for them or not, and keep from us the bad things, even if we pray for them."

HELP US HELP YOU!
Please consider becoming a Subscriber.
Donations accepted at: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/SusanElizabethLarson 🔗
  • skype:.?call
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Lilis, Sarah B

KristaFairchild

Quote from: Entropy on September 24, 2026, 07:47:13 PMIt's taken over ten years for me to realize this. Is being attractive silently implied? I'm neurodivergent and never picked up on it before.

Hi. I'm transfem. Over 10 years in and post orchi.

It's taken this long for me to realize I'm not masculine, I'm just ugly.

Becoming pretty was the whole point. Instead, people just see I'm visibly trans and try to accommodate.

Now that I know what is actually wrong with my face I realize I need surgeries that I will never be able to get. And even if I do get them, my body dysphoria persists.
It's interesting that you would post this today because I have some insight into this for myself. 

I'm AMAB, trans femme, age 64. I've never felt attractive in my life. Transitioning made me think that although I feel better, I'm now battling my male body and face, too. Ugly is a word I've used. I hated looking into the mirror. 

I transitioned fully in July. People have been dropping compliments on me. I've been assuming they either pity the ugly trans woman or are supportive of LGBTQ rights and want to affirm me. 

My mind does know that I am not nor have ever been Quasimoto. My heart needs to catch up. I've literally cried during The Hunchback of Notre Dame because I saw myself. 

Today I hung out with someone I haven't seen since before I transitioned. They kept staring at me. Finally they launched into a speech about how good I looked. They were adamant! They denied their opinion was based in anything but reality. 

I mind of almost sort of maybe agreed with them a little bit. 

It's a start.

Maid Marion

Being attractive may be easier than passing!

Models are often androgenous.

It does require a lot of hard work to get the tall thin figure of a model, but many men may be able to achieve that without surgery.  The ideal height range for a female runway model is 5ft9 to 6ft.

It also requires a lot of study to pick clothes that look good on you versus clothes that look good to you.  Seasonal color analysis is like going to graduate engineering school.  Naturally talented engineers learn all they need when they get their bachelor's degree but the additional training teaches the nuances of the craft.

Perhaps the hardest part is the confidence needed to strut your stuff on the runway.
Women are held to impossible beauty standards and it is hard to get past that.

Jillian-TG

We live in a society where there are beauty standards placed on women. And most women HATE it but it's just the way society is unfortunately. So it's natural for a trans woman to incorrectly assume that to "pass" then also need to be attractive. Nope.
There are many cis gender women who are not attractive but nobody is questioning their gender. That's because you don't have to be beautiful to be a woman. It's literally that simple.

Don't confuse passing as a woman with passing as an attractive woman. If you are AMAB then trying to clear the hurdle of being an attractive woman is unreasonable actually. Most cis gender women can't even do it.
AMAB and married to AFAB.
I am gender fluid but live primarily in male mode. My wife knows about my gender identity struggles and we are navigating how to come out and be more public about me being trans.

Blog:
https://www.susans.org/index.php?topic=254926.new#new
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Lori Dee

Karen_A

Quote from: Lori Dee on September 24, 2026, 11:14:37 PMThe logic is that if I look like an attractive woman, then no one will question that I am a woman.

Actually it can cause someone to question if you are not perfect in certain physical ways... Beautiful women draw a lot more attention which means a lot more scrutiny...for passing looking average (or a little less attractive than average) can make passing easier... And that passing can result in the self confidence one needs even if every guy is not making passes at you. That confidence then helps you blend  better and maybe become more attractive... being self conscious and worrying about it will almost always make one less passable
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Lori Dee

ChrissyRyan

I always want to blend in, to simply be that average girl that has always been there but perhaps was overshadowed by the wow looking women.  I guess I do okay.


Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.  Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Help connect a person to someone that may be able to help that person.  Be brave, be strong.  A TRUE friend is a treasure.  Relationships are very important, people are important, and the sooner we all realize that the better off the world will be.  Try a little kindness.  Be generous with your time, energy, wisdom, and resources.   Inconvenience yourself to help someone.   I am a brown eyed, brown haired woman. 
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Lori Dee

KristaFairchild

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on September 25, 2026, 08:04:11 PMI always want to blend in, to simply be that average girl that has always been there but perhaps was overshadowed by the wow looking women.  I guess I do okay.


Chrissy

So much more than ok! 

Also, I enjoy your supportive, optimistic posts not just in this conversation, but everywhere. And the positivity and hope are legitimate. Thank you, Chrissy!
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Lori Dee

big kim

Some non passing transwomen are attractive. There's a stunning looking former wrestler, over 6ft tall,athletic muscular build with long legs and multiple tattoos who is absolutely stunning. Can't remember her name but sure she's American.
Beauty is from within in many cases. The late Jane Goodall was one of the most beautiful women even at 91.
For 10 years I was discouraged from transition because I thought and was told you had to pass. I'm 6'2, heavily built with a growly voice. Never wear makeup,skirts,dresses or heels.I have my own long silver hair that helps me standout yet blend in somehow. I look OKish,especially for 68.
There's more to life than passing and the latest trendy fashions.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Lori Dee

Jillian-TG

Quote from: big kim on September 26, 2026, 01:05:16 AMSome non passing transwomen are attractive. There's a stunning looking former wrestler, over 6ft tall,athletic muscular build with long legs and multiple tattoos who is absolutely stunning. Can't remember her name but sure she's American.
Beauty is from within in many cases. The late Jane Goodall was one of the most beautiful women even at 91.
For 10 years I was discouraged from transition because I thought and was told you had to pass. I'm 6'2, heavily built with a growly voice. Never wear makeup,skirts,dresses or heels.I have my own long silver hair that helps me standout yet blend in somehow. I look OKish,especially for 68.
There's more to life than passing and the latest trendy fashions.

I've seen that former wrestler posting videos online - either TikTok or facebook. Also can't remember her name but yes she's super confident and has a great personality. That makes up for any lack of femininity she may have. Attitude is everything.
AMAB and married to AFAB.
I am gender fluid but live primarily in male mode. My wife knows about my gender identity struggles and we are navigating how to come out and be more public about me being trans.

Blog:
https://www.susans.org/index.php?topic=254926.new#new
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Lori Dee