Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Shaving Problems

Started by Rose Dawson, June 07, 2005, 07:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rose Dawson

I recently started shaving my inner thighs (using a sensitive skin razor and shaving gel) and things looked great up until a week ago.

The problem is that I've developed these red bumps, which have turned into huge red bumps, that are extremely itchy and unsightly looking. Is this a common problem of in-grown hairs? Has anyone else experienced this? And finally......any quick way to get rid of them?  ???

Thank you!  ;D
  •  

Vicky

Hard to say if they are ingrown hairs, you should be able to figure that out over time. As if you continue having them, and they don't get less and less as you shave them over time. See a doctor, and get checked out. I say this because with myself, after two years of shaving, things got worse and worse, and it was due to an over production of histamines in my body, so for me, taking benadrill solved the problem. But honestly, it's hard to tell very early on.

It's kind of ironic, my own TSness, caused me to find a cancer in it's early stages.
  •  

Alison

change your razor... it could be boils .. if you shave over a boil, and you cut it open, the stuff inside is contageous... they'll spread.... I wouldn't shave untillt he bumps go away and try a new razor... see if that might help....

it also could be razor rash... try shaving evey 3rd day or so instead of every day for a while....

make sure you're using warm water... use baby oil or lotion afterwords :)
  •  

AmyNYC

I know we live in a world where the sun is our enemy, and we're supposed to lather on 4,000 SPF lotion every 60 seconds, but...

When I started shaving my legs a year ago the bumps got really bad, but they went away after a month or so.  Whether or not it had anything to do with the fact that I was going to the tanning bed at the time... I don't know.  Ever since then I usually have some sort of bumps on my inner thighs, but they're no where near as bad as they were initially.  I find that when I have even a little color on my skin, aka a tan, everything clears up nicely.

For example, I had little bumps there until about two weeks ago, which is when I went to the beach for the first time this year.  I have a nice tan now, and they are as clear as they've ever been.
  •  

Debtv

Here is a secret my gf told me....rub Neosporin (or any antibiotic cream) where you are having problems..right after shaving!

I works wonders!

Love
Deb
  •  

Leigh

Go to your local health food store and buy some 99% pure Aloe Vera gel.

Use it instead of soap or lather.  I will bet it won't happen again.  I have used it for years amd have never had any problems even when I just leave a lil happy trail  ;D
  •  

ChefAnnagirl

A couple of wonderful things i have discovered.... Leigh's suggestion about the aloe is totally correct, but be careful if you have sensitive skin or chemical allergies, as even some that are marked "99%" pure, will have added color or other conditioning ingredients. In some places, you can actually get 100% pure, which has no color or added scent. As well, its even better if you can find, grow, or keep a live aloe plant (or plants) handy, as this form is the purest and freshest available to you, with all living enzymes still intact. Aloe is a powerful healing agent and will work for almost any burn, cut, scrape, or irritation, including those caused by shaving.

Last year, i went and bought one of those Norelco Cool Skin electric razors with the three floating heads, and it has been a wonderfully effective gift to myself for nearly razor-smooth legs and other areas such as chest and abdomen, as well as my face, while im still only doing laser treatments at the moment... But be careful - these things can also easily burn and irritate, especially in sensitive skin areas such as armpits, groin, backs of thighs. Once my skin got used to it, after a couple of weeks, generally no problem, except underthe arms and inner thighs. I regularly use a good exfoliating scrub such as St. Ives Apricot or St. Ives for Oily/Acne skin, and scrub real sensitive areas real good with that or something like a loofah prior to using the electric... It helps to prep the skin before assault by electric or other razor and really seems to help a lot... As well, Neutrogena makes a great little soap bar for clearing skin blemishes that's also a really good soft but effective skin exfoliator - i'll use a combination of these things sometimes, and only if i really need to save time and want the absolutley silky look on my legs - will go back to a razor at this point....

As well, what DebTV said about neosporin cream or ointment, i discovered on my own several months ago, and it also really seems to help in really keeping irritations at bay.

Usually, once out of the shower and shave, and while my skin is still a little moist, i'll combine a drop or two of that with a little cortisone cream or pure aloe gel, rub down the potentially irritated areas real good, and then moisturize my entire body with a real good neutral moisturizer. I use Lubriderm for sensitive skin, which contains no dyes, perfumes or other potentailly irritating agents and i love it every day of my life.... From all ive read and seen before, it's also really most important to regularly moisturize, especially if you are already on HRT, as i have read many times it will dry out the skin (someone please correct me on this if i'm wrong)...

Best of luck and much Love always,

ChefAnnagirl
Level the playing field
  •  

LynnER

I had that problem too,  I found that zit creams worked great on them.  Turns out a great deal were ingrowns though.  Try waxing  *Shrugs*
  •  

april

I have that problem a lot of the time to because my hair is so thick. Normally if i just shave my legs with the flow of the hair every other day and only shave against the way the hair grows on days that im wearing skirts and things that show my legs it helps. It also helps to have a good in shower lotion. ^_^
  •  

LostInTime

Good hair conditioner makes hair stand up, making it a perfect and cost effective shaving lotion.  Started doing this a couple of months ago and when I am done, my skin is VERY smooth.  :)
  •  

Shelley

I'm with April shaving with the direction of growth particularly in the begining works. Once you have been shaving there for a while you can ocassionally shave against the growth increasing the time between shaving that way. Conicidently that process works for young men who are just starting out in shaving. The other stuff suggested is good for treating symptoms. I also use a good moisturiser after I shave.

Shelley
  •  

Jailyn

I love this topic shaving problems. How do you accurately shave behind your thighs? A mirror or what? I can't exactly see my behind and it is hard to tell if I got everything shaved back there. Any suggestions?
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: Jailyn on June 18, 2017, 12:21:03 PM
I love this topic shaving problems. How do you accurately shave behind your thighs? A mirror or what? I can't exactly see my behind and it is hard to tell if I got everything shaved back there. Any suggestions?
I just do it by feel.  You really don't need to see it.  Just rinse the razor and keep shaving until your leg feels smooth and there is no hair in the razor.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •