Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

"Metrosexual"/"Gay" look

Started by Veetje, February 03, 2008, 06:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veetje

I am male bodied and I dress with a mixture of trendy and some of my own input, but what bothers me is that I sometimes I get the idea people think I am Metrosexual or Gay...which I am both totally not. Are there some others who experience this problem?

I think my main struggle is presenting myself as a little more femme(clothing, jewelry, hair- I have midlong curly hair that I get so tired of, I want long straight hair-) since I partially simply dont dare to do that. I am extremely conciousness of myself and what I do and and fear is something that easily takes me over and makes my body go shiver

Its really something I keep thinking about
  •  

Keira

You can't really stop how people will think of you.
You know who you are and that's what's important.
The people who really care if your metro or gay are probably not
worth knowing anyway.

50 year ago, a man with hair 2 inch long
was seen as some kind of slacker or subversive and probably not
employable, while now nobody cares. If people thinking your
metro is the worse that can happen, well that's not so bad
in my book unless you live in a lumber camp in idaho.

•  

Kendall

Unfortunately Gender is not known or talked about as much as orientation outside of large cities in many countries/states/provinces. So that the metro/gay connection to male bodied dressing feminine is I think almost inevitable. And doing so would require a great deal of courage and bravery (even if one is truely metro or gay). I think if one adds talking in a feminine voice would almost dead on such prejudgement.

I have dressed mixed gender in public in various things. And have probably had all sorts of judgements and thoughts concerning me.

Currently I worry more about it at my new job. I haven't gained up courage to confront anyone's opinions like I did at my prior job. And I have a more strict dress code that eliminates any wiggle room.
  •  

Pica Pica

wouldn't matter what i wear, i wear the same work clothes as everyone else and they think i'm gay.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Lukas-H

Quote from: Pica Pica on February 03, 2008, 04:03:31 PM
wouldn't matter what i wear, i wear the same work clothes as everyone else and they think i'm gay.

They are of course wrong though. The answer of what you are isn't "gay" it's "the beautiful and wonderful pica" :)

Posted on: February 04, 2008, 06:12:27 AM
Quote from: Veetje on February 03, 2008, 06:18:18 AM

I am male bodied and I dress with a mixture of trendy and some of my own input, but what bothers me is that I sometimes I get the idea people think I am Metrosexual or Gay...which I am both totally not. Are there some others who experience this problem?

I think my main struggle is presenting myself as a little more femme(clothing, jewelry, hair- I have midlong curly hair that I get so tired of, I want long straight hair-) since I partially simply dont dare to do that. I am extremely conciousness of myself and what I do and and fear is something that easily takes me over and makes my body go shiver

Its really something I keep thinking about

I have to agree with what Ken/Kendra said that most people making the (false) connection between your clothing style and your orientation is unfortunate and inevitable. I've never had that problem though, as I am female bodied, but I have had people on occasion give me strange looks or say strange things because I did not dress like the typical female-bodied person dresses.

I still have trouble understanding sometimes why some people will think a male bodied person is gay or secretly wants to be female because they have long hair. I don't have a lot of social "experience" but I knew of several guys that had hair longer than some females I knew, but I don't think I ever heard anyone call them gay. Perhaps I just haven't paid enough attention ???

Regardless, it will be hard for you to get away from the silly discrimination and stereotypes, the best I can tell you is to continue to be yourself and dress how you like and forget the people who want to judge you because of it.
We are human, after all. -Daft Punk, Human After All

The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all. -Mulan
  •  

Autumn

Apparently wearing a womens' shirt to church enrages Baptists.

Let's face it, 'androgynous' is basically a blended gender-neutral look. You're going to get called a faggot or a sissy or metro in any way you slice it unless you're David Bowie and metro is the better one here.

Androgyny is pretty metro though. Dressing in above averagely stylish clothing with good grooming habits? Yeah...

This generation's labels are pointless anyway, thanks to people being stupid. What's really "emo" any more? Yeah...
  •