Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Razor: electric or blade

Started by Terra, March 22, 2006, 05:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terra

Is it possible to get as close a shave with an electric razor as a fixed blade one? If so, what electric razors would you suggest?
"If you quit before you try, you don't deserve to dream." -grandmother
  •  

HelenW

Luana, I think the answer to your question is no. 

I use a Norelco triple head razor on my face and I've used it on my legs.  The regrowth is noticeable much sooner if I use the electric.  This is less true if I let the hair grow a bit before using it.  I think their "pull and cut" gimmick works better under those conditions.

I sometimes dry shave using a disposable two bladed razor after shaving my face with the electric to get the rough spots.  A little irritating but not fatal (LOL).

helen
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hello Luana.

I think that it is safe to say that blade razors shave closer than electric razors, but then there are so many variations of both the it would be quite expensive to try each:

Single blades, double blades, triple blades, and so on.  Then there are the single, or double or triple head electric razors, and to add to those you have the single double and even triple head foil electric razors.

To complicate matters a little more you have to deal with the type of beard you have, is it heavy, light, or  fine or coarse.  I would assume that you are using some form of razor now and if it is working for you then I would stick with it.  But in the end you will need to try things out.

There are just as many different technics for shaving to get a very close shave and I'll let others expand on that.  Many people first shave with the grain and then shave against the grain, but you would need to try it out as the is a greater risk of cuts and causing a rash or burn with shaving against the grain.

Another option is to use a blade razor daily and an electric/battery razor for touch-ups towards that 5 o'clock shadow time that some men suffer.

Just my 2 cents.

Steph
  •  

Hazumu

I love the irony--

A bunch of girls sitting around talking about how best to shave their faces  ;D

I'm taking a different tack.  I'd like to find a shaver that LEFT stubble.  That way I could create a visually consistent look from day to day.

And people wouldn't notice that, little by little, the stubble was getting thinner and thinner, receeding...

Karen
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: Karen on March 25, 2006, 01:56:12 PM
I'm taking a different tack.  I'd like to find a shaver that LEFT stubble.  That way I could create a visually consistent look from day to day.

And people wouldn't notice that, little by little, the stubble was getting thinner and thinner, receeding...

Karen

Believe me Karen i really don't think that people will notice that your facial hair is getting less and less, and even if they did what would be the big deal.  It's none of their business to start with.  Don't worry about it. :)

Steph
  •  

Hazumu

Quote from: Stephanie Craxford on March 25, 2006, 04:31:18 PM
Believe me Karen i really don't think that people will notice that your facial hair is getting less and less, and even if they did what would be the big deal.  It's none of their business to start with.  Don't worry about it. :)

Steph;

You're right, I don't expect them to notice, and it is none of their business.  But a consistent look is even less noticeable than skipping shaving altogether on Thursday and Friday.  I'm POSITIVE they'll never notice my face getting less and less scraggly-looking  >:D

--I'm easily amused that way--

Karen  ;)
  •  

Teri Anne

Karen,

With electrology, people will notice the red bumps but, as they heal, many said to me, "You're looking younger.  What's your secret?"

You smile and walk away saying, "That's my secret."

Teri Anne
  •  

Shannon

Electric razors do a fair job, but as others have mentioned the stubble comes back much sooner than it will with a regular blade razor.  I use two blade razors myself.  I use a Mach 3 for my face only and a Venus shaver for my legs and body.  Can't see the real benefit of having any more than three blades on a blade shaver, even though the industry has four and soon five-bladed shavers available on the market.   ::)

Shannon
  •  

Gabrielle

I am lazy in the morning and don't want to bother with shaving cream on my face so I use a electric razor.  It does come back faster and I keep another electric at work for theat 5 O'Clock shadow.  But I prefer shaving my legs.  I'd love to get waxed, but that might have to wait til SRS since I'd want a Brazilian.
  •  

Natalie_Danielle

I have tried just about every kind of electric razor and regular razor out there.  Regular razors give me the worst case of razor bumps and I end up looking like I ran through a briar patch. Mean while most electrics don't do a decent job. However I did run across one electric that is great.  Take a look at the Panasonic Wet/Dry electrics.  You can take it right into the shower and you can use your favorite shaving cream or other similar goo and the razor won't mind a bit.  And it gives a darn close shave. Equal to most regular razors I have used.

The only down side is the cost.  The cheap versions don't work worth a darn, so you are stuck buying the top of the line.  I paid around $100 for my current Panasonic Wet/Dry.  Its a lot but for me it is the only way I don't hurt every morning.  However I usually do get around 3 years of life out of them before they need replaced  or serviced.

•  

Melissa

Quote from: Shannon on March 25, 2006, 09:24:08 PM
Electric razors do a fair job, but as others have mentioned the stubble comes back much sooner than it will with a regular blade razor.  I use two blade razors myself.  I use a Mach 3 for my face only and a Venus shaver for my legs and body.  Can't see the real benefit of having any more than three blades on a blade shaver, even though the industry has four and soon five-bladed shavers available on the market.   ::)

Shannon

I use the venus in the Shower and also have a Mach 3 (needs more blades).  I also have one of the 5-blade razors (yes, they're already available) and I would have to say it does do a better job, but only marginally.

Melissa
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Luana on March 22, 2006, 05:53:39 PM
Is it possible to get as close a shave with an electric razor as a fixed blade one? If so, what electric razors would you suggest?

I can *eventually* get a closer shave with an electric by repeatedly going over each area. However, this naturally causes a great deal of irritation as well.

I can only get so close with a blade - multiple strokes beyond a certain point do nothing other than draw blood.

So if I want a quick, comfortable, reasonably close shave... blades work great for me.

If I want the closest possible shave and am willing to put up with irritated skin... an electric works best.
  •