Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Do M2F's like "chick flicks?"

Started by Teri Anne, March 31, 2006, 12:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teri Anne

I have to admit that I like movies about romantic inter-personal relationships more than "action" movies.  It's not an absolute rule.  If the heroes are clever, like in "Fugitive" or "Italian Job," than I can be entertained.  But give me a romantic comedy ("Dave," "Gump," "Phenomenon," "Big," "A Little Romance," "As Good As It Gets," "Sleepless In Seattle," "A Time To Remember," "You've Got Mail," and "Goodbye Girl") and I'm in heaven.  I can (okay, don't laugh!) watch these movies over and over.  When there's a whole Saturday of them on TBS, I often will watch them back to back, all day (even when I have them on DVD).  I sometimes ponder if the estrogen has heightened my emotion response to hugs and kisses.  I could care less about sex scenes -- give me a scene where there's been a conflict between two characters and they come together and hug -- it's nervana!  "Hard science" tells us that people feel a release of the hormone, oxytocin, when people (particularly mothers with their babies) hug or touch -- it is SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN that it gives us a feeling of two things: peace and happiness. 

When there is tension in romantic comedies, I can RELATE TO that tension (far more so than, say, fighting bad guys).  When I see hugs in the movies, it's like I'm reLIVING hugs I've received in my life.  When the couple gets together at the end, it reminds me of the brief moments of happiness I've had in my life when that has happened.  And it rekindles my hope that, someday, like the heroes on the silver screen, I'll have a happy ending.  With someone.

I presumed that most M2F's would be like me but, of course, it's impossible and unfair to generalize about anything.  My GG sister in law, for example, loves "slasher/horror" pictures.  I note that a lot of the movies on the "Lifetime" (supposidly the "women's channel") have the "woman in jeapardy" plots (a man is trying to kill a woman).  A recent post at "Susan's" indicates that several of the TS's here choose mainly action/battle movies as their "favorite movies" (not that there's anything wrong with that).  It's just that this makes me wonder...

Are there other TS's out there like me?

Teri Anne
  •  

Melissa

It depends on my mood.  I love both romantic movies and action movies.  I have a new appreciation for romantic movies with my new HRT, because I feel so many more emotions than I used to.  Also, if I'm in an action movie, sometimes I like to see some good fights or car races.  Then there's also Sci-fi movies (especially robotics and such) that I like watching as well.  Oh, then there's comedy.  I like a number of different genres.

Melissa
  •  

madison

Well Teri Anne, I'm not a transitioning TS, and only have the hormones I came with (er, produce currently or whatever), but I will tell you that I am a big sucker for "chick flicks" and other "feel good" or emotional films. I am admittedly a cinema snob, and being an amateur writer, I still require a modicum of "quality" in any film as it pertains to the content of the story itself. Nonetheless I take so much heat from friends for some of the movies that I enjoy or suggest watching. I am also somewhat slanted towards the artful (the artistically inclined don't say artsy) so that has some affect on my selections.

One of my favorite style of films are period pieces such as: Howard's End, Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Dangerous Liasons (um, not exactly a typical chick flick), Enchanted April, Shakespeare in Love, Triumph of Love, Girl with a Pearl Earring, and Somewhere in Time. There are the classics like Breakfast at Tiffany's, any Audrey Hepburn really. The eighties had some wonderful "chick flicks" that some crossover value such as Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Say Anything, and one of my all time favorites Some Kind of Wonderful. Some more recent additions would be Muriel's Wedding, The Prince and Me, Love Actually, Mona Lisa Smile, The Hours, Don Juan De Marco, Mumford, Pieces of April, Finding Neverland, and the list goes on and on.

My emotions know no limits however and find satisfaction even outside of the classic "chick flick" genre. I am also a sucker for feel good epic films such as Lord of the Rings; I was in such tears when Sam Gangee jumped into the river because he would not let Frodo go on alone (I'm almost in tears thinking about it). Not to mention the romance between Aragorn and Arwen, and the countless other times I was driven to tears or near tears. I enjoy these movies I think because they distill good and evil into easily identifiable forms, good is good and evil is evil. The struggles and battle scenes are only rewarding because of the resulting emotional high from defeating evil. This extends further to movies such as Braveheart where the struggle for freedom is more important than anything else, talk about an emotional movie. Or even something like a Saving Private Ryan that is so much more than a war story, that last scene when he is standing in the cemetary, I just fall apart. Then there are the amazing feel good movies like Shine, The Princess Bride, Amelie, and A Very Long Engagement.

But two of my all time favorite movies, especially as they relate to emotional response and extraordinary stories would be Hedwig and the Angry Inch AND Wings of Desire. Amazing amazing films. Nay, amazing stories.

So I guess my movie tastes extend beyond your typical chick flicks, but there are few things more satisfying than an amazing story put onto film. However, the chick flick remains a dirty little secret I refrain from mentioning to most of cinema friend snobs. And really, when it comes right down to it, if you don't tell my friends, I will watch any romantic comedy out there.  ;)

Posted at: 2006.03.30, 11:48:58

In light of Melissa's post even before I finished mine, I have to say for the record, that I don't think I could even handle an increase in emotional impact were I to take hormones. I'm already a wreck after an emotionally impactful film. I think I would collapse from exhaustion or something. But remember don't tell anyone.

In fact, my friends and I often have post movie discussions and critiques, and sometimes I just have to bow out of the discussion because I have to fully absorb and get over the movie first, before I can start doing any kind of critical thinking or analyzing.

Perhaps it all started from being a young voracious reader with an immense imagination, or maybe my hormones are in fact "not normal" :)

Anyway, fun topic, thanks.
  •  

NightAngel

Absolutely Teri Anne I like them very much, specially this one which you already mention,

Quote("Dave," "Gump," "Phenomenon," "Big," "A Little Romance," "As Good As It Gets," "Sleepless In Seattle," "A Time To Remember," "You've Got Mail," and "Goodbye Girl") and I'm in heaven.

I remember that before "As Good As It Gets" I didn't liked Jack Nicholson too much but after that movie is he one of my favourite actor  :) . Did you seen ''Something's Gotta Give'' with Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson? Another one for my collection. :).

Also I liked very much ''While you were sleeping'', ''Six Days,Seven Nights'' and maybe will not agree everybody but I liked and still do also the ''Dirty Dancing''.

and as Melissa already pointed out,it depend on my mood, I like action, sci-fi,comedy,scarry movies and also cartoon movies and lately we have a few good one  :).

Michelle
  •  

stephanie_craxford

I like "Chick" flicks but not exclusively.  The one that I enjoyed the most was "My First Mister" with Lee Lee Sobieski <sp>.  It's a wonderfully simple story and I must have watched it at least four times and I would definitely watch it again.

Although I've have definitely become more emotional over the past year, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with HRT, as it is not supposed to directly effect emotions.  I'm convinced that it's because I'm now living full time and I am now able to be who I was supposed to be, and that I have the peace of mind to live my life as it was meant to be.  Who the heck knows :)

Steph
  •  

Dennis

And from the journey to the other side....I tend to get fairly bored with chick flicks. I was even before testosterone. I remember my ex rented one, "Fire", that she and other women friends were all enthusiastic about. I'm not sure if I stayed awake for the whole thing, but I do recall at the end complaining that there were no car crashes.

Give me action, sci fi, or a good comedy over a chick flick any day.

Dennis
  •  

Kate

Quote from: madison on March 31, 2006, 01:55:29 AMIn light of Melissa's post even before I finished mine, I have to say for the record, that I don't think I could even handle an increase in emotional impact were I to take hormones.

Yea, that's been concerning me as well. I've always teared up during emotional scenes, but I could *usually* control it, keep it somewhat subdued and limited to a trickle of tears.

But ever since I've been peeling apart my psyche these last few months, that control is just.... gone. It just pours out now, and not just tears... I mean *crying*, sobbing, no retraint whatsoever. And truth be told, it FEELS great to not (be able to) hold back. BUT... it also scares me that I can't restrain or predict it when around others. I can't imagine it getting *worse* with HRT.

"Chick flicks" often seem specifically designed to milk "feminine" emotions, just as shallow action flicks are designed to draw out masculine aggression. If the plot was obviously created in order to create a specific reaction, then I'll get bored and it won't affect me so much. It's just so much "fluff."

On the other hand, if the storyline is well done, I can be a basket case for days afterwards, lol. I just saw "Brokeback Mountain" last night for example, and I'm still shaken up by it. It surprised me, as it's a very subdued movie... you don't realize how much emotional tension has been building in you until the end...
  •  

Teri Anne

Melissa - Yeah, I like various genres, too.  The car chases in "Bullit," "French Connection" or "Italian Job" had me at the edge of my seat.  Comedies like "Young Frankenstein,"  "High Anxiety,"  and any Laurel and Hardy movie tickle my funny bones.  "10" and "Foul Play" had the great combination of romance and comedies.  "Harold and Maude" mixed black comedy with romance.  Regarding sci-fi, that Spielberg flick where the little boy was a robot got to me.

Madison - Glad you joined our little group.  I'm an amateur writer, also.  You bring up a lot of interesting wonderful films.  I like those period films, too, especially "Sense and Sensibilities" -- such a wonderful surprise end -- she was so reserved and then...!  Thanks for sharing how EMOTIONAL you get when you watch some films.  Though I'm not a lover of violent films, I couldn't help myself, like you, with "Braveheart."  What an epic romantic hero.  And, like you, some war films I find to be incredibly emotional.  You start with the fact that it's really difficult to find your true love soulmate.  And yet, you put that aside to go fight in a war?  I find it amazing.  "The Best Years of Our Lives" was, for me the ultimate "coming home" movie.

Michelle - Yes, I saw "Something's Gotta Give" - Keaton was positively RADIANT and Jack Nicholson was cutely irreverant as ever.  "While You Were Sleeping" and "Six Days Seven Nights" are two MORE movies I watch over and over and never tire of them.  With so many films knocking families at Christmastime, it's nice to see a woman without a family get semi-adopted by a wonderful family.  Along these lines, I loved "The Majestic," the only movie (perhaps) wherein Jim Carrey didn't over-act.  What a wonderful story of a man finding courage, love and the adoration from his new adopted town.  Reminded me of the "Twilight Zone" where the guy gets off a present-day train and finds himself in an idylic early 1900's town.

Steph - Can't remember if I saw "My First Mister."  I'll put that on my "to do" file.  You said, "I've have definitely become more emotional over the past year, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with HRT, as it is not supposed to directly effect emotions."  I can't imagine anyone saying that it doesn't affect emotions.  Do docs really say that?  For me, it definitely heightened whatever I was feeling.  If I was sad, I was SAAAD.  If I was HAPPY, it made me a lot happier.  I've heard it being compared with marijuana (though obviously more subtle) in its capability of heighteniing emotions.  I've always thought that F2M's have it easier because the testosterone gives them confidence and more even emotions.  As years pass (with HRT), as I've mentioned, my emotional swings have become more close to flatline.

Dennis - Glad you contributed, too!  Always nice to hear from the other side, lol.  Your tale of women friends appreciating a movie and your not appreciating it ("no car crashes") reminded me of that scene in "Sleepless In Seattle" where the men kid the women about how emotional they are about "A Time to Remember."

Kate - Though you feel apprehensive about your high emotions, it could be, as a I mentioned above, that your body will level out your emotions the longer you're on HRT.  That was my experience.  You mentioned movies "milking feminine emotions" vs. "shallow action flicks" that draw out masculine aggression.  I think either extreme is boring if it is not done with intelligence and realism.  Car chases that are a succession of cars going around corners, bashing through carts, driving down sidewalks are, for me, tedious.  If they do new different things in their chases, then that sparks interest.  For example, the TV show "Moonlighting" used to have wacky offbeat chases -- in one, both cars had flat tires and were chasing each other while driving on the rims.

It's funny what appeals to different people.  I get bored when seeing hundreds of computer generated people fight battles.  But kids today, growing up with shoot-em-up video games, are very excited.  Other people love ACTING.  So many reviews state that so and so did such great acting.  I go to see it and, on the screen, see actors shouting and throwing plates at one another.  To me, that's not the test of good acting.  To me, it's taking the dull lines of most television dramas ("I think the perp went around that corner") and making it something special.  Morgan Freeman, for example, could read a phone book and make it sound interesting.  His voice gave "Shawshank Redemption" a warm heart.

And, I guess that's what a lot of women (and men) want in a movie -- not just actors moving around quickly to the THUMP THUMP of a music rhythm film score.  Whether it's in the U.S, France, Italy, Greece -- if we see an EMOTION we can identify with, then we're into it, wanting to follow that character wherever he or she goes.

Oop, excuse me.  I think I hear Jane Seymour calling me from "Somewhere In Time..."

"Yes, yes.  It's me!"

Teri Anne
  •  

Kimberly

Meh. I kind of shied away from having my heartstrings pulled when I was younger... I generally won't watch a movie if I can tell that is what their primary aim is. *shrug*

Perhaps influenced by too many viewing of Watership Down (1978) when I was quite young (less than 10)... That movie hurt every time I watched it, and is one of the few DVDs I want to get my paws on but do not want to watch...
  •  

Shannon

I too enjoy watching many chic flicks.  One I have watched the most is "Dirty Dancing" with Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey.  Other chic flicks I enjoyed were "Coyote Ugly", "Anywhere but Here" with Susan Sarandon and Natalie Portman, and "When a Man Loves a Woman" with Meg Ryan and Andy Garcia.  I never really liked slasher/horror or sci-fi films either, they gross me out too much.  I do enjoy action and battle movies like "Roadhouse" with Patrick Swayze and Sam Elliott and "To Hell and Back" with Audie Murphy.  I also enjoy watching comedies such as "Pushing Tin" with Billy Bob Thorton and John Cusack and "Night Shift" with Shelly Long, Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton.  Even enjoy watching offbeat comedies such as "Better Off Dead" with John Cusack and Diane Franklin, "School of Rock" with Jack Black and "Sorority Boys" with Michael Rosebaum.  I don't think taking hormones has any bearing on what your movie preferences are or will be.  Thats my opinion. 

Shannon     
  •  

umop ap!sdn

Well to answer the question in the thread title, I'd say this one does, although I haven't seen most of the movies mentioned in this thread. Action movies just get me all tensed up.

Comedy's number 1 with me though.  ;D
  •  

Alexandra

there aren't enough good movies being made so basically, I'll watch nearly any genre if it is compelling enough.
  •  

NightAngel

Yes the ''Sorority Boys'' it's also one of the movies which I like.

But what about those movies, do you still remember  '' Some Like It Hot '' with Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon from 1959.  :D
or '' 50 First Dates '' with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler from 2004 or '' Guess Who '' with Zoe Saldana, Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher from 2005.

Just a few more movies which I watching over and over again.

Michelle
  •  

Shannon

Another movie I enjoy watching is "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar," with Patrick Swayze, Westley Snipes, and John Leguizamo.   As a side note to this movie, I always did think Julie Newmar was by far the best actress ever to play Catwoman on Batman!  She was so statuesque!   :angel: 

Shannon
  •  

jan c

Well I tend towards David Lynch, and, like, Natural Born Killers, but I gotta admit my favorite seasons of The X-Files were when Mulder and Scully finally got together. real tear-jerkers...
The point is emotional depth is key to me, and always was.
  •  

christy-lee

well i tend to cry in things too easily ever since i stoped fighting my feminine side and whenever an emotional type moment regardless of what it is, it cud be a action movie, and have a sad moment in it and i wud cry, so i tend to stay away from chick flicks so i dont cry too much
  •  

Robyn

One of my clues that I wasn't a macho man was the propensity to cry during movies (even when singing the national Anthem at sporting events).

When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for us to stand on or we will be taught to fly. — Patrick Overton
  •  

Louise

I think that the two best films of the past year were "Pride and Prejudice" and "Brokeback Mountain", both of which featured relationships more than action, although probably only P&P was a "chic flick"  (I know it is one of my wife's favorites).  In general I like all kinds of movies if they are good.  My wife will watch the Lifetime chanel movies, but I will not; she doesn't care much for either violence or foul language.  I do not like the blood and gore horror films, but I do not shy away from violence in films like "The Godfather" films or "Reservoir Dogs".

Some of my favorite movies include "Dr. Strangelove". "The Third Man", "Some Like It Hot", "Tootsie", "Priscilla Queen of the Desert", "High Noon". "The Mission", "Thelma and Louise" (of course), and "West Side Story".  I don't think many of these are chick flicks, (some do not even have leading female roles) but they all have interesting characters in often unconventional roles.
  •