Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Out in public... finally!

Started by Chaunte, April 08, 2006, 10:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaunte

I attended my first support goupr meeting tonight.  It was wonderful!  They were open and accepting of someone just walking in off the street.

I know from you, my brothers and sisters, that i am not alone.  But to actually meet other members of the local transgender community was incredible!  Lord know that I love you all, but there is something about physically sitting down with another member of the TG community that is so reassuring.

There were two students from Syracuse University.  (Go SU!  {Sorry, but the Irish in me won't let me say "Go Orange!"})  They were there doing a research paper for school.  One member was in a stage production of "Normal" and had the lead role. 

We talked aobut how I heard about the group and where I saw myself on the TG spectrum.  One spouse was present and she is very encouraging of her SO's crosdressing.

The end result is that I now have a lot more to think about regarding where I am going.  Even though my brain is full, this is a good thing.

Chaunte
  •  

Owen

Way to go Chaunte. You look good. I wish I had a support group near me. sounds like you had a good time.

Owen
love being female
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Chaunte on April 08, 2006, 10:17:38 PM
The end result is that I now have a lot more to think about regarding where I am going.  Even though my brain is full, this is a good thing.

It sure is! I recently attended my first meeting as well, and certainly found it to put everything into a new... context of sorts.

You're more courageous than I, however; I went in "drab." ;)

Congrats, Chaunte!

P.S. You really look great!
  •  

Kate Thomas

Looking Good Chaunte!
glad to hear you have found such wonderful support.
Huggs
Kate
"But who is that on the other side of you?"
T.S. Eliot
  •  

slinky

I'm really pleased for you....

WELL DONE...
  •  

Gill

Helo Chaunte;

Yes - well done.

It is comforting when you meet people that just accept you for who you are isn't it?  Being able to just "relax" and allow some of those guards down is a great feeling.

Yes hon - well done.

Gill
  •  

Annie Social

Last fall, a friend took me to a gay resort in the area for the evening. Prior to that, I had only been to support groups and the local TG bar.

The resort has nightclubs, a restaurant and shops, all spread over several acres. It was the most amazing feeling to be able to stroll casually, drop into shops, sit down to dinner. Things seemed so ... normal!

Despite the fact that it was a self-contained artificial environment, it played a big part in giving me the confidence to get out and about.

I've been out a lot more since, and hope to be able to go fulltime within the next several months, but I'll never forget that first taste of freedom.

Annie
  •  

NightAngel

That's a wonderful news Chaunte,it must be nice when you can spoke with somebody in real life who understand you and your feelings. Congrats, Chaunte for making this step!!
You look great on that picture!

* :icon_hug:*

Michelle

QuoteI wish I had a support group near me.

me too, I live in a city with 120.000 people but we don't have any TG community, I'm all alone here  :(.
  •  

HelenW

Chaunte,  I'm very happy that you had a good experience.  My first visit to support group was en homme, I didn't have time to get ready after work and get there on time.  I actually felt safer that way too.  My second visit was fully en femme.  I took a half day of vacation in order to get myself as ready as possible.

Both times, though, I felt so very good in finally being able to meet and interact with men and women that have "been there, done that" and succeded along with those who are in the earlier parts of their journey.  I agree that Susan's is a wonderful place with absolutely great people.  I love Susans.org dearly, and having a warm, living human being standing next to you saying, "You look lovely!" or, "You pass well!" is absolutely priceless.  The validation that is missing from the rest of the outside world can be found in those meetings and that's one of the best things about them.

It has gotten to the point where I can't wait for the month to roll around again to the next meeting date.  I hope your experiences turn out as well or better than mine.

helen

PS - btw, the group is the SPECTRUM Transgender Group of Western New York and meet in Buffalo every second Friday of each month.  Everyone is welcome.
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

kroygbiv

Is there a Syracuse support group? I'd really appreciate any info about it because I'd like to attend. Thanks!
  •  

Steph

Quote from: kroygbiv on January 02, 2007, 10:15:26 AM
Is there a Syracuse support group? I'd really appreciate any info about it because I'd like to attend. Thanks!

Hello kroygbiv.

This is an old topic and not the best way to seek information.  It would be much better if you head over introductions and post and introduction about yourself  and ask the question there :)  In the mean time I did a quick search and came up with this list that mat be of some help.  But I'm sure that there are others here who will be able to help.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=glbt+Syracuse&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Steph
  •