Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Cernunnos...

Started by lady amarant, April 23, 2008, 07:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lady amarant

My first encounter with the Horned God, like that of most Westerners, was through the warped eyes of Christianity - A twisted, corrupted version of Himself, made by the Church synonymous with Satan, the horned, goat-headed Baphomet, in a masterstroke that would see all of Europe converted to the Cross, by sword and flame, where necessary.

But of course, the Lord of the Hunt was not these things. Hearkening back to the most ancient of our prehistory, he was Warrior, Father, Sage, representing all things male, be it for good or ill. He was the violent, raging berserker, the gentle father, the passionate lover, the hunter, the warrior. He was both boastful and modest in confidence, young and old. Each Spring he would be reborn to his own union, only to die again in the Winter. And so he represented the eternal cycle of death and rebirth that nature is.

I have since come to identify much more closely with the Goddess in her aspects, for obvious reasons, but for a time, the Horned God was what I aspired to, when I was most desperately trying to be a man, and He still holds a special place in my heart. In his positive role, he represents all to me that a man should be: Calm, confident, courageous yet gentle, a provider to his clan and a protector to those weaker than him, all creatures.

by Kythera of Anevern

Cernunnos

Beneath the sediment of aeons
In ancient repose
My trust lay eroded by age
The old glory faded
And past times forgotten
My reign given way to my rage

Harmonious the centuries
The land and I were one
My soil, my water, my air
Bringer of light
And master of night
In balance, the earth in my care

But with the passing of days
A new wind came blowing
With whispers of change on its wing
This tide of corruption
Laid siege to my world
Usurping the throne of a king

Your new gods, your new ways
All seek to dispel me
With doctrines of fear built on lies
The hidden one, no longer
I claim my dominion
To the sun of your age, I arise

Of your anger, Your ignorance, Your blindness, Your greed
Your progress, Your conquest, Your mania, Your need
Your sorrow, Your sickness, Your final, parting breath
Your hatred, Your bloodshed, Your future, Your death

I will have none
I will have none
I will have none
I will have none

I, dread lord of shadows
With broken spell
Unto this rotting age
I bid farewell

Bles-sed be!

by William Faith, of Faith and the Muse

~Simone.
  •  

Constance

To date, I've had little experience with Cernunnos, and most of that was at a Beltain ritual a few years ago. I'd felt closer to the Greenman and Herne, but Perkunas is my Patron god (Pele is my Matron). For whatever reason, "fire" deities seem to call to me.

I'd found few Charges of the God/dess that appealed to me, so I looked at several of each and then wrote my own. I think it's safe to say that my Christian and Buddhist influences show in my Charge of the God...

Charge of the God
31 October 2007

Hear the words of the God, the embodiment of all that lives and dies,
who is known as Cernunnos, Greenman, Herne, Perkunas,
and by many other names:

"I am the Stag of the Seven Tines, and the Greenman;
I am Herne, lord of the hunt and the hunted;
I am the Father in the Sky, the Grandfather in the Earth,
the Lord of the Flame, and the Brother in the Sea;
I am the Hero, the Father, and the Sage."

"I am the Lord of That Which Lives. The cycle of Birth, Death, and Rebirth is my province.
Dust to dust is the way of all life, for as long as the Earth shall last.
And as long as the Earth shall last, I, too, will be with you on the Wheel.
As I dance, so does the Wheel turn.
The seasons of the Earth are the days of my life."

Hear the words of the Protector God, the Father who shields his children:

"Life and Love I bring to my children; I wish them no evil.
I bring aid to those who call on me. Through me:
the weak can be strong,
the frightened can be brave,
the enslaved can be free,
the strong can be stronger,
the brave can be braver,
the free can aid the enslaved.
Let none be to proud or fearful to ask for my help."

Hear the words of the God who is the Sacrifice:

"Love and Life I bring to my children; I will die so that they will live.
Those who willingly embrace sacrifice to aid others are performing my rites.
Those who sacrifice themselves to no benefit have lost my path.
Sacrifice is sacred, and must serve a sacred purpose.
Life is fueled by death. Even plants are living things, children of the Greenman.
Take no life in vain."

Hear the words of the God:

"Listen for my voice in the rain, in the waves, in the wind,
in fire, in the movement of the living, the chaos of the city,
and in the steadiness of the Earth.
I can teach you to live, to love, to forgive, and to die.
Listen for my voice, and I will await you to welcome you into the Next Realm."

NicholeW.

Ummm, putting me in mind of a poem attributed to the poet Taliesin, from Wales/Galloway/Strathclyde in the fifth century. I never memorized it but there is a certain 'chime' with your charges and his poem.

If you haven't you may wish to view it.

Blessed Be,

Nichole
  •  

lady amarant

Quote from: Shades O'Grey on April 23, 2008, 10:43:22 AM
To date, I've had little experience with Cernunnos, and most of that was at a Beltain ritual a few years ago. I'd felt closer to the Greenman and Herne, but Perkunas is my Patron god (Pele is my Matron). For whatever reason, "fire" deities seem to call to me.

I'd found few Charges of the God/dess that appealed to me, so I looked at several of each and then wrote my own. I think it's safe to say that my Christian and Buddhist influences show in my Charge of the God...

To me really, the only reason I call Him by Cernunnos and not another of his many names is because that is the name, and Celtic the tradition, that I came to know him under first. But as you point out in your Charge, there are as many manifestations as there are cultures, even two modern incarnations!  ;D

I stumbled upon this nice little introductory site dedicated to The Horned God while looking for a picture to put in my Book. It's at http://www.lugodoc.demon.co.uk/welcome.htm

And thanks for sharing your Charge Shades. Very cool.

Quote from: Nichole on April 23, 2008, 11:21:52 AM
Ummm, putting me in mind of a poem attributed to the poet Taliesin, from Wales/Galloway/Strathclyde in the fifth century. I never memorized it but there is a certain 'chime' with your charges and his poem.

Thank you Nichole. I will most certainly keep an eye out for it.

~Simone.
  •  

NicholeW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliesin
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/t/taliesin.html
http://www.maryjones.us/ctexts/llyfrtaliesin.html

You can try those links for background and a translation of the poems, highly Xtianised. Probably medievally.

I believe that his 'charge' was inj Robert Graves,' The White Goddess. Graves' 'translation' was much more magical than the ones in the link above. *smile*

N~
  •  

Emma Morgaine

thank you for this thread!
:icon_flamed:
  •