Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Mild Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome

Started by Melissa, June 17, 2006, 02:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melissa

I've been doing some research about myself and from what I have concluded is that I have Mild Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome.  This is why I feminized so quickly.  With MAIS, I am still fertile and was able to have kids, but also have the other symptoms.  In other words, my body was not completely masculinized ever because the receptors for testosterone were not quite working right.  This resulted in having a much more feminine appearance and um, underdeveloped equipment.  So, this explains the physical appearance of my body.

However, in my research it appears that this is independant to transsexualism and therefore, I would be having both, which in my opinion is lucky, rather than having just one or the other.  Now, thinking back to my other thread that theorizes that TS and IS may be linked, I wonder how many others may have experienced the same set of conditions as me.  Looking feminine does not qualify, but undermasculinized (small) genitals do.

Melissa
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Hey Melissa were can I find out about Mild Androgen Insensitivity.
I may be one too.
:)
Jillieann
  •  

Melissa

Google it.  It's difficult to find a lot of information about it.

Melissa
  •  

Kaitlyn

I have been a little bit curious about this for a while. I have pretty sparse facial hair (I couldn't grow a mustache for the life of me, but unfortunately there's still no question that it's 'there'). I would say that I am definitely 'undervirilized' and have a somewhat unusual fat distribution, especially compared to how little I weigh. Of course, part of it is probably because I'm still relatively young (20-ish)... maybe it's wishful thinking, but sometimes I wonder.
  •  

Melissa

A lot of it depends on if you are fertile or not.  If you are not fertile, you may have partial AIS, which is more severe.  However, since I was (although I suspect this may have not been the case shortly before even starting HRT) fertile (i.e. had kids), I would only have a mild case.  I am guessing that because you are in your early 20's, you have not even attempted to have children yet.  A sperm check would really be the only way to test that.

I did have little body hair from the waist up and sparse facial hair.  Also, a number of other things, but I won't get into that.

Melissa
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: Jillieann on June 17, 2006, 08:28:39 AM
Hey Melissa were can I find out about Mild Androgen Insensitivity.
I may be one too.
:)
Jillieann

There is an article in Susan's Wiki found here on the Androgen insensitivity syndrome and while it doesn't talk about a "Mild" form there is a section on Incomplete or partial AIS.

It may help add to your research, then it may not :)

Steph
  •  

Jillieann Rose

•  

buddJT

QuoteI've been doing some research about myself and from what I have concluded is that I have Mild Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome.  This is why I feminized so quickly.  With MAIS, I am still fertile and was able to have kids, but also have the other symptoms.  In other words, my body was not completely masculinized ever because the receptors for testosterone were not quite working right.  This resulted in having a much more feminine appearance and um, underdeveloped equipment.  So, this explains the physical appearance of my body.

However, in my research it appears that this is independant to transsexualism and therefore, I would be having both, which in my opinion is lucky, rather than having just one or the other.  Now, thinking back to my other thread that theorizes that TS and IS may be linked, I wonder how many others may have experienced the same set of conditions as me.  Looking feminine does not qualify, but undermasculinized (small) genitals do.

Melissa

This actually describes me very well.  I do think it is independent of Tsism for me because I never felt I needed to change myself through surgery nor did I feel I was trapped in the wrong body growing up.  But something inside me tells me that I am not your average male. 
I know if I was to go on HRT, I will respond to it very easily since many of the traits are already in place, fat distribution, wide hip, breast growth, small penis and etc.
  •  

Melissa

Great example. I think most people who are affected by it are non-TS.  I just happened to have both.

Melissa
  •  

buddJT

QuoteI think most people who are affected by it are non-TS.  I just happened to have both.

But the questions is at what point does it become Tsism?  Sometimes I feel like I am in denail that I may actually be a TS person.
I was rasied in a pretty conservative country and family so I didn't really know about this well into my late teens.  Would it be possible for me to accept this if I had known say when I was 11 and started showing signs of gyncomastia?  Maybe or Maybe not who knows.
  •  

Melissa

Like I said, they are separate.  I knew I was TS before I realized I had MAIS.  Most people just don't need to do anything about it.  If you believe that you could possibly be TS, then start researching the subject and see a therapist if possible.  I think just the fact that you have joined a TG forum speaks something.

Melissa
  •  

buddJT

I don't think it is as clearly defined as you make it out to be.  But that's just my opinion.
  •  

Melissa

•  

M-F

Melissa, have you researched Klinefelter Mosaic syndrome?

You have stated that you are not XXY because you have fathered children.  But there are some different Klinefelter syndromes that are XXY & can father children.  I have a FEW active active sperm & and 47-XXY

You & I have many simularities. 

I am mainly a man with large breasts.  The teen years were very rough.
I have no desire now to be 100% male or female

XXMan
  •  

Melissa

Yes I have researched it.  I have doubts about that for others reasons now too.  For instance, those with Klinefelters tend to be tall and I'm actually shorter than most of my family, plus I don't recall having gynecomastia at puberty as XXY typically does.  Mine actually occurred right after accepting who I was.  I am still researching if it may be more that some form of AIS, such as a true IS, with parts of each.  I'll need to get tested at the doctor though to be sure.  I will save a karotype only if I really suspect it is at my gene level, since the test will probably cost me like $600. Besides, I would rather put that much towards surgery.  I want to check if I'm true IS sonce that would severely change the kind of surgery I would get.

Melissa
  •