Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

State anti-discrimination law goes too far

Started by Natasha, June 05, 2008, 02:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natasha

State anti-discrimination law goes too far

Link
6/5/2008

"I have no problem protecting any group from public housing or public,
but the bill included restrooms!

As I heard a radio newsman say, "This bill protects gays and lesbians
and transgendered people from discrimination. Now all males and
females have equal access to public facilities."
  •  

nickie

What I don't understand is - Why can't people leave the restroom issue out of it? That is usually the deal breaker. If you "pass" or present well, use the restroom of your presenting gender. If you don't, better go to the bathroom before you leave home...unless you're in a gay bar, even there, there are no guarantees you won't get hassled. Lots of gay men use the ladies room in gay bars, I guess it's part of male entitlement, and they are known to harass crossderssers and others in there.
  •  

NicholeW.

Quote from: nickie on June 06, 2008, 10:34:31 AM
What I don't understand is - Why can't people leave the restroom issue out of it? That is usually the deal breaker. If you "pass" or present well, use the restroom of your presenting gender. If you don't, better go to the bathroom before you leave home...unless you're in a gay bar, even there, there are no guarantees you won't get hassled. Lots of gay men use the ladies room in gay bars, I guess it's part of male entitlement, and they are known to harass crossderssers and others in there.

For the same reason they didn't 'leave it out' when it came to desegregation. I can recall hearing adults talking during the fifties and sixties about allowing "those people with their sexually transmitted diseases sit on the same toilets as I do and giving me syphilis or gonorrhea."

Is it ridiculous? Yes. Do they stop, in my experience, no. Because they still manage to scare crap outta some people and encourage them to vote for ridiculous positions.

They intend to strike fear and enhance existing prejudice as much as possible to support their views. It's about as American as you get, having been used from the Washington presidency right on through today.

Nichole

•