Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

"You had me fooled!"

Started by lacitychick21, June 25, 2008, 02:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacitychick21

Compliment? Hardly. Do people really think it is?

Allow me to vent for a second.

So, I've been going out a lot lately, what with the whole "ex" ordeal. I was at a pretty exclusive event last night that my company was throwing. There was a nice crowd there. Great faces, bodies, etc. Now, half my co-workers "know" about me through office gossip. Eh, whaddaya gonna do? I came out to my employer when I was interviewed, so the news spread pretty quickly.

A co-worker introduced me to her friend visiting from Hawaii. We exchange "hellos" and "nice to meet yous" and he leaves. He returns about half an hour later with a HUGE smile on his face. He's making a beeline for me.

He leans into my ear: "I want you to know; you had me fooled!"

"Ummmm. Pardon me?"

"You had me fooled! I had no idea! Jennifer just told me. I never would've guessed. Good job!"

HaHA! Gotcha! I sure had you fooled! One point for the Master of Disguise! I sure pulled the wool over your eyes!

Idiot.

I'm sorry, I'm not one to be up in arms when I meet someone who may not be intimately familiar with the vernacular. OK -- I didn't "make the switch;" I transitioned. No I won't tell you if I still have "it." But thanks for asking...

I've heard it all... and for the most part, people don't know what to say or how to say it. I get it; that's fine.

But I dunno, why would "you had me fooled" seem like a good idea to anyone...

I'd like to officially nominate "you had me fooled" as one of the all time dumbest comments I've ever heard.

Or maybe I'm just grumpy right now.
  •  

Purple Pimp

Wow; good for you.  I'll be straight up: if someone said that to me, I probably would have lost it.  How do you keep your cool when someone says such a thing?  It's like an anti-semite meeting their first Jew and saying, "Wow, you don't have a tail!"

Was he gay or straight?  If gay, maybe he felt he had some sort of liberty to speak that way to you as an honest-to-God compliment (at least, from his point of view), sort of a "you go girl with your bad self" type thing.

If you haven't read Serano's "Whipping Girl," I highly recommend it.  I'm not finished, but I love how she says that the public views transwomen two ways.  Either you're a "pathetic" transsexual, who can't pass and is to be pitied, or a "deceiving" transsexual, who lures straight men into sleeping with them.  Honestly, I think she's right on the money.  In the eyes of most, I think this is what it comes down to.  Maybe raising public awareness will eventually provide us with more than these two paths.

Lia
First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you would do. -- Epictetus
  •  

Beyond

Quote from: genovais on June 25, 2008, 03:07:33 AMIf you haven't read Serano's "Whipping Girl," I highly recommend it.  I'm not finished, but I love how she says that the public views transwomen two ways.  Either you're a "pathetic" transsexual, who can't pass and is to be pitied, or a "deceiving" transsexual, who lures straight men into sleeping with them.  Honestly, I think she's right on the money.  In the eyes of most, I think this is what it comes down to.  Maybe raising public awareness will eventually provide us with more than these two paths.

Correction!

That is how the MEDIA has portrayed us until recently.  Here's the original essay:

http://www.juliaserano.com/outside.html#skirt>-bleeped-<s
  •  

NicholeW.

Laci, I am so sorry that you experienced that hurt and pain. I've had much the same experience and its no fun and not one of those droll occurrences that one likes to chat about. Some of them can be extraordinarily frightening, depending on with whom they occur and when.

:icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_flower:

I've thought for a long while that 'people' who do, think and react the way Laci described do so because they 'think' they should somehow be able 'to tell.' Not wishing to admit that their ability to 'chose' the '>-bleeped-<' from a line-up is non-existent, they have to find a way to relieve themselves of the knowledge that their picker hasn't the ability to tell one beautiful woman from another in terms of how those women developed as human beings.

And I bet, just bet, that when "Jennifer" told him, that the entire conversation involved Jennifer in some way belittling him, at least in his own mind, about his inability to 'recognize' Laci as a woman who came to her womanhood through a transition of her body to match her brain. And he felt the sting of that in himself.

It seems to me that most cises think they should be able to tell and that the media have helped to inculcate that idea quite deeply. That a huge minority, or perhaps a huge majority, of us go about our lives and people don't know if they aren't told is not something that they readily wish to acknowledge to themselves.

So Laci gets branded as an "excellent female-impersonator" when she is actually an "excellent female." Period. People in USA, particularly males, have been raised with the idea that they can 'know' what's mostly unknowable: that someone has an STD, for instance. That they should be able to suss-out when a natal female transsexual has matched her body to her brain. After all! There are all those 'clues' that any observant and well-heeled person can see! Imagine him, secure, confident and well-groomed man NOT being able to tell! A major faux-pas!

Not!! The Media tends to encourage such thoughts and reactions because the Media believe them themselves, like the advertising people who are just as hooked by advertising as the rest of us.

The Media still portray us as deceptive or pathetic as Serano says. Some of the Media have decided that they should change some of that depiction. But, as Laci's story illustrates, the change will not outrun the perception among cises that they should somehow automatically KNOW our developments, just as they know when they stub a toe! Automatic. 

It's like "The Invaders." How do you tell the aliens from the earthlings when they are indistinguishable from one another? That seems to be scary for a lot, the majority, of Cises.

Nichole
  •  

MeghanAndrews

I was there with Laci when this happened. I think it's interesting that this was at a predominantly gay event. Lots of hot gay boys around. There probably weren't many people there who would have responded the way this guy did. Laci has some of the coolest and most compassionate friends. This guy was not even really an acquaintance. He was someone who knew someone who knew Laci.

Lia, that book seems really interesting so I ordered it. Laci, I was as shocked as you about the statement. I hope the fun we all had the rest of the night made up for one idiot's dumb comment. "You had me fooled." Yeah, you had me fooled too. I thought you might have actually been an ok person. Pff. Don't waste your time with him or the lady, his friend. I knew she was up to no good by the way she stared at me when I introduced myself  :o Meghan
  •  

Beyond

Quote from: Nichole on June 25, 2008, 09:14:31 AMBut, the public takes it's cue from the media, Beyond. To have what Serano writes about is also to have what Lia wrote about and what Laci experienced.

I should have just erased the whole thing.  At first I thought Genovais was saying that's what Julia said.  Then I realized my mistake and tried to adjust it.  Like I said I should have just deleted it.

MY BAD!

Next time I'll just skip it.  Genovais I apologize, I hope I didn't come across as putting you down.

Ack :icon_redface:  Just shoot me!   :icon_archery:
  •  

NicholeW.

Beyond,

Doesn't that seem a bit drastic for what was said? :)

In all the time I have known you I have come to know an insightful. compassionate and very nice human being. I think your sense of your own punishment is a lot too harsh on yourself. We all misread, no reason to call in a Spanish Inquisition!

:icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_hug:

Maybe an ice-cream sundae instead?

•  

Mnemosyne

Ouch, that sucks. If only hammerspace was real and then we all could take care of ignorant little idiots like that, quick and easy.
  •  

tekla

You can take idiots out pretty easy.  In this case a simple Well dear, you know its not all that hard to do, heck, I bet everyone is fooling you all the time, would have worked out I'm sure
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Maddie Secutura

I hate it when that happens.  The media is to blame for it no doubt.  Guys are so proud of themselves when they can read someone and so disappointed when they find out they've been "tricked."  We're not trying to trick anyone and certainly aren't going to waste our time on someone who is so closed minded that they need to be swindled into believing we can be great human beings.  It happened to me yesterday.  I was so pissed I had a dream about the many ways available to wipe the guy off the planet (including golf clubs, street signs, even calling in an orbital strike).  Of course that would be wrong of me to actually go about doing it. 

To me the whole point of transitioning is to be myself.  It's going out the door the way I look naturally.  I do it just about every day (halloween and yesterday have been exceptions) and will continue to do it as the hormones take their effects.  If that's not being genuine than I don't know what is. 

•  

Purple Pimp

Quote from: Beyond on June 25, 2008, 09:37:19 AM
I apologize, I hope I didn't come across as putting you down.

Oh no, no offense taken.   :)

Lia
First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you would do. -- Epictetus
  •  

lacitychick21

That stupid look on his face really annoyed me too.

I dunno, I don't get angry. I've never had someone intend malice; they honestly think it's some sort of compliment.

urgh...
  •  

Suzy

Laci,

I am sure the idiot thought he was giving you a compliment.  This is obviously some guy who has no idea how it feels to sit where we sit.  But there are some people who just insist on saying things without ever engaging their brains.  I'm sure you were shocked.  Maybe even felt violated somewhat.  It would have been a good time to pour a drink down the front of his pants.  But then again, at a work function, I understand you just have to watch how you act.

Hang in there, beautiful girl.  You know that you are not living at a costume ball.  What he saw was a gorgeous woman, and maybe he made an ass of himself trying to impress you.

Kristi

•  

Kate

Quote from: Kristi on June 25, 2008, 11:02:28 PM
I am sure the idiot thought he was giving you a compliment.

I agree! I try to cut non-GID people a break... once I'm over being mad, lol. They MEAN well, they just don't think out the implications of what they're saying. But they also didn't obsess on GID for most of their lives, so the "context" of what they MEAN is often much different than what we HEAR.

Someone said about me last night that I "look just like a girl!" And ya know, my first reaction (thinking it, not saying it) was, "Well, DUH! I AM a girl! What'd you expect?" But then... I realize she thought she was being nice, "congratulating" me in HER mind.

AND there's the time a couple guys I'd met at a picnic didn't guess my history, but were told later... followed by ruthless teasing about how I'd fooled them, and how it proves they don't even know about their own girlfriends now, do they?

All of which kinda implies we're not "real" I know, but I think WE put more weight on that interpretation sometimes than THEY do. If this guy at your party had been one of the nasty, "TSs are men out to lure other men into sex by fooling us into thinking they're girls!" types, he would never have come back to you with a smile and "compliment." Instead, he would have sneered, avoided you, said something nasty, etc.

~Kate~
  •  

Elwood

First of all, bunny picture = verrrrry cute!

Anyway, if someone says "You have me fooled!" to me, I believe that they are saying I am pulling some kind of trick, that I'm pretending, or worse yet, that I was lying to them. But it isn't a lie. When I convinsingly portray the opposite sex, that is a bit of deception, but when I accurately portray the gender that conflicts with my birthsex (in my case, male, my target sex), then I'm telling the complete truth and it's no show.

If someone came up to me and hollered that I had him fooled, I'm sorry, but I'd have to punch him. Honestly, that is the rudest thing someone could really do. I never want anyone to approach me and speak to me because I'm a transsexual unless that person is my doctor, therapist, or a concerned friend.
  •  

April221

Quote from: Kate on June 26, 2008, 08:44:57 AM
Someone said about me last night that I "look just like a girl~Kate~

"You look just like a girl?" That's cute!  So does Gwyneth Paltrow!!!
  •  

Purple Pimp

Quote from: Kate on June 26, 2008, 08:44:57 AM
Someone said about me [...] that I "look just like a girl!"

LOL, I've gotten that one too.  Of course, the person who said it to me has always been nice to me and was high out of her damn mind, so I didn't taken offense.  Had she not been, though... I don't know.

Lia
  •  

4Sparky

I used to work at a restaurant that had a high employee turnaround and Laci, you just described every day of my employment there!

I transitioned there and at first everyone was VERY supportive (well, they really always were), but I felt really forced to become extremely open to all the thousands of comments and questions I got from people. It still gets really annoying at times but Id start asking them really personal questions back. Overall, I am open to talking about it with anyone, but the questions like the ones similar to those you were asked ("so do you have a penis or what") are the ones that get me, esp after the 500,000,000th time being asked. Ill never understand why thats funny.
  •  

lacitychick21

I should probably clarify: There's no question in my mind it was meant as a compliment. I'm certain he meant no malice. He said it with an enthusiastic and very sincere smile. He seemed genuinely impressed.

I'm not really angry nor did the thought of reacting with any type of violence (yelling at him, punching at him) ever cross my mind.

I also get that people who don't obsess with their gender identity just have no way of knowing the vernacular, nor can they know what's considered "PC."

I've heard "wow, you look just like a girl," or "I never would've guessed" but I dunno, I just thought "you had me fooled" topped the dumb (non-malicious) comments.

But...

It sure beats the "So, WTF? You have a d*ck or what?" comment I once received when an old coworker found out.

hmmmmm
  •  

Kate

Quote from: lacitychick21 on June 27, 2008, 01:12:07 AM
It sure beats the "So, WTF? You have a d*ck or what?" comment I once received when an old coworker found out.

Isn't it odd how casually people will ask us about our genitals? I have someone who routinely asks me, "So, have you had any surgeries yet?" And I KNOW he means well, it's just his way of expressing interest and concern for me, buuuuuuut... it's my genitals darn it, lol!

~Kate~
  •