Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

"Are you a singer, because you have a BEAUTIFUL voice!"

Started by fae_reborn, June 30, 2008, 01:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fae_reborn

So, I'm at work today (I'm a cashier at a local grocery store), and we were really busy.  I've been pretty happy these last few weeks, and even though work is tiring I tend to put on a happy face ALL the time, and I'm always cheerful at work.  Hey, it's a job and I need the money, so I may as well be happy about it considering I was unemployed for the longest time.  :)

Anyway, I'm checking people out at the register, and this couple comes through my line.  I ask how they're doing while I start scanning their stuff, we exchanged pleasantries, and the woman goes, "Are you a singer, because you have a beautiful voice!"  I was completely shocked and totally flattered!  I told her so and said that I wasn't a singer (I happen to think I'm a terrible singer and have almost no musical talent at all), and she said "Such a waste, your voice is so calm and pleasant, you should take lessons."  ;D

I know hormones don't change your voice, or maybe they do, or maybe I've just adapted my voice over the last year, but her comment made me really, really happy.  I pass with my voice 100% of the time now, even on the phone.  Her comment just enforced that I've come this far in my journey.  I just wanted to share.  :D

Jenn
  •  

Stealthgrrl

Wow, that must have made you feel great! Good for you, girl!

After I went full time a few years ago, I was scared to ever open my mouth, because I felt it gave me away. And for another two years I wouldn't speak on the phone to any of my internet friends, but finally one insisted, and i did. It went fine and i relaxed some.

Anyway, now my voice is fine, and my gf says she could listen to me read the phone book LOL! The last barrier was crossed when, in order to deal with an overdue bill over the phone, one that has my old name on it, I thought, oh crap, I'll bite the bullet and pretend to be "him" just to get this behind me. Well, even though I was making no effort at all to femme up my voice, and even though this person had my old name right in front of them, and I had stated that was me, it was still ma'am ma'am ma'am all the way through. How cool is that?

For any mtf's who may be reading this: I learned an invaluable lesson from watching the movie "Better Than Chocolate." I thought Judy/Jerome sounded fine until she would try to sound extra feminine and go all breathy and what have you, and then she sounded fake. So I always remembered that. Don't overdo it! That goes for a lot of things.

Again, good for you, Fae!
  •  

Mnemosyne

Very cool fae, congrats!

I was once told I had a heavenly singing voice. Well the exact wording was unearthly but that's the same, right??   ;D

And old bills, yup had to do that a few times and ran into the same thing. I laughed my butt off each time.
  •  

Shana A

That's cool Jenn. Maybe you really are a singer and just haven't found your voice yet. Time to start practicing! And, you now have a great pickle song in your repertoire. :laugh:

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

fae_reborn

Quote from: Stealthgrrl on June 30, 2008, 06:16:12 AM
Wow, that must have made you feel great! Good for you, girl!

After I went full time a few years ago, I was scared to ever open my mouth, because I felt it gave me away. And for another two years I wouldn't speak on the phone to any of my internet friends, but finally one insisted, and i did. It went fine and i relaxed some.

Anyway, now my voice is fine, and my gf says she could listen to me read the phone book LOL! The last barrier was crossed when, in order to deal with an overdue bill over the phone, one that has my old name on it, I thought, oh crap, I'll bite the bullet and pretend to be "him" just to get this behind me. Well, even though I was making no effort at all to femme up my voice, and even though this person had my old name right in front of them, and I had stated that was me, it was still ma'am ma'am ma'am all the way through. How cool is that?

For any mtf's who may be reading this: I learned an invaluable lesson from watching the movie "Better Than Chocolate." I thought Judy/Jerome sounded fine until she would try to sound extra feminine and go all breathy and what have you, and then she sounded fake. So I always remembered that. Don't overdo it! That goes for a lot of things.

Again, good for you, Fae!

It felt wonderful, thank you Stealthgrrl!  I've had the same thing happen to me, dealing with old bills.  Recently I had to call the insurance company and get them to finally change my name on their records, months after the fact that I've had it legally changed, and it was "ma'am, ma'am, ma'am" the whole time!  ;D

Quote from: Mnemosyne on June 30, 2008, 06:22:23 AM
Very cool fae, congrats!

I was once told I had a heavenly singing voice. Well the exact wording was unearthly but that's the same, right??   ;D

And old bills, yup had to do that a few times and ran into the same thing. I laughed my butt off each time.

Thanks Mnemosyne, and I think there's a difference between "heavenly" and "unearthly" depending on how you look at it, but in this case, I would say yes, they're the same.  ;)

Quote from: Zythyra on June 30, 2008, 06:35:01 AM
That's cool Jenn. Maybe you really are a singer and just haven't found your voice yet. Time to start practicing! And, you now have a great pickle song in your repertoire. :laugh:

Z

Thanks Z!  :D ;)
  •  

tekla

I think almost anyone, with not much training - but personal training, can learn to sing at least OK, if not well in short order.

Its just a matter of really hearing yourself in relation to the pitch.  It's not going to get you the Diva soprano role at the Met, no, but then again, few do.  So sure, find someone who knows how to sing in pitch and let them train you.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

fae_reborn

Quote from: tekla on June 30, 2008, 12:06:30 PM
I think almost anyone, with not much training - but personal training, can learn to sing at least OK, if not well in short order.

Its just a matter of really hearing yourself in relation to the pitch.  It's not going to get you the Diva soprano role at the Met, no, but then again, few do.  So sure, find someone who knows how to sing in pitch and let them train you.

I'll consider it when I have some spare change to pay for the lessons, or if I can find a friend who can do it for free.  ;D
  •  

Melissa

Feels great, doesn't it?  I've had this happen from time to time and now I do sing.  However, I don't sing because I somebody thought I should, but rather because I enjoy doing it.  I took voice lessons too, which went fabulous since the teacher had no idea I was TS   It's scary once you sing in front of an audience though.  I've had to do that on several occasions while auditioning for musicals, but was heavily complimented after doing so. :)  Just some things to think about if you do go ahead with singing.
  •  

fae_reborn

Quote from: Melissa on June 30, 2008, 02:44:48 PM
Feels great, doesn't it?  I've had this happen from time to time and now I do sing.  However, I don't sing because I somebody thought I should, but rather because I enjoy doing it.  I took voice lessons too, which went fabulous since the teacher had no idea I was TS   It's scary once you sing in front of an audience though.  I've had to do that on several occasions while auditioning for musicals, but was heavily complimented after doing so. :)  Just some things to think about if you do go ahead with singing.

Thanks Melissa, and yes it feels great!  :D
  •