News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Transgender man's name change denied

Started by LostInTime, July 12, 2006, 11:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Article

A transgender Rochester man must provide medical evidence to justify his request to change his first name from Sarah to Evan, a local judge has ruled.

Allowing Sarah Rockefeller to change his name without evidence "would be fraught with danger of deception and confusion and contrary to the public interest," State Supreme Court Justice William P. Polito, citing a 1976 law journal article, said in his ruling.

Polito on Friday ruled for the second time against Rockefeller's request for the name change. The ruling has sparked the involvement of the American Civil Liberties Union, which argues that the ruling places an unnecessary burden of proof on transgender individuals that isn't required of others.
  •  

Kate

Quote from: LostInTime on July 12, 2006, 11:18:12 AM
Article

A transgender Rochester man must provide medical evidence to justify his request to change his first name from Sarah to Evan, a local judge has ruled.

Allowing Sarah Rockefeller to change his name without evidence "would be fraught with danger of deception and confusion and contrary to the public interest," State Supreme Court Justice William P. Polito, citing a 1976 law journal article, said in his ruling.

Polito on Friday ruled for the second time against Rockefeller's request for the name change. The ruling has sparked the involvement of the American Civil Liberties Union, which argues that the ruling places an unnecessary burden of proof on transgender individuals that isn't required of others.

Nice. I hope the judge is removed since he apparently can't keep his personal bigotries from influencing his decisions. I have no idea what the "1976 law journal article" states, but I suspect he only pulls it out to prevent transsexuals (and anyone else he doesn't approve of) from changing names.
  •  

stephanie_craxford

I am so thankful to be living where I live, why on earth does it matter to anyone what a person wants to call themselves.  It is obvious that the sate has far too much control in some places.  Personally I don't understand why the judicial system is even involved in name changes.  It's a civil matter that should be dealt with by beureaucrats.

Just my two cents.

Steph
  •  

sheila18

Quote from: Steph on July 12, 2006, 11:55:58 AM
  Personally I don't understand why the judicial system is even involved in name changes.  It's a civil matter that should be dealt with by beureaucrats.

Just my two cents.

Steph
Steph:
Good question. I can guess that the Executive executes the laws (legalities) that affect individuals and institutions (corporations also) but is the Judicial that interpretes what is legal ( ergo lawyers were created in the 7th day ,  when god was away fishing, ok playing golf whatever)
Perhaps to avoid identity theft but probably more likely to to make it legaly binding to financial responsibilities, bankrupcy blah. But that is easily remedied by providing proof of notification, lawyers are good at this sort of thing. So fiduciary irresponsability or delinquency is really not an issue albeit an excuse.
is a good question, i saw a post about homeland security overstepping this boundary. which begs the question: if your community or town upholds it why should the state object and so on the feds?
I have not followed the legalities of name change, it seems to me a different issue from marriage.
sheila
  •  

Chaunte

Lovely.  Simply lovely.  And Rochester is probably the most progressive city here in Western New York State!

I hope I don't have Polito when it comes time to change my legal name.

Chaunte
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: Chaunte on July 12, 2006, 02:07:29 PM
Lovely.  Simply lovely.  And Rochester is probably the most progressive city here in Western New York State!

I hope I don't have Polito when it comes time to change my legal name.

Chaunte

Hey Chaunte pick a Klingon name, and see if he denies your request cause people may think you are an extraterrestrial, :)

Steph
  •  

Chaunte

Quote from: Steph on July 12, 2006, 02:16:00 PM
Hey Chaunte pick a Klingon name, and see if he denies your request cause people may think you are an extraterrestrial, :)

Steph

Oh, the temptation!!!! }}:-|    I think the body armor would probably set off the metal detectors.  Do you think they would get upset if I walked in with a bat'leth?  Afterall, a girl has a right to protect herself!

Qa'pla!

Chaunte of the House of Tuathal
  •  

Melissa

Lol!  You 2 are so funny. :D  You have to dress appropriately for your day in court.  I can just imagine Chaunte walking into the entrance of the courthouse all dressed up in Klingon war clothes and armor and carrying the bat'leth and then all the security guys diving on top of her to pin her down.  :D

Melissa
  •  

sheila18

Actually Chaunte would need not to walk, she would be beammed down right next to Tim Mains   :D  :D
Sha'uh'lath
  •  

sheila18

cindianna:
  Good morning! is good to see your beautiful shining face first thing in the morning.
I read your post, that bites. I have a friend that supported me and encouraged me, she was a mother figure to me and the mother of a friend of mine she would tell me that she prayed that her sons would not be gay not because she thought it was bad but because of the difficult life... difficult is mild ...It seems that one thing the TS  community needs to be part of the control of is the legal sytem.  In the least develop a map of essential first blocks of awarness, sort of a modular system that acn be modified by blocks according to state/province by country, your story could be block 3 ... sorry i just woke up... i need coffee  am making no sense ..good morning world ..my first program of the day!
love , sheila
  •  

Chaunte

Quote from: Melissa on July 12, 2006, 03:43:01 PM
Lol!  You 2 are so funny. :D  You have to dress appropriately for your day in court.  I can just imagine Chaunte walking into the entrance of the courthouse all dressed up in Klingon war clothes and armor and carrying the bat'leth and then all the security guys diving on top of her to pin her down.  :D

Melissa

The true mark of a warrior is to willingly give your opponent an advantage, and still be confident of victory!  Let's see...  Ten of them against one of me...  I would put the odds at even!

Besides, some of the Klingon clothing for females is quite ... revealing!  It could actually cause the sea of bailifs to part!

Qa'pla!

Chaunte
  •