Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

New Therapist

Started by stephanie_craxford, June 20, 2005, 05:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanie_craxford

Today I start seeing my new therapist.  She is a psychologist who specializes in behavioral disorders, but she is seeing me as a trans person, not as a disordered one, ha, ha.  I had been seeing a clinical psychologist since last december, and she arranged for me to see Margo.  This new psychologist will be able to diagnose and provide the necessary medical documents I will be needing down the road.  I'm a little nervous, but that's usual for me and new experiences.

Chat later... :)
  •  

mishell

Hope all went well  :)
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Thanks, it went very well.  We seem to have hit it off very well, and I'm looking forward to our next session.
  •  

gina_taylor

Hi Stephanie,

I wish that I could find a therapist who deals with behavioral disorders like you have.And it's kind of nice that she's also a psychologist as well. Best of both worlds. if I were to find a therapist like you've got, it would really clear up so many of my problems. Maybe I'll have to start looking a little harder. I hope everything has been going well with your sessions.

Gina
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hey there Gina,

I'm sure that you will be able to find a therapist sooner or later.  I know that it's hard not to be able to get things done as fast as we would like but have patience it will happen.  :)

Take care

Steph
  •  

Terri-Gene

I just saw my new psychiatrist this morning, who the psychiatry Department has assigned to help me with emotional problems, the 3rd psych professional on my team.  Did I mention I have a few unresolved problems?  Just keeping up with appointments is going to be problem enough.

This one is for helping me deal with emotion and feelings in the current sense and help me relate better with other people, and myself as well.

I liked this guy, he comes in as he is invited, not just barge in and start catagorising.  I was told by Dea in Redwood that the new one would be knowledable in gender identity issues, but would be primarily into emotional health, and that seems to be just the case.  We spent some time with him asking some questions and listening patiently to my responses and he dug around a little following up some of those responses, but his questions were very different from those by the other two.  He was more interested in how I felt toward other people and toward myself regarding my reactions to them.  He asked me about stress and was I doing anything for it.  No I was just attempting to handle it by objective reasoning and it was beginning to be a losing battle.

He played around a bit, quite obviously looking for some buttons and triggers, finding a few of the more interesting, and then suggested altering my mood a bit, to make it easier to work with things.  He ended up perscribing something called Bupropion, told me it would take awhile to achieve full effect, but would make me feel more at ease, more energetic and hopefully, happier and set our next appointment.

All in all, I felt positive about this new therapyst and he seemed right on the mark during his exploration and I liked him because he found some of it humorus despite my rather sober mood at the time and didn't professionally conceil it, which was the right approach with me.  I think we are going to get along.

Terri
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hi Terri,

That's really good news about your new therapist.  Finding therapists is hard enough, finding one who is knowledgeable about trans issues, is harder still, and finding one who you like makes it seem almost impossible.  :)  Humor is so important, and I've found that a lot of therapists and doctors are sorely lacking in this department, because we all should be able to laugh and smile at ourselves.

Hopefully you will reape the benifits of finding one who fits your needs and who your are obviously comfortable with.

Take care

Steph
  •  

Terri-Gene

You are right Steph, finding a therapyst who can express amusement or laugh with you at appropriate points makes for a good bonding.  I can take no credit for finding this one though as he was located through the efforts of my existing therapysts who worked with the chiefs of psychiatry in the surrounding area to specifically deal with certain problems which do need attention above and beyond Gender issues.  This new person apparently just happended to be the one they felt was best suited for what is known of my issues and personality. 

I am very greatful for the personal interest and cooperation of the Kaiser medical community in my area.  They really are there to help me and do everything they can to assist me in seeing this through to the end in a manner that will make me as complete, secure and happy with the total end result, as a human being, as is medically, humanly possible.

Terri
  •