Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Transexual or Transgendered?

Started by stephanie_craxford, June 20, 2005, 06:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanie_craxford

I believe there was a document on this site that covered the difference between the two terms transexual or transgendered.  As I can't find it I could be mistaken.  However, what are the definitions of the two terms?  I don't like to be labeled, but, if I must I would like to use the right label as there are two diffent forums here at Susans.  You would think that after being at this for so long that I would know ha, ha.
  •  

Leigh

Look them up in the Wiki section.

Basically tg is a blanket term used to cover anyone who is or presents as gender varient.

TS is for those who are or claim to be women or men whose bodies are not congruent with their mental state.  In some cases there are people who say they are TS but yet have no desire to have surgery-- non-op.

Leigh
  •  

Alison

this is what I got :

Transgendered: People questioning their gender identity which
differs from their physical sex. May include crossdressers,
transsexuals, intersexed and others as an umbrella term.

Transsexual: A person whose birth genitalia differ from their
internal gender identity.

came from here

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/Evelyn/EvelynV.html

so it sounds like transsexuals -are- transgendered.... but not all transgendered people are transsexuals.....

•  

4years

Quote from: Alison on June 21, 2005, 11:53:45 AM
so it sounds like transsexuals -are- transgendered.... but not all transgendered people are transsexuals.....
Correct.
Transgender is a nice big ol umbrella, of which TS, CD and so on are apart.

Not that everyone you talk to will agree though, there seems to be some fluidity in the terms still. As an example, my endocrinologist refers to TS as TG, and CD as TS. ;) Me am going to have to educate him (=
  •