Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Ever used a vocal coach to change your voice?

Started by Arch, July 30, 2008, 12:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arch

I'm not sure I want to use T. Even if I do, I'm pretty sure that I would only take it for the vocal changes, and then stop once I've got my new voice. (I definitely want to pass, but I see myself more as boy than man, even at my age. Then again, maybe that's because I feel permanently stuck in a sort of preadolescent limbo, endlessly thirteen.) Anyway, my partner recently suggested that if I want T only for the voice change, I might consider voice training as a substitute for T. But I don't know if it really works.

Then again, it must have worked for someone. I have an old videocassette of a cheesy made-for-TV movie called HER LIFE AS A MAN (1984). Robyn Douglass plays a woman who passes as a male sportswriter. Her male character has a nice, believable tenor that Douglass apparently achieved with the help of a voice coach--I remember reading a short article in the TV mag I was getting back then (naturally, I was fascinated by the idea of a woman passing). I think that I wouldn't mind having a voice like that, but I wonder how much work it is to use an "unnatural" voice all the time. Would it be hard on the larynx? I unconsciously lowered my voice years ago, and I don't seem to have any problems. But I don't sound like a guy, and it's frustrating.

There are also voice training programs that you can buy. Lou Sullivan suggests one in his book. I've never tried one, but I'm thinking of buying one used. Has anyone else tried this, perhaps as a stopgap until you take T or until the T kicks in? Or has anyone here had a bona fide voice coach? The cassette programs are relatively cheap, but I hate to think how much a voice coach would cost, especially someone who actually has some expertise in making female actors sound male. But it might be worth it if it WORKS.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •