News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Sarah Palin and Feminists for Life

Started by NicholeW., August 30, 2008, 09:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicholeW.

Sarah Palin and Feminists for Life
By Ruth Rosen, AlterNet. Posted August 30, 2008.

http://www.alternet.org/election08/96991/

Many people are unfamiliar with Feminists for Life and wonder what the choice of Sarah Palin, who is against abortion rights, signals to the electorate.

Well, let me tell you something about Feminists for Life. In 2003, I decided to investigate this group and its energetic leader, Serrin Foster. What did it mean, I wondered, to be a feminist and actively fight against the right to choose when or whether to have a child?

So I went to a church in sprawling, suburban, wealthy Danville, California to hear Serrin Foster, president of Feminists for Life, speak on "The Feminist Case Against Abortion" to a huge crowd of mainly high-school students.

•  

glendagladwitch

If the state can force a woman to bear a child against her will, then it follows that the state can force a woman to terminate a pregnancy against her will.  That is one example of how the right to choose needs to be recognized and preserved.  I wonder how Sarah Palin would feel about a law forcing termination of pregnancies of Down's syndrome fetuses?  It is not that far fetched.  She should be glad she had the right to choose not to terminate the pregnancy of her Down's baby.  I admire her courage and the strength of her convictions, but not her attitude regarding the right to choose.

It would be great if the Feminists for Life actually practiced what they preached and put their money into lobbying for financial support and child care for single mothers, and/or directly funding such support.  It's a shame they allegedly use these arguments as tools to raise funds and then only use them to lobby against the right to choose.
  •