News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Presenting midline

Started by 6thsomatic, October 19, 2008, 10:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6thsomatic

Hi all!

My name is 6thsomatic, and Im a noob to the forum. I've lurked for a bit to get the feel, and have come to like what I've read!

A bit about myself: I'm 25 and an androgyne (bio-male). I'm usually not to forward with most people about my identity as I feel the vast majority wouldn't understand, but its pretty obvious that I'm more effeminate than most guys, which usually just makes people think I'm gay. None the less I'm happy with who I am and have felt recently that I should start being more forward with myself. Give the rest of the world the benefit of a doubt I suppose XD

In doing this I would like to of course appear more androgynous. I know its hard to say what I could do sight unseen (how do you set your avatar? lol!) but I was wondering if theres any advice that could be given. I feel I dress kind of midline (usually tighter jeans, basic tshirt, usually a hoodie) and am usually fairly well groomed, though my eyebrows could use a lil work at the moment. Anything is welcome =3

Thanks much!
6th
  •  

Saraloop

Hey there. :)
I'm noob to this scene too , and even newer to the andro 'look'. I am intrigued and hope we can both get good tips :D  I've had many bad encounters with the majority too and hope we can get more confidence to let ourselves be who we truly are!
  •  

Nicky

Nice to meet you 6thsomatic!

My question for you is what would you like to wear? Use that as your guide.
I think looking androgynous can be a few different things. One way of doing this is to appear so mixed people can't tell, another way is to remove all gender tells altogether. What sounds more like you?

In practise I think it is very difficult to achieve a truly recognisably androgynous look as people will likely put you into male or female regardless.

In terms of myself as a biomale andro, I'm probably aiming for a more fem appearance than a lot of other androgynes. I have been getting laser hair removal on my face (almost there, yay!) and I shape my eyebrows. I often mix and match the following and on occasion do the lot: wear nail polish (bright red usually), female sneakers or other flat shoes, my hair is long and I often tie it into pigtails and I sometimes wear hair clips. I wear female rings, necklaces and bracelets. My ears are also pierced. I think a set of dangly earrings on an otherwise male looking person can be really striking. On the odd occasion I'll put on a bra at home or wear a skirt. Sometimes I get rid of the hair on my chest or underarms. I used to do my legs but I can't stand the growback. I'm pretty hairy so I kind of just go with it now. It does not bother me.

I'm not all that keen on make-up simply because I can't be bothered but you could think about using some. There are some great neutral toned make-ups out there. You could just try some lip gloss, or do some emo eyes.
  •  

Pica Pica

Hello dere,

You've been lurking around so I spose you're getting a flavour of the discourse round here (strawberry).

Since I've been thinking about androgyne stuff, and more accepting of myself I have made one rule with regard to presentation - 'If I fancy the idea and I can afford it, why not?'. Which means that where I would have previously scorned my predilection for floral patterns or love of the colour purple etc... I now give that sort of thing a go.

That seems to be the way forward, not to look for girly stuff or seek an androgynous look but to ignore the invisible line and to wander around a whole shop picking out what I fancy.

Of course some stuff gets put back, I may like lots of female fashions, but a lot of it does not suit my figure or makes me feel self concious, I want to express myself as I dress, and although I reckon I am fun and colourful, I'm not a particularly loud person. I don't like being noticed or watched.

This does mean that most of the skirts, dresses and a good portion of tops were a 'try it once' affair. I adore dresses, I think they are lovely, but I feel very silly in them, so I'll just have to ogle the fashion mags like everyone else. And pink is just not the right colour for my skin, so that's not used often.

I've not tried female trousers or jeans, I've thought about it, but I imagine the fit to not be comfortable - though many of my jeans don't fit my hips anyway, so maybe I should give it a go.

It also means that my cack handed attempts at eye makeup will probably not be tolerated.

On the plus side, I will use blusher and lip gloss when I go clubbing, or want to impress...and I love painting flowers on my fingernails.

It also means I have bought girl's trainers...lots of pyjamas (I love pyjamas, spend much of the day in them writing) some knee socks, a few tee-shirts, a rucksack....

What I really love is girlying a mannish object up, pink shoelaces in my steel-toed black doc martins, (indeed buying girly shoe laces and spicing up dull shoes is quite satisfying) it's also nice to have little lapel badges and things. I have a (slightly eccentric) jacket I adore that I may iron appliqué flowers onto - I've developed a love for the floral in the last few months.

Course the other fun thing is accessories. I've always carried around a battered winnie the pooh pencilcase and a pink notebook with fairies on it, I always need a pen and notebook and they were both presents. But I am enjoying putting more feminine stuff in my room (within the restraints imposed by my landlady). This means I pick up nicely designed wrapping paper, cut it up and stick in on my wardrobes, i've put a large green flowered piece of material on my ceiling to break up the straight lines, and I love browsing stationary shops for cute postcards to stick around. Today I got some nice ones of cakes. I get a little lift, because I can't change the walls or the furniture, I can atleast change the pictures around. I would buy feminine bedding, love the swirls and curls of that stuff - but i can't afford it.

The other joy is beauty products, the sheer range of nice smelling products and flavours and textures...how soft and nice smelling freshly washed skin can possibly get.

To be honest, a lot of this stuff doesn't make you seem androgynous..and what is it really but giving yerself the licence to do and wear those things that you would have regarded as 'silly' before. But sometimes people notice, my friend becky informed me that i made the best person to go shopping with because it's all new and exciting to me, someone else noticed I was getting 'funkier'.

There are androgynes who really wish to be androgynous, some that wish to be so naked also...My experience is that I have become more open to items that are downright girly, and my confidence is wearing and buying such things stems from seeing myself as androgyne, but it really isn't a requirement. Can be fun though...
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Nicky

Just to reflect Pica's post, it seems to me that androgynes are often attracted to 'childish' (read "pure fun") things and accessories, of course it does come down to personal preference and whether you are brave enough or can get away with indulging these whims.

For example, I'm fond of my pigtails and frilly hair ties even though most 'grownups' won't wear them. It is funny Pica mentions his pencil case because mine is this vibrant blue psychedelic thing that I take to meetings at work and I only carry felt tip pens in it. I like to take notes in felt tip - splashes of green, red and pink, blue....
  •  

Jaimey

Plain jewelry, like rings and earrings are a good way to start. 

Also, if you want to go a little further, eyeliner can be pretty discreet, if you do it right.  Thin and right on the lash line and no one will be able to tell.  :)

Oh yeah!  Razor cuts can be really androgynous, as fair as hair goes.
If curiosity really killed the cat, I'd already be dead. :laugh:

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •  

6thsomatic

Thanks for the warm welcome all ^_^

I suppose as far as style goes I do keep mooostly male. I do have some more female cut tshirts in my wardrobe, and most all of my male shirts are tight fitting. As for ladies jeans I havent given those a try just yet, but I will soon enough. Most of mine like I said are tight fitting and usually a boot cut, but that does little in the way of the rest of the fit.

As for makeup I've done it before. I'm actually pretty good at eyeliner and the lot (and have the eyes for it too). I use to paint my nails when I was a gothy lil teen. Who knows, I might just again!
  •  

JonasCarminis

if you want "male" shirts tat are more anrogynous or possibly kindof feminine, try tighter V neck shirts.  yes you'll find them in the mens section. :P
  •  

Jaimey

Color is a good way to go too...personally, I think pink looks quite nice on the male body...*swoon*...eh-hem...

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •  

Pica Pica

•  

6thsomatic

Quote from: Chet on October 21, 2008, 12:56:12 AM
if you want "male" shirts tat are more anrogynous or possibly kindof feminine, try tighter V neck shirts.  yes you'll find them in the mens section. :P

Good call! Ima look into those!
  •  

CryoMax

Quote from: Jaimey on October 21, 2008, 03:41:39 PM
Color is a good way to go too...personally, I think pink looks quite nice on the male body...*swoon*...eh-hem...

I love pink, but if there's too much red in it, it brings out the pink in my skin tone too much.  :P  Gotta make sure the color looks good on you, regardless of what you think of the color.  ;)  I have a friend who is always telling us, "Don't let me buy anything that's "camel colored" -- I love camel, but god do I look awful in it."

...Paul
  •  

sparkles

ive found that the right fitting clothes are important and the little acsesorys that you wear too, like ear rings and necklaces also the shoes seem to be really important as people really seem to notice them. also the hair style can be the biggest thing.
  •  

RebeccaFog

I like this thread.

Too bad I live with a gender cop.   :-\

I've been thinking about what I'd like to try. All of you have good ideas.
  •  

6thsomatic

I've actually started wearing my nails a little longer. Do like ^_^
  •  

Nicky

Quote from: 6thsomatic on November 07, 2008, 05:59:53 PM

I tried that too, but I kept getting holes in my socks and it was all too easy to put a run in your stockings. :-\

•  

Jaimey

Quote from: Nicky on November 10, 2008, 05:27:39 PM
Quote from: 6thsomatic on November 07, 2008, 05:59:53 PM

I tried that too, but I kept getting holes in my socks and it was all too easy to put a run in your stockings. :-\

Also, if you wear contacts, it becomes a lot easier to poke your eyes out.  :P

•  

Nicky

Quote from: Jaimey on November 10, 2008, 05:30:16 PM
Also, if you wear contacts, it becomes a lot easier to poke your eyes out.  :P

Definitly lots of benefits to having long nails. ;)
  •  

Pica Pica

painting flowers on them... love that... going to go to a party sat with floral fingers, a serious black suit and a hat a spent all yesterday sewing sequins and beads on.
  •