Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

I need some very basic Make up tutoring, webpages, or tips

Started by annajasmine, October 22, 2008, 10:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

annajasmine

I need some very basic make up tutoring, webpages, or tips. I'm always been unhappy with my results. So any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Anna
  •  

TamTam

What exactly bothers you about your results? :) And are we talking eyes, mouth, foundation..?
  •  

tekla

There is a site, makeup dot com, that might be able to help you, that or Mary Quant's book is very good for beginners.  Or find someone who knows to teach you, that's what I did.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

annajasmine

I'm not big on foundation that is very noticeable. I have watched my Sister, Mom, and Aunt put on make up that seems like that is what they want. So watching them wasn't much help.
I don't have the best skin because I had acne till about a year ago I'm 34.
Also I have added eye liner and lip liner to my bag and sure how apply them properly.
I do have trouble getting things just to go together.

Thanks for the site and book recommendation tekla.

Anna

•  

tekla

I think eyeliner was the worst.  Some things are much easier to learn at 14 then at 24 as it turns out.  But a real person, makeup type consultant, can at least give you the right colors and put things together for you that would work for your skin type and complexion.  Perhaps a stand alone MAC store, though I've heard good things about Merle Norman for those in regions that don't have MAC stores.

Making Faces
by Kevyn Aucoin is a pretty good book.  A bit more than a beginner guide, he gets pretty elaborate.

Real basic beginners stuff,
Classic Makeup and Beauty (DK Living) (Paperback) - a more basic guide
Ultimate Makeup & Beauty Book (Hardcover) - more elaborate
both by Mary Quant the 'inventor' of the miniskirt, among other fashion deals.

The Make-Up Book: Every Woman's Guide to the Art of Applying Make-Up
by Joy Terri seems to have its fans too.
  •  

Suzy

Books can be helpful, but the most helpful thing you will ever do is to find a skilled person and have a makeover done.  You may have to ask around in the community there.  Make sure s/he doesn't mind explaining to you what you need to do and to get.    It was the single most helpful thing I did.  Then those things you see other girls doing will begin to make sense.

Best of luck!

Kristi
  •  

Just Mandy

I'll second Tekla the book Making Faces is very good. I also like Makeup Makeover and Face Forward.

I spend a lot of time at makeuptalk.com and it's a great resource and the girls/women are
very friendly and helpful. And Kristi's suggestion to get a makeover done is a good one to. I learned a lot just
by doing that.

But the best advise is practice, practice, practice. The more you do it the easier it becomes and the better you
get.

Amanda

Something sleeps deep within us
hidden and growing until we awaken as ourselves.
  •  

mtfbuckeye

I'm aiming at looking as natural as possible, and haven't done any make-up for YEARS. I could use a TON of help.
  •  

julogden

I'm new here, but I'm an old hand at CD'ing and makeup, so I'll jump right in. I'll agree with those who urged you to get a good book or two, and I also agree with Kristi, if you can find someone to show you how in person, that's the best way to learn about makeup. Also, YouTube has lots of makeup how-to videos, check them out.

Regardless of which path you take, the most important part of learning how to do makeup well is practicing. Practice whenever you can, and don't be afraid to make a mess, just remove it and start over again, but remember what you did wrong so you won't repeat your mistakes. Doesn't hurt to take pictures for reference, pretty easy nowadays with digital cameras.

I used to clip out photos from articles and ads in fashion magazines that showed makeup that I liked and put them in a scrapbook for future reference, then I'd try to duplicate those looks on myself. Made a mess many times, but I learned a lot that way. I'd also urge you to learn how to use cosmetic brushes, they make makeup application more precise and ultimately more easy.

Carol
  •  

Ms Jessica

The How-Tos are all very good references, but you may still have trouble finding things that go well with your skin tone, etc.  Because of the acne issue you mentioned, you may want to look for make-up that is non-comedogenic (won't clog pores).
Because of your requirements, I would strongly second tekla's suggestion about a stand-alone MAC store.  If that's not an option, you could always try a department store make-up counter.  If you're shy, go on a slow day, like Sunday afternoon.  You can usually get make-up consulting done even if you're dressed as a guy, the sales people really don't care that much, IMHO.  They're really just more interested in making the sale. 

If you're in a rural area, that may be harder, but short of having someone teach you, you can have a lot of problems, especially with foundation-- I bought several different kinds before I gave up, went to Macy's and had the Estee-Lauder sales lady find me the right shade.  I bought it, and haven't had any trouble since. 

One word of caution about MAC stores-- most of what they'll do around your eyes will make you look like a prostitute or rock goddess.  You may be okay with that result, but know that most women don't do their eye makeup like that.  Don't get me wrong, I love going there, and I always buy stuff, and have the girls do my eye makeup anyway, just know that it's a bit extreme.  If you're going out for an evening, it'll be fine.  If you need something to wear to work, then tell them you need something subtle. 

In keeping with Carol's suggestion about brushes, etc.-- The really great part about a MAC store is that the girls will tell you which brushes to use for what. 
  •  

katherine

Hi All,
This is interesting.  I'm in a situation right now where I really can't practice putting on makeup.  At some point I do want to find a place to have a makeover done and ideally someone who will teach me.  I so hate the position I'm in right now, but I know things will change again, and I can get out and learn such things.  I appreciate the information being offered here.
  •  

lizbeth

as others have mentioned there are lots of tips and tricks out there. also youtube has several videos that show makeup techniques and makeovers.

if you are looking to expirement with colors, I found that iVillage's virtual makeover is pretty useful and at the same time a ton of fun!

http://beauty.ivillage.com/0,,9jlxfdd5,00.html

you have to register of course, but it's free and then you can upload a photo and play around until your heart's content.

here is me playing around a while back with a darker version of jennifer aniston's hair and makeup ;D

•  

katherine

That's interesting.  I registered with ivillage a few weeks ago.  They also have a virtual model that you can configure to your likeness (body style, hair) and try on different clothes to see how they might look on you.  I'll have to look for the virtual makeover. Thanks!
  •  

jenny_

•  

katherine

Thank you, Jenny.  I noticed some of them posted on this site as well.  I so wish I could start practicing now.  I plan to spend time looking over these resources.  I'm also hoping that when I return home I'll be able to find someone who will show me how as well.
  •  

jenny_

Yeah, female friends (and probably some males as well!*) are probably the best to get makeup tips from.

One surprising thing that i did find, though, was that quite a few females are completely useless when it comes to makeup!  Even to the point where they were asking me for advice, probably just because i put so much effort into it.

Not being perfect with makeup doesn't really make you un-female!  Though i know its nice too be able to do it well.

*going by my male friends anyway
  •  

tekla

I would try some Mary Kay or Avon lady and see if they will teach you, assuming you don't know any 14-16 year old girls, who are pretty much the experts on the subject.
  •  

katherine

I can think of a female or two that I'd be afraid to ask :)  I've thought of a Mary Kay rep, but never got up the nerve to ask.  I would, but my wife wouldn't appreciate that much at all.  Sometimes life is so complicated, but much of that is my own fault.  I know I don't have to be perfect with application, but right now I'm not even good.  I just want to be more presentable as a woman.  The online sale at Old Navy today helped with other things :)  I really do appreciate the advice I'm getting, thank you!
  •  

NightAngel

oh yes, that's just what I needed, Thank you girls for all those websites, tips and help. :icon_wave:

:icon_hug: Michelle :icon_hug:
  •  

tekla

Just remember - MAKEUP IS A CRAFT.

By that, I mean something that requires practice over time.  Something that has a variety of skills going on to complete a final result, so it's part knowing the products and tools, what does what, what colors work with other ones, and which ones work with you and complement you.  Then there is the ability to USE the tools well, and some of this is pretty fine detail work, as you know or are finding out. 

Then its lots, and lots, and lots of practice.  Watching all the vids in the world will never get you any better without a lot of practice of the techniques your are viewing.
  •