Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Trinidad's clergy fight 'sex-change capital' label

Started by Sandi, July 04, 2005, 10:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandi

By MIKE GARRETT
THE PUEBLO CHIEFTAIN

TRINIDAD - In the city known as the "sex change capital of the world," a group of local ministers blame the practice for unleashing gender and morality confusion.

Some ministers and congregation members are asking what kind of spiritual, emotional and physical damage the sex-change operations are having on recipients and the city's reputation since Dr. Stanley Biber began offering the surgeries in the late 1960s.

They say that such surgeries really aren't necessary, citing Johns Hopkins University studies that conclude that they don't successfully treat most patients in dealing with their gender identity issues. After originating the sex-change operations, Johns Hopkins has since discontinued them based on those studies.

Since last November, some Trinidad Ministerial Association members and their respective congregations have been circulating petitions asking that Mount San Rafael Hospital and resident gynecologist and sex-change surgeon Dr. Marci Bowers cease performing the operations.

"This is thinly-veiled bigotry and I'm really saddened by it," said Bowers, a protege and former patient of Biber, the now retired sex change surgeon. She said critics should personally ask her patients how they feel about themselves after their operation and not base their actions on flawed, superficial misinformation before casting moral judgments.

[read more...]
  •  

Susan

Quote from: Sandi on July 04, 2005, 10:41:10 AM
TRINIDAD - In the city known as the "sex change capital of the world," a group of local ministers blame the practice for unleashing gender and morality confusion.

I dunno about the rest of you but my morality meter is a strong as ever. There is no immorality associated with transgender behavior provided you are not dressing to attempt deceive people for immoral purposes. That's another reason I support informed consent when dealing with people in any intimate situations.

Quote from: Sandi on July 04, 2005, 10:41:10 AMSome ministers and congregation members are asking what kind of spiritual, emotional and physical damage the sex-change operations are having on recipients and the city's reputation since Dr. Stanley Biber began offering the surgeries in the late 1960s.

Transgender people world wide are known as being spiritual people just look at this site. We discuss spirituality with a depth and breadth most people who are considered by society to be normal wouldn't even touch. For me my spirituality is a core part of my being.

Quote from: Sandi on July 04, 2005, 10:41:10 AMThey say that such surgeries really aren't necessary, citing Johns Hopkins University studies that conclude that they don't successfully treat most patients in dealing with their gender identity issues. After originating the sex-change operations, Johns Hopkins has since discontinued them based on those studies.

They may not think they are necessary but the majority of transsexuals would be quite happy to disagree. Any post ops here not more comfortable in yourself since having the surgery? It sounds like these people are stuck on the word sex change. I much prefer the word gender reassignment over sex change as sex is something you do while gender is something you are.

Since last November, some Trinidad Ministerial Association members and their respective congregations have been circulating petitions asking that Mount San Rafael Hospital and resident gynecologist and sex-change surgeon Dr. Marci Bowers cease performing the operations.

I hope every one of my members will take a moment and write the hospital and Dr Bowers and let them know they are providing a much needed service to a community that desperately needs it.

"This is thinly-veiled bigotry and I'm really saddened by it," said Bowers, a protege and former patient of Biber, the now retired sex change surgeon. She said critics should personally ask her patients how they feel about themselves after their operation and not base their actions on flawed, superficial misinformation before casting moral judgments.

Agreed on the bigotry part but I strongly disagree that there is anything thinly veiled about this.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Sandi

Susan I couldn't agree with you more. The reason I posted it was to expose the idiocy of the article, not to endorse it, though I guess I didn't make that clear.

Sandi
  •  

stephanie_craxford

My support for Dr Marci Bowers, has been emailed and is on it's way.  It gets really scary when groups try to enforce their beliefs on other groups.  It reminds me of the days when people went around burning abortion clinics.  But sadly that still happens from time to time.  It that same old stupid argument that "we" and antthing accosiated with us is immoral.  It makes you want to scream.  Just because they have a god that they worship, they think that they are the keeps of us all, and only they know what's best for us.  I know that there a lot of member here who believe in God {or a god/supreme being) and I in no way accosiate them and the article being discussed,  but I get so darn mad when some try to force their "morals" on me, and others like me.  I guess I was "moral enough" when I spent 29+ years risking my liffe serving my country.  But I digress...  stepping down from the soap box...

Thanks for that - wow do I feel better  :D

•  

Terri-Gene

"They may not think they are necessary but the majority of transsexuals would be quite happy to disagree. Any post ops here not more comfortable in yourself since having the surgery? It sounds like these people are stuck on the word sex change. I much prefer the word gender reassignment over sex change as sex is something you do while gender is something you are"

I look at it rather the opposite.  Actually i'd care less if they called it dirty rotten rat surgery, as long as it got the job done.

From the very depths of TG culture it is always about sex vs. gender, with one camp describing sex as the presence or absence of a chromozone and the other describing a state of mind, or gender.

From that I can't understand GRS or Gender Reassignment Surgery, whatever, I don't really believe my gender is being touched, so I've always been more prone to SRS rather then GRS, though like I said, if it does the job, who cares?  Anyway, I hope it bothers nobody to much if they have a favorite.  Just another word with a pile of definitions.

Terri
  •  

Susan

Quote from: Sandi on July 04, 2005, 05:13:05 PM
Susan I couldn't agree with you more. The reason I posted it was to expose the idiocy of the article, not to endorse it, though I guess I didn't make that clear.

Not one word i posted was in reference to you Sandi :) I just had to speak out at the stupidity and hatred mankind can show to their fellow human beings.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Leigh

Quote from: Susan on July 04, 2005, 03:27:33 PM

Any post ops here not more comfortable in yourself since having the surgery?

If comparing who I am and where I am now after surgery, to a coffin, I thnk I could say I was more comfortable
  •  

beth

i have seen documentarys featuring Dr Bowers and have spoken to her thru email and believe she is a wonderful person helping many people and surely doe not deserve this. Her practice prolly keeps that little berg from becoming a ghost town.  It will be kinda fun though, when we pass on and go to wherever we go because we will be assigned to explain to these ministers and all those that hate in the name of a god exactly where they had it wrong. I imagine we will be giving them assignments to teach them compassion and common sense and it's gonna be fun!     :eusa_whistle:

beth
  •  

Leigh

Stanley Bieber at one time was the elected mayor of Trinidad,  The hospital is the main source of income for the town for a long time

Trinidad is not a big town but it is in the middle of some awesome country.
  •  

LeslieGirl

Hi

My support for Marci Bowers has been E Mailed

LeslieGirl
  •  

4years

I prefer to think GRS as genital reassignment surgery, because after all that is all that is being done.
  •  

Terri-Gene

That one I could buy, but like I said, I'm not a label or name councious person when you get right down to it all I care about is can it get the job done or not?  thats all that counts for my money.

Terri
  •  

beth

QuoteI prefer to think GRS as genital reassignment surgery, because after all that is all that is being done.

that is a good term, i like genital correction surgery best.
  •  

Maura Hartman

Quote from: LeslieGirl on July 05, 2005, 12:39:39 AM
Hi

My support for Marci Bowers has been E Mailed

LeslieGirl

Me too hon!
Oddly enough Marci had told me that she was in a toe to toe battle here in Seattle where she shared office space in the Nordstrom Tower, a wing of Swedish Medical Center. I don't think it had a anything to do with her business as a noted and very skilled surgeon, but rather was the result of a review of all practices affiliated with Swedish Medical Center. It seems that in an isolated case not related in any way to Marci's practice someone placed a cleaning solution in a patient's IV which resulted in her death. Apparently the board of trustees started a witch hunt as a knee-jerk reaction to review any and all practices by affiliated physicians that could potentially bring litigation against the hospital. Marci sees a lot of her transsexual patients from the west coast here in Seattle and sets dates and criteria for future SRS performed in Trinidad. I am sorry that she is having to endure such great stress in her practice as the fallout from it can only affect us all in a potentially adverse manner and drive up costs.
  •  

beth

I sent Dr. Bowers my support the other day.

tonite i wrote a letter to the editor of the Pueblo Chieftain:

Re:  Dr. Marci Bowers

I have read in your paper about the ongoing controversy regarding Dr. Bowers practice and would like to suggest a possible solution. It seems the only controversy is whether the surgeries are necessary and if they are successful in treating Gender Dysphoria. I suggest the town consult experts in GID, psychology and Sexual Reassignment Surgery and find the truth. This will expose those that manipulate information to justify imposing unjust restrictions on those beyond their control in the same way they have manipulated the word of God to restrict those they do control.

Regards Beth ********
I will supply my full name and address if you wish to publish this.

beth
  •