Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

A not so accepting family

Started by deathsia, November 18, 2008, 06:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsia

(i'm just chalk full of questions... :)  and finding the proper ctagories is a pain..lol)

ok...so my family pretends to be accpting on the surface..but beyond that i honestly don't think they accept what i am aiming to become..my cuzon who am currently living with as well as my mom act like they accept it on the surface but they try to avoid the subject entirely when i speak of it...any advice on ice breaker subjects?
  •  

gennee

I'm sure that they are trying to digest the idea of you transitioning. Do it when you feel comfortable but don't force it upon them.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Ellieka

I would suggest opening a dialog by telling them that your concerned about their feelings and would like to address them. I could be somthing as simple as them being afraid to talk about it. Let them know its OK to ask questions about you if your comfortable with that and also be open to listening to them while they express their feelings.
  •  

Krystal

i don't think they want to even ask questions...but i can always try that..thx for the advice..i'll post again after i've tried that.
  •  

Jay

My parents are like that.. You cant talk to them about it. They have known for WAY over a year now but they dont talk about it. They pretend it doesn't exsist. Painful :(

•  

Ellieka

Yeah, it does kinda bite. I came out to my family almost three weeks ago... haven't heard from any of them since. But I made it clear that I love them all and that they are still welcome to talk to me or ask me about anything thats on their mind. If they want to harbor bad feelings against me now at least I know that its all on them and not me. They made the choice not to talk to me, not I.
  •  

mickie88

here's my experience, some of my family accepts and/or says they do but would rather i not do it in front of the kids and don't understand what a life long living hell it is transition in the first place, then want you to stop doing it and be somebody they want you to be because you have kids. i tell them they can ask questions, but some of them when they ask questions, its the same questions over and over again, my mind hasn't changed from the last time i answered that question, why would it be different now and we get involved in a shouting match, so i just shut up and don't talk about it with anyone but people on here. from my experience they say they want to talk about it but they really don't, they are jsut hoping i'll change my mind.

Warrior Princess Mickie
  •  

Krystal

ya..my sister has children herself....and i often wonder what they will think of me now..they have known me as their "uncle" since they have been born...i don't wanna confuse them but at the same time i don't want to put this off any longer than i have to....i love each one of my niece and nephues like they are my own..and would give my life for any of them in a heart beat...that's what happens when you grow up with them since basically the first day they were born... :)
  •