News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Lessons

Started by Jessica, July 07, 2005, 12:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica

A Comment,
Quote...is one of the lessons I've learned this life.
made by 4years in this thread
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,435.15.html
Got me thinking.  If I were to die tomorrow, what is the single most important lesson that I have learned.

I think it is this.  Failure to accept yourself for who you are is fatal.

Anyone else?

Jessica
  •  

4years

Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you criticize them.

It's a lesson I'm pretty sure I knew, but one I've definitely needed reminding of.
  •  

Dennis

Living up to the expectations of others without regard to yourself means that you will fail yourself.

Dennis
  •  

stephanie_craxford

I believe that you have to be true to yourself.

Steph
  •  

VeryGnawty

If I were to die tomorrow, it would be a shame if I forgot this:

Quote from: Mahatma GandhiLearn as if you were to live forever.  Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Terri-Gene

"Failure to accept yourself for who you are is fatal."

the same could be said for accepting who you are.  I see it as more in line of recognizing who you really are deep down where it counts and working to correct things you recognize as wrong.  What you at one time believe about yourself may or may not be the truth, but you must sort these things out.  It is after all, a matter of self improvement, this applies to all aspects of life, not necessarily Gender

Terri
  •  

Terri-Gene

"Learn as if you were to live forever.  Live as if you were to die tomorrow"

Now there is one I got not argument with.

Terri
  •  

Leigh

Dec 7th 2001-----Laid off at work
Dec 18th 2001----diagnosed with cancer

January 5th 2002 ----surgery for cancer
February 18th 2002--Started radiation treatments
7 weeks later-----------finished once a day rad treatments
August 11th? 2002--PEG tube for feeding removed
August 20th 2002---flew to Thailand for Surgery
August 23, 2002-----born again

Lesson>>If there is something you want or need to do, do not hesitate one second, just f'ing do it.  You may not be here tomorrow.

•  

stephanie_craxford

Leigh,

I can see and understand where you got your outlook from.  2001 - 2002 were years must have been hell for you.  I agree with and like your take on things.  In the blink of an eye, with out any warning, our lives can be changed forever or ended, just as quickly.  We only get one chance at this (life), so make sure it is what you want and not how or what others want.

I guess you could say, "live each day as though it could be your last, because one day it will be"

I can't remember the song but  "don't worry, be happy"

Steph
  •  

Leigh

Thanks Stephanie

One item I left out.  My original surgery date was 2 months earlier.  When I knew that I was not going to make it was the lowest point of my life.  Working and saving toward just one day out of thousands and it was GONE

My insurance for scripts ran out.  Doesn't take long at $100 a day for meds.  I used most of my savings surviving.  I sold things, sometimes for as little as 10 cents on the dollar so that I would have the money I needed.  They were just things.  If I didn't make the table I wouldn't need things.
  •  

wajdi

This is probably going to be rambling.  The main thing I've learned about life is that you have to LIVE it.  So, if you're going to live your life, you really should enjoy it.  If you're not enjoying life, something is seriously wrong, and you should take steps to correct that.  Life is full of lessons, and it's my belief that we are here to learn those lessons.  I firmly believe that life is to be enjoyed, so. . . enjoy life, or change things in your life that aren't enjoyable; make your life fun.  Not just some parts of your life, but ALL things in your life.   No, I don't enjoy taking the garbage out, but I do enjoy living without a huge pile of garbage in the kitchen.  If you don't enjoy your job, find out why.  Maybe it's just the people with whom you work, or the conditions under which you work.  Find another job, or another place to work.  When I first joined the Air Force, I had a choice:  I could have gone into Security Police and had all of six weeks training for an easy job, or gone into linguistic training and had two and a half years of very tough training, and gone into a very tough job.  I chose linguistics, toughed out the training, and enjoyed a very challenging, very rewarding job, that opened up a LOT of additional opportunities for me.  Yeah, I loved the job, and loved taking advantage of the additional opportunities.  So, make life fun.  I guess that's what all the above boils down to.  Make life fun.
  •  

ChefAnnagirl

Finally being more truly and honestly loving, and deeply respecting of myself, no matter how "selfish" anyone else has percieved that to be, is one of the primary catalysts in making my self "reawakening" and my transitional process, finally become a reality in my life...
What many people think about taking real care of oneself as being completely selfish is NOT... wiithout doing exactly this, I could never have been as good for my own self, and therefore by extension of love, respect, and truthfulness, everyone else in my life to the extent that me being myself can and will be ultimately more beneficial in all of our lives than otherwise.

It is completely, negatively, ignorantly, and savagely selfish of all others to attempt to interfere with this kind of self-evolving process for any other single person or persons...

Love Forever,

Annagirl
Level the playing field
  •  

Celia

Don't say grace until after you've taken the first bite of the meal. :)

-Celia
Only the young die young.
  •