Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Cross-dress for success in online gaming

Started by LostInTime, July 31, 2006, 10:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Article

In an About.com poll taken last summer, nearly two-thirds of the 920 respondents said they play characters of the opposite sex in online role-playing games.

Kathryn Wright, WomenGamers.com's consulting psychologist, earlier this decade found that 60 per cent of male players who don female avatars, or on-screen personas, do it to gain an advantage in game play.

An enthusiast with the online handle Jackpot649 nailed the zeitgeist in his response to the About.com query: "I'm a guy, but if I gotta look at an avatar all day, I'd sooner look at a female avatar. Plus, people give you more free stuff."
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: LostInTime on July 31, 2006, 10:10:05 AM
Article

In an About.com poll taken last summer, nearly two-thirds of the 920 respondents said they play characters of the opposite sex in online role-playing games.

Kathryn Wright, WomenGamers.com's consulting psychologist, earlier this decade found that 60 per cent of male players who don female avatars, or on-screen personas, do it to gain an advantage in game play.

An enthusiast with the online handle Jackpot649 nailed the zeitgeist in his response to the About.com query: "I'm a guy, but if I gotta look at an avatar all day, I'd sooner look at a female avatar. Plus, people give you more free stuff."

A good link for the Wiki article about this topic.

Steph
  •  

LostInTime

•  

sheila18

lost in time:
that is interesting! thanks. My first question was about the consulting psycologist, my first assumption is it gotta be a marketing consultant ...but then again ...
   I wonder what marketing research has been done on transgendered folk.
Obviously they felt it was odd that there were way too many chicks playing what is condidered a guy endevour ...or is it a trans endevour?   :D
sheila18
  •  

LostInTime

First rule of the Internet....the hot looking female avvy you are talking to is probably a 13 yo male sitting at home.   :P
  •  

Kimberly

The 'sexier' the avatar, the more of a clue it is too, lol.

*chortle* Never had any problem with my Tauren though (WOW type character, anthropomorphic ... cow. ;) -- she is cute too!)
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: LostInTime on August 01, 2006, 10:45:20 AM
First rule of the Internet....the hot looking female avvy you are talking to is probably a 13 yo male sitting at home.   :P

But I swear it's a real picture of me. ;)

Melissa
  •  

sheila18

Quote from: LostInTime on August 01, 2006, 10:45:20 AM
First rule of the Internet....the hot looking female avvy you are talking to is probably a 13 yo male sitting at home.   :P
you know , i had not considered that when replying to your post, you're right. That is a paradigm shift
I must admit that since I came out i get more stuff !
sheila18
  •