Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Games, Gamers, and how does it affect or not affect your social life.

Started by cindybc, December 21, 2008, 11:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cindybc

Hi All this topic appears to be quite popular and comes up as off topic quite frequently on different other topics. I pray that this thread will serve those who are interested in this topic. Enjoy.

Cindy
  •  

Jeatyn

My gaming IS my social life

I don't have a single close friend I didn't meet online through some game

We usually meet in person....for more gaming
  •  

Vexing

Simple answer:
It doesn't. Affect my social life.
Some of my friends are gamers, so we game once in a while. Some of my friends are drinkers so we drink once in a while. Some of my friends are sports fans so we watch the rugby once in a while.
Etc, etc, etc.
Gaming is no different to any other activity.
I don't see why people always want to put it in a box on its own labeled "ANTISOCIAL, BAD, ADDICTIVE". It's just another hobby. Any hobby or social activity can be taken to the extreme.
  •  

cindybc

I agree Vexing, I don't watch TV and I am not into doing much outdoors in the winter, so my hobby is mostly communications with other folks on the Internet, actually much of my leisure time is spent on the internet either sharing with people or as I say to Wing Walker, being on rescue missions. I also do allot of research because if your going to be on rescue missions you better know what your talking about. No one has all the answers. So I suppose gaming would have it's similarities, you have to have knowledge and experience of the game in order to play it effectively. I love a challenge, and I must admit I am darn good at it.;D But I also love socializing with other folks out there.

Carry on guys and goils, have fun.

Cindy   
  •  

Kelsey

My friends and I do the "Old" video game thing and watch movies instead of doing drugs and Booz.
So it effects us in that we are healthier and less likely at many risks; and we save alot of money buying a 12 pack of Mountain Dew for $4, instead of a 6 pack of booz for $8. So its a Win-Win :)

And on my own, I set up a WVI to my portable DVD player So I can play my xbox 360 in my room even when its in the basement without wires going through the house
Turn the xbox on with the controller, which also turns on the WVI, and manually turn on the screen. Then BAM, xbox in my room without my parents knowing because the xbox is 2 floors away from me. So in turn I can play it all night and does not effect my social life.
  •  

Vexing

FYI, a friend of mine got type II diabetes from Mountain Dew.
I'll stick to the red wine, which has proven health benefits.
  •  

tekla

From Mountain Dew exclusively?  Or was it the entire bad diet that goes with drinking Mtn. Dew?
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Vexing

Quote from: tekla on December 22, 2008, 06:16:09 PM
From Mountain Dew exclusively?  Or was it the entire bad diet that goes with drinking Mtn. Dew?

Roughly 2 litres of Dew each day. Ruined his teeth too.
  •  

cindybc

Me I'm a club soda addict. Kentucky Fried Chicken or mac and cheese with tomatoes.

Cindy
  •  

Vexing

Quote from: cindybc on December 22, 2008, 06:31:01 PM
Me I'm a club soda addict. Kentucky Fried Chicken or mac and cheese with tomatoes.

Cindy
I won't touch KFC, after seeing the conditions the hens they use are raised in.
Absolutely abominable. I actually threw up.
  •  

tekla

What?  Are we somehow interfering with its ability to be a doctor, air traffic controller, or IT quality control expert?
  •  

Pneumonica

Quote from: Jeatyn on December 22, 2008, 05:37:08 AM
My gaming IS my social life

Aside the fact that my gaming is tabletop RPGs, and I've only recently graduated to online tabletops, we seem to share a social life.   :D

EDIT:  Corrected the quote.  Stupid multiple windows.
  •  

Vexing

Quote from: tekla on December 22, 2008, 06:35:30 PM
What?  Are we somehow interfering with its ability to be a doctor, air traffic controller, or IT quality control expert?
Have you seen the conditions they live in?
  •  

Pneumonica

I am not a mod, and I do not seek to step on the collective fingers of the mods, but I would posit that the treatment of chickens in KFC facilities is distinctly off-topic and should be put into another thread.  Since I'm interested in this thread, I'm just wanting to keep it clear.

Back on topic, how many tabletop RPGers are rummaging about?  It's always fun pretending to be somebody you're not.  Or sometimes pretending to be someone you are but can't admit to.   :D
  •  

tekla

I've seen conditions that human's are housed in, and live in, solve those, and I'll worry about the KFC chickens, which, I don't eat anyway, really, there is good chicken.
  •  

Vexing

Quote from: Pneumonica on December 22, 2008, 07:01:56 PM
Back on topic, how many tabletop RPGers are rummaging about?  It's always fun pretending to be somebody you're not.  Or sometimes pretending to be someone you are but can't admit to.   :D

Played various tabletop RPGs, the World of Darkness games were my thing for several years. Recently I've been involved in an A Game of Thrones RPG and a Star Wars RPG.
  •  

Vexing

Quote from: tekla on December 22, 2008, 07:03:03 PM
I've seen conditions that human's are housed in, and live in, solve those, and I'll worry about the KFC chickens
Humans are capable of solving their own housing issues. Chickens who have been caged by humans have zero options.
  •  

lisagurl

QuoteFYI, a friend of mine got type II diabetes from Mountain Dew.

Corn syrup.
  •  

cindybc

There are humans on this planet that live in worst conditions then the chickens raised by the corperate funded mega farms and even pigs and have no alternative or choice on how they live because the fat cats that govern their countries steal it from them. But then that is another topic like housing third world countries street people in north America and chickens.

Cindy 
  •  

Reese

I love games and play them occasionally for pleasure. If my friends like to play them, then we get together over one for a few hours. If anything, games have enhanced my social life; given me common grounds with some people I'd otherwise never know.

But I do have a friend who got addicted to video games, and he let it monopolize his time way too much; in high school, he had to drop down a grade because he played them almost all the time, even during classes. Strange as it sounds, for some people, I think video games can get dangerous, socially. It's like everything else, really: moderation is important.

Also, that much mountain dew is madness!
  •