Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

BOOK REVIEW: Just Add Hormones: An Insider’s Guide to the Transsexual Experience

Started by LostInTime, August 02, 2006, 02:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

BOOK REVIEW: Just Add Hormones: An Insider's Guide to the Transsexual Experience, by Matt Kailey
Testosterone Files, by Max Wolf Valerio

The transgender publishing world is exploding, and these two books, Just Add Hormones and Testosterone Files, are among the best of the recent crop. Both capture what it is like to be an F-to-M, that is, female-to-male, transgendered or transsexual man.

Matt Kailey lived as a straight woman for 42 years and then transitioned with hormones and surgery into a self-proclaimed transsexual, also becoming a gay man in the process. His book, Just Add Hormones, is the more analytical of the two, and perhaps more clinically informational.
  •  

Mario

I just read this book. It is informative, I found personally I didn't agree with alot of what he had to say. It was almost like he was maybe lonely at the time it was written. who knows. But overall a good book.

Marco
  •  

Dennis

I had the same, Marco. A lot of Matt's book didn't really resonate with me, but it is part of the diversity among us. I did think it was a good read and well written, it didn't really speak to my experience or what I've taken from it. Becoming a Visible Man by Jamison Green did so more for me.

I haven't read Max Wolf Valerio's book, but I'd like to.

Dennis
  •  

Mario

Dennis,
         I'm glad it wasn't only me then on Matt's book. I thought maybe I was being too critical. I too would like to read  Max Wolf Valerio's book. I just need to order it. I wonder why these books are not avalible in the "big" bookstores?

Marco
  •