Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

In Our View: Stand Fast, Schools

Started by LostInTime, August 04, 2006, 04:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Remember the little one who is TG?  Here is an Op Ed piece on that issue.

Op Ed Link

We disagree, and after reviewing the controversy presented in a recent Associated Press story, we suggest that schools enroll children according to their biology. It's reasonable for teachers to call a child by the name a parent requests. And it is imperative that schools do all they can to prevent bullying in any form. But, on this issue, how far should public schools be expected to involve themselves?

It is unfair to other children, and to Nicole, to pretend boys are girls or girls are boys, as Nicole's family is willing to do for the 5-year-old-son. Parents might be failing Nicole, but the public school system should refuse to get on board. Accommodations for restrooms, locker room etc. should not be made. Some transsexual advocates disagree. One man (formerly a woman) is hoping Nicole will become the poster child for the condition saving people, he says, from suicide associated with "gender dysphoria."
  •  

Cindi Jones

I saw a family interviewed on Larry King a few weeks ago.  One of their teen aged daughters was going through his real life test as a male in school.  At first thought, I felt "Yea! it's great to have support like this."

But then I started thinking of the ramifications.  The child would not be given HRT or surgeries and would be allowed to fully develop while in the masculine role.  I could not imagine how the publicity would figure in as well.

What a tangled web we weave in our society.

I was left feeling empty for this young man.  At least he has the support of his family.  And I suppose that there can be no better.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

beth

Quote from: LostInTime on August 04, 2006, 04:55:40 PM
Remember the little one who is TG?  Here is an Op Ed piece on that issue.

Op Ed Link

We disagree, and after reviewing the controversy presented in a recent Associated Press story, we suggest that schools enroll children according to their biology. It's reasonable for teachers to call a child by the name a parent requests. And it is imperative that schools do all they can to prevent bullying in any form. But, on this issue, how far should public schools be expected to involve themselves?

It is unfair to other children, and to Nicole, to pretend boys are girls or girls are boys, as Nicole's family is willing to do for the 5-year-old-son. Parents might be failing Nicole, but the public school system should refuse to get on board. Accommodations for restrooms, locker room etc. should not be made. Some transsexual advocates disagree. One man (formerly a woman) is hoping Nicole will become the poster child for the condition saving people, he says, from suicide associated with "gender dysphoria."

It's ironic (their main point being boys pretending to be girls etc) that a mtf child has to pretend to be a boy because she's a girl.  their cluelessness is evident. I don't think the age of 5 and the public school environment is the place to settle this. I would allow my child to dress and act however she wanted but be home schooled or in a private school setting. In my opinion 5 is too young to make this decision, let them be who they are, don't force things on them and see what happens.

•