Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

It got rejected for "opinions" so I thought I'd post it here! :')

Started by NicholeW., January 15, 2009, 11:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicholeW.

I've never placed a link to my blog here except in my signature, but it was suggested and so, seemed to me that General Discussions might fit.

Today I remembered. Sometimes our memories unlock more about ourselves than we ever discuss on boards anyhow.

http://radnichole.wordpress.com/2009/01/15/snow-mountains-memory/

I hope you enjoy the read, if you read. Feel free to comment. Here. Or there. 

Nichole

•  

Shana A

I wouldn't say "rejected", that sounds like I'm grading papers and marking them with red... If it were trans specific, for example, talking about how hard it is to wear high heels in the snow, I could have posted it  ;) :laugh:

Seriously though, Nichole's blog is great and always worth reading whether she is writing about trans issues or other topics. Everyone should subscribe.

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Jeneva

Where you grew up its pretty cold too, but no snow.  Several schools were closed yesterday, but it was just delays today.

I didn't realize you were from around here, it is a pretty place, but not very friendly for us.  I don't suppose you know any local ts resources do you?
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

NicholeW.

Quote from: hiddenflame on January 15, 2009, 12:29:01 PM
Where you grew up its pretty cold too, but no snow.  Several schools were closed yesterday, but it was just delays today.

I didn't realize you were from around here, it is a pretty place, but not very friendly for us.  I don't suppose you know any local ts resources do you?

Nope, sorry, wish I could help. I left in 1988 and haven't returned, packed a little 1976 Honda Civic throw-away to the gills and past with my things and left. The closest I've been since is I-81 on the way to Nashville and points west. :)

Sometimes I miss it, but mostly the scenery. :) The Poconos and the Catskills seemed safer. I imagine I could go back now without fear, but in 1988 that was still a ways away. :)

Thanks for reading and best of luck. Is Cowboys still operating out on Bristol Highway in North Johnson City? You might check there if it's still a gay-bar. When it was The Connection over by ETSU on Walnut Street there were three of us that were there in the early mid-80s.

Sorry, I'm sure that's like no help at all for you. Tell ya what though, Flame, check this guy: George R. Brown, M.D.
East Tennessee State University/VA Medical Center
116A/Psychiatry
Mountain Home, TN 37684

He's listed at http://www.drbecky.com/therapists03.html as still practicing. I know he's worked with Randi Ettner in Chicago as a collaborator. He might be able to assist you.

All the very best, girl.

Nichole

•  

Jeneva

Quote from: Nichole on January 15, 2009, 01:31:04 PM
Thanks for reading and best of luck. Is Cowboys still operating out on Bristol Highway in North Johnson City? You might check there if it's still a gay-bar. When it was The Connection over by ETSU on Walnut Street there were three of us that were there in the early mid-80s.
I think its called New Beginings now, but it is still a gay bar.

Quote from: Nichole on January 15, 2009, 01:31:04 PM
Sorry, I'm sure that's like no help at all for you. Tell ya what though, Flame, check this guy: George R. Brown, M.D.
East Tennessee State University/VA Medical Center
116A/Psychiatry
Mountain Home, TN 37684
I'm not a veteran and Dr Brown is marked as vet only on some of the lists (since he worked for the VA).  I've also found a few things that imply the VA shut him down.  I've never bothered to check because of that, but if I even get a green light from my wife for therapy it would be worth a try.  Most of the other resources from this area on the big lists were out of date when I called around late last year.

Thanks!
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

cindybc

Hi Nichole hon. Wow your description of all those different places in Tennessee, especially Clinch mountain and Roan mountains area I am quite familiar with, Morristown at the foot of Clinch mountain and Washburn is on top. I lived in the area for a time back in the 90's. I loved the winters in the Morristown area not to much snow. Having grown up in central Ontario Can. I certainly appreciate the milder winters.

I certainly though the eastern part of Tennessee was a blessing. On highway 143 at the base of Roan mt, there is a little village that looks like something out of the 1800's and there is a dirt road that goes a short distance into the woods where there is brook and a small picnic area. From Roan mt one can follow 143 all the way into Asheville North Carolina another realy pretty mountain town. Beautiful country and reasonably mild winters there I loved it. I use to work out of Knocksville for a couple of years.

Mountains here in BC are pretty as well but certainly not the same as Tennessee. No snow here either, much the similar climate as Eastern Tennessee. I am looking forward to visiting California this summer. Have a wonderful day.

Cindy   
  •  

NicholeW.

The VA Medical Center and the ETSU Medical School there are a bit unusual though, Flame, in that it's a cooperative venture, I think. I'm not sure how Jimmy Quillen wrote the bill, in fact, I never suspected that he could write much anyhow, prolly an aide wrote the bill establishing the medical schools. I think there were three like that across the country.

But, Dr. Brown will prolly do private practice as well. I'd check listings and call him anyhoo if you find a number. Even if he's retired now I'd imagine he'd still have access to contacts and resources.

Any friend in a snowstorm, doncha know? :)

Nikki
  •  

NicholeW.

Cindy, never been to BC, only a bit south to Bellingham. Although in seeing the movie 5 Easy Pieces back in the day I found the BC coast inviting. :) Love Puget Sound and the Islands of San Juan del Fuca.

Yeah, I can see some similarities with East Tennessee. Morristown, Dandridge, Newport & Jefferson City were a bit off to the southwest from the corner of ET I grew up in.

N~
  •  

Alyssa M.

Quote from: Nichole on January 15, 2009, 03:36:41 PM
Cindy, never been to BC, only a bit south to Bellingham. Although in seeing the movie 5 Easy Pieces back in the day I found the BC coast inviting. :) Love Puget Sound and the Islands of San Juan del Fuca.

Yeah, I can see some similarities with East Tennessee. Morristown, Dandridge, Newport & Jefferson City were a bit off to the southwest from the corner of ET I grew up in.

N~

I was just thinking of that movie about an hour ago as I played Chopin's E-minor Prelude. (I learned it considerably later than age eight.) I'm always amazed how Jack Nicholson made the same loathesome character so compelling in so many movies.

~Alyssa
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

NicholeW.

Quote from: Alyssa M. on January 15, 2009, 03:55:49 PM
Quote from: Nichole on January 15, 2009, 03:36:41 PM

N~

I was just thinking of that movie about an hour ago as I played Chopin's E-minor Prelude. (I learned it considerably later than age eight.) I'm always amazed how Jack Nicholson made the same loathesome character so compelling in so many movies.

~Alyssa

Goddess, is that true or what!! :laugh:

Although he does have some range as well, or's developed some. :)

Nikki
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Nichole on January 15, 2009, 11:04:32 AM
snip==> Sometimes our memories unlock more about ourselves than we ever discuss on boards anyhow.

<==snip

Nichole

The trick i guess is not to write everything that is unlocked, but then i should be the one to talk.  :)  Most enjoyable reading that's for sure.

steph
  •  

NicholeW.

Quote from: steph on January 15, 2009, 04:04:44 PM
snip==> Sometimes our memories unlock more about ourselves than we ever discuss on boards anyhow.

<==snip

Nichole

The trick i guess is not to write everything that is unlocked, but then i should be the one to talk.  :)  Most enjoyable reading that's for sure.

steph

:icon_hug: Thanks for both the compliment and the laugh, Steph. Yeah, I haven't yet revealed my sub-adventures in my blog.

Just a question, will we be seeing pics of you "dressed" at some point, luv?  >:-)

N~
  •  

cindybc

Well according to the weather forecast, the weather and then temps  between here in Vancouver and Tennessee doesn't vary much form one to the other during the winter months. Even after all those years I still miss Tennessee. I would love to get back to Long Island for a visit with friends and would also love to spend some time in Morristown. Not the same Morristown I use or know though, so much of it has died off, like boarded up, sad. But I still like the area and I still have a couple of friends in Washburn.

Cindy     
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Nichole on January 15, 2009, 04:09:20 PM

<==snip

Nichole

steph

:icon_hug: Thanks for both the compliment and the laugh, Steph. Yeah, I haven't yet revealed my sub-adventures in my blog.

Just a question, will we be seeing pics of you "dressed" at some point, luv?  >:-)

N~

i think so if He will let me post them.  i would have to ask first of course.  Hmm i'm thinking maybe i will have to plan a bike trip out your way...

steph
  •  

NicholeW.

Quote from: steph on January 15, 2009, 04:39:35 PM
Quote from: Nichole on January 15, 2009, 04:09:20 PM

<==snip

Nichole

steph

N~

i think so if He will let me post them.  i would have to ask first of course.  Hmm i'm thinking maybe i will have to plan a bike trip out your way...

steph

O, wouldn't that be grand!!! :) If you bike this way, have him bike with you!!  >:-)
  •