Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

My first time

Started by 01803lpn, January 21, 2009, 03:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

01803lpn

I finally worked up the guts to go out and buy my first pair of underwear.  I have never done that before everything has laways been borrowed (without permission) It felt really good afterwards but was I scared while doing it.  They are just very plain but they are a real girls and they are mine.  I still have not had the courage to talk to a person face to face but I am hoping to have the strength to someday. All the best to all.
  •  

Sephirah

Good for you, honey. The scariest things are always the things that give us the most confidence when we've achieved them. :)

You will have the strength to do anything you want to do, just keep taking it one step at a time, and remember everything you achieve, how you overcome each hurdle and it makes you that little bit stronger and more capable each time.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Sophie90

First time, eh?

It gets better.

So I am told.
  •  

anewlife123

It is no different than buying medicine, condoms, tampons, cough drops, etc ... go up to the cash register like you always do and let the person ring you up.  Just come off as normal and you should be alright.

And just think what married men go through buying 'feminine products' for their wives ... obviously they get use to it after a while. So, just let it be no big deal.

•  

01803lpn

That is exactly how I did it.  I was a married man for a long time. The cashier didnt even seem to notice it.  I was more worried about the man behind me. I kind of hid them under the toilet paper and paper towels.
  •  

Amy85

If you are interested in an alibi of sorts you could grab a scrap piece of paper and write your items on a list and bring it with you, keeping in your hand so any onlookers would assume you are picking up a list of things a girlfriend/spouse asked you to run out and get  ;) Either that or a birthday card so they think it's a gift, I read that one on these forums somewhere and really like it  ;D

Personally though I tend to shop online and just pick up my items with the mail. It's convenient if you don't mind the shipping and handling costs.

Amy  :-*
  •  

sd

Quote from: Amy85 on January 22, 2009, 08:39:13 AM
Either that or a birthday card so they think it's a gift, I read that one on these forums somewhere and really like it  ;D
:laugh:
That was my trick the first few times.
Anything that makes it easier that first or few times is good.
  •  

Holly-chan

Personally I've never actually had anyone ask me "Are these for your girlfriend or you?" So I've never really worried about it. I feel that whatever they think about what I'm doing in VS is their own problem and has nothing to do with me.
I don't know if thats the right way to think about it, but thats how I do. ^.^;;
  •  

Suzy

Really, they will not care.  I know it's so terrifying and hard to believe, but it's true.  They just want your money, honey.

I used to pull out my cell phone, and when I got near the cash register I would say something like, "OK, I think I got it all....OK, love you."

Now I just shop as a female and it is fine too.

Want a real funny experience?  After you are comfortable shopping en femme, buy a box of tampons.  Make sure you pick a cashier that is male.  Trust me, they will not even look at you.  I think it is hilarious. 

Great job on the undies.  Hardest part is now over for you.  Enjoy.

Kristi
  •  

Wendy C

The first time is always the hardest and as  you progress you  will become more yourself and comfortable. And Kristi nailed it, the sales people could care less and most likely they see it all the time.
Lol, I think the underwear is like the ultimate defining and affirming item, it was my first buy also. Hugs

Wendy
  •  

Bombi

Good for you! It's the little things that matter. I used to be way nervous buying panties and bras but now it just what I wear.
No one cares really and it's so nice to feel right in your clothes.
What's next?
Yes there is really bigender people
  •  

tekla

A Dress.  LOL. or shoes.  Since shoes are fitted its harder to get away with the "I'm buying them for my wife" line.

"Oh we wear exactly the same size"?

Try you local Goodwill/SallyAnn or other second hand stores, they are used to people shopping for all sorts of things.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Jessie_Heart

I used to be embarrassed my partner helped me get over that no matter how i am dressed when we are shopping she makes sure that everyone knows the sexy things are for me and she makes sure they know how sexy she thinks they are on me. we shop in a different town because the only store in our town is wal-mart and that just gets boring after awhile. As my partner puts it what does it matter what they think we will probably never see them again and if we do and all they have in thier lives to think about is what underwear I am wearing just imagine how boring it would be for them if it weren't for us!
  •  

Alyssa M.

Quote from: Holly-chan on January 27, 2009, 12:40:46 PM
Personally I've never actually had anyone ask me "Are these for your girlfriend or you?" So I've never really worried about it. I feel that whatever they think about what I'm doing in VS is their own problem and has nothing to do with me.
I don't know if thats the right way to think about it, but thats how I do. ^.^;;

Well, it's not so much a question, but I've had clerks several times say something like "oh, your girlfriend's really lucky." (thinks,  what girlfriend  ::)) I think they're trained to do that at VS. No thanks, I don't need a gift reciept. A bag is fine, thank you, and the receipt can go in the bag.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

gennee

Congrats to you. Most people don't it no mind. I buy women's clothing while dressed in drag and no one bats an eye.

Gennee 
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

AngelaKR

Congrats to you!

I'm kinda in the same boat. I can't really do any of that kind of shopping where I'm at (overseas in Korea), but I'm coming home to the States in a month. I'm hoping to go shopping for some underwear myself. The idea makes me kinda scared and nervous and excited all at the same time.
  •  

V M

The first few times I bought panties were nerve racking for me and still kinda is. Now that I've learned my sizes I mostly shop online  :eusa_dance:

Congrats on taking the plunge  :eusa_clap:
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Vicky

The first is the worst!!  I've gotten to be a bit on the brassy side with clerks that do make comments about how female stuff will look on me when I buy it in boy mode, I usually just tell them that I think it will be stunning or I wouldn't be buying it!!  I also told one meatheaded cashier who "Sir'd" me when I was enfemme that "I'll bet you say that to all the girls" with my best Marilyn Monroe lip pucker in his direction.  In both cases, if anyone behind has been listening, the laugh has been to the service employee's discomfiture.

I am glad for you that you have taken at least the one symbolic step toward admitting your real life self.  The other stuff will become easier to do, and you can do it with a pretty/pleasing confidence that will become radiance and leave everyone happy no matter what you do.
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

katherine

Congratulations!  Such a simple task, but it can be so unnerving the first time! I don't really recall my first time.  I do know that I was nervous as hell.  I still get that way, but only a bit.  There is one thing that makes it easier.  Being married, I still wear a ring.  Looks like I'm shopping for her.  Shoes aren't too bad, since I know my tugboat size and the people at PayLess don't really pay any attention to you...like Kristi said, "they just want your money, honey".
  •  

Jenny Jackson

I still vividly remember that first underwear purchase. I must have been about 14 and I made it from a large department store in central London. In those days underwear was not out on racks but behind counters and you had to ask one of the rather formidable sales assistants who stalked those huge old fashioned lingerie departments back then scowling menacingly at any man who dared venture in unaccompanied by his wife or at the very least his girlfriend. Oh my, did I not feel intimidated and embarrassed. Come to think of it, if those sort of places still existed today, I'd probably still feel intimidated ............. and I'm full time.
  •