News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Disabled Toliet Laws - UK

Started by Jay, January 29, 2009, 05:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Good Morning Guys & Gals,

I, as most of you know, live in the UK. I work for the UK's biggest insurance company, and the building I work in there are 600 staff. The disabled toliets are designated to a sex.  This makes going to the toliet very uncomfortable as I am not out at work yet.
So I use the only toilet on my floor which isn't gendered. The disabled toliets are right next door to the cubicle toliets and they are gendered. So the cubicle toliet is mens so the disabled one is labled mens. Same with the womens.

However, what I am looking to do is change all of the disabled toliets so they aren't designated to a single sex. 

I have been in touch with the companys LGBT Diversity team. They have agreed to change one of the disabled toliets nearest to me on my floor. I said 'thats fine, but what about the rest?' they have said its out of there control I would have to get in touch with managers.

However in previous emails regarding this I asked..

Quote"Can you actually tell me why they are genderised in the first place? As I dont see who benefits from it?"

I recieved..

Quote"The answer is they shouldn't have been - unless there's a single door to both 'private' areas where it's more comfy - for most - to be either male or female.  The ones on the 'open' corridors shouldn't ideally be gendered (though the DDA doesn't go into that - adequate provision is its raison d'etre.Most other sites are non-gendered I believe."

I am just wanted to know if any one knew the law here in the UK regarding Disabled toliets? It would be a big help. As I am going to push for this.

Jay

•