Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Orchiectomy...!

Started by ixt2003, February 12, 2009, 12:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixt2003

:o If someones want to do orchiectomy before SRS, does he need to have a recommendation from a psychiatrist? Would be a good idea to do orciectomy if SRS is planned? Thnx honeys...!
  •  

mina.magpie

According to the SOC, you need the dual recommendation letters whether you have SRS or just an orchi - any genital surgery, basically.

As to pros and cons, many different arguments, but I think it's a decision you have to make yourself. I'm opting for one despite the danger of shrinkage and stuff for a few reasons:

1) Finances - SRS is not in my foreseeable future, and I need to take some kind of concrete step in the meantime. Also, a loophole here in South Africa allows me, in theory to legally change my gender marker on an orchi alone, so that is a huge plus.
2) I don't want to be on Anti-Androgens forever. Besides the additional costs, they are dangerous in and of themselves long-term.
3) Hormone balance. I've heard many people say that, after they've had their testes removed, whether in SRS or an orchi, they find their feminisation speeds up lots as the Estrogen is no longer being opposed by the T naturally in your system.

So yeah, those are the factors that finally swayed me. Listen to the arguments for and against and decide what are priorities for you.

Good luck sweetie.

Mina.
  •  

RebeccaFog

The against argument is that by having an orchie before SRS/GRS, you may be lacking in some material that is usable by the surgeon.  I don't know how much of a difference it may make, though.
  •  

JENNIFER

An Orchiectomy pre SRS? If you have a concern re: cancer etc, then yes, ask for it or go privately.  As to having it pre SRS for convenience or personal reasons, it is your choice.  The medics suggest that they need all available material to perform an optimal SRS, I guess that skin is and remains skin whether you have an Orchi. or not, being that skin has and retains the ability to stretch ( something to do with Collagens ?), but to be blunt, the decision remains with the person that pays the bills.

Are those Standards of Care legally binding where you reside? OR....Are they just guidlines for the medical personel to work with?

On a personal level, I desire my testicles be removed overnight whilst within my dreamworld but sadly tis not likely. Thus, I live accordingly to endure a chemical regime and pray for good long term health.

I also wish you the very best of health and good luck because you shall need it.
  •  

HelenW

I had my orchi done because the spironolactone was damaging my kidneys.  I had a letter from my therapist and one from my endo.  A local urologist performed the surgery.

A simple orchiectomy is performed by cutting the scrotum.  A "radical" or inguinal orchiectomy uses incisions in the low abdomen, just above the base of the penis, and removes a large portion of the spermatic cord as well.  The "radical" avoids scar tissue in the scrotum but is more expensive.   The scrotal skin is often used to form parts of the neovagina so scars are not the best thing to have there, although many surgeons can work around that.

You can find out more about orchiectomies in the Wiki: https://www.susans.org/wiki/Orchiectomy

hugs & smiles
Emelye, "Radical" gal  ;D
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

samantha1976ts

There's a Dr. in PA that does one without a letter from a therapist, He charges aroung 2000.00 for it. But if you have one done before SRS you might have alot of scar tissue due to the orch.So you have to decide if its best for you to do, Me I am going to have a Orch, by the end of the year, I am not going to have SRS done so I will be ok, I hope.I just cant stand the damn things done there, lol... but good luck if you do have it done but be sure you want it too..
  •  

iminadaze

Quote from: samantha1976ts on February 12, 2009, 06:48:56 PM
There's a Dr. in PA that does one without a letter from a therapist, He charges aroung 2000.00 for it. But if you have one done before SRS you might have alot of scar tissue due to the orch.So you have to decide if its best for you to do, Me I am going to have a Orch, by the end of the year, I am not going to have SRS done so I will be ok, I hope.I just cant stand the damn things done there, lol... but good luck if you do have it done but be sure you want it too..

His practice is closed dear.  :(

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,53545.0.html
  •  

Janet_Girl

Dr. Nguyen in Oregon requires two letter just as with SRS.  And he charges $1500.  Check with your surgeon and see what they require.

Janet

•