News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

10 Minutes With Harisu: A role model for transsexuals

Started by LostInTime, August 14, 2006, 08:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Article

Possibly the best-known transsexual in Asia, Korean actress and singer Harisu (Lee Hyo Ri) was in Kuching recently to shoot Possessed, a horror flick which also stars Amber Chia. Harisu speaks to SU AZIZ on her role in the movie.
[...]
Q: How does it feel to be called "The most beautiful lady" in the world?

A: I don't think like that. I would prefer it if people think I'm good at what I do.

Q: What is your aspiration?

A: I hope to be a role model for other transsexuals.

Posted at: August 14, 2006, 07:58:35 AM

Somewhat related (but old) article:

Transexual babe does not want to be China's Harisu

Pictured above is Harisu, who used to be a man and is now a successful model and actress in Korea. On the left is a scan from the weekend edition of the Beijing Daily Messenger, which is printed on pink paper and does its best to act like a proper tabloid. Last weekend's edition had a story about transexual Chen Lili, who was earlier reported to want to become "China's Harisu".

Posted at: August 14, 2006, 08:04:36 AM

Another article in which she was mentioned and gives a bit more info:

Landmark Supreme Court ruling allows legal change of sex

The most well-known transgender celebrity in South Korea is popular entertainer Harisu, who underwent a male-to-female sex-change operation. The actress, singer, and model was allowed by a district court to legally switch her sex from male to female in December 2002.

However, South Korean courts are strict on permitting such legal gender changes. Ten people lost in court in attempts to legally change their sex in 2004. Another six lost similar cases in 2005.

Harisu welcomed Thursday's ruling as a "quite right and natural decision."

"A democratic society must legally ensure the human dignity of its members," the entertainer told Yonhap News Agency by telephone.

Posted at: August 14, 2006, 08:09:08 AM

S Korea doctor a social revolutionary

But there is no gainsaying Kim's audacity in introducing sex-change operations here in 1986. Nor do many South Koreans dispute the impact his surgery has had on a society where, even quite recently, sexual matters were mostly whispered about and few dared live openly as homosexuals.

That all began to change with the emergence of superstar Ha Risu, a slinky, silky-haired singer, actor, comedienne and model, armed with a 35-24-35 figure, who is now a fixture in the Korean entertainment firmament. Ha, whose adopted stage name is a play on the English phrase Hot Issue, lived most of her 28 years, unhappily, as a man, until Kim transformed her into a ravishing transgender beauty three years ago.
  •