Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Did having siblings affect your experience with gender?

Started by Alyssa M., February 17, 2009, 10:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Were you raised with a sibling of the opposite or same "birth sex"?

opposite
23 (39%)
same
13 (22%)
both
20 (33.9%)
neither
3 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Genevieve Swann

I don't beleive so. I did have cousin who lived on the same block who was older that me and since girls usually mature more quickly than boys in the early years she was larger than me. Any of her clothing items that were hand-me-downs or being discarded I kept. That helped.

Jessica M

With three younger brothers my parents used the excuse that my *dressing up* would confuse them and any attempt to transition as a pre-teen (I came out 1st time at 11) would scare them and get them bullied 1 of a few ways to stop me doing it.
I had no outlet for femininity and had to keep it all very hush hush and still do, but I'm planning on coming out soon
Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia - Alaska Young in "Looking for Alaska" (John Green)

I will find a way, or make one!
  •  

Genevieve Swann

Any effect my siblings had on me in earlier life was negative. We are not very close. I have two brothers and two sisters. The taught to avoid them as much as possible. As far as gender preference, I do what moves me.

Kylo

I was raised with my sister, although I have three other siblings that belong to my father's other marriages, two boys and another girl. I didn't live with them. I used to see the oldest brother sometimes, but we did not know each other that well.

Me being the oldest kid of them all, they all looked up to me. I behaved more like a brother than a sister, and it wasn't influenced by any of them, it was my own quirk. I recall talking to my brother about girls, he had a crush on a girl and wanted to know how to approach her. I gave him some advice. My sister would follow me around everywhere, and that was sort of uncool for me as a child because she was 8 years younger than me and having her tag along everywhere was annoying, but in the end, there was no escaping it. It's hard to say how I felt about her back then - in some ways I felt she had an easier time of everything with my parents, they were much more lenient with her than with me, and she had her two parents at home while I was the child of a divorce and a-not-very amicable split. I had to deal with things and people she didn't. I wasn't able to love her for a long time as I didn't have much empathy in me as a child. It took me a long time to learn to love anyone. It wasn't a stable, especially happy family.

I always felt that the other siblings were loved more than I was. I was a mistake, and my parents learned they couldn't stand each other soon after... but my siblings were more desired, I think. They had more stable situations. Their parents were ready for them. My problems weren't their fault, of course, and I don't hold them responsible for any of my issues or hardships in the family. But I definitely felt that when my sister did something wrong, she got an easier time of it. Maybe because she had a father in the house and I didn't, I'm not sure. If she ever asked for help with something, she always got it. She never really left home, or the city my parents were in - I did though, and if I ever needed anything or fell on hard times I was usually told to go deal with it myself. It was trained into me that you don't ask for help. That asking for help is some kind of disgrace. I know for a fact this has never been trained into my sister. I feel like I was treated like a boy, told to go out and seek my fortune, whether my parents knew they were doing it consciously or not, and she was treated more like a delicate flower.

My brothers never affected me regards gender much as I didn't spend much time with them.

I do remember wanting my own room as soon as possible from my sister as I was very self conscious about my body with her, as with everyone around me. I wanted privacy. It wasn't some conscious thing, I just remember complaining until I eventually got my own room and immediately felt better. Of course if I'd been a boy that would have been a priority, I think, from a certain age. Anyway, I demanded the room, although I had no problem actually having sleepovers with my male and female friends... it was a matter of right, somehow, in my mind. Maybe it was a manifestation of my maleness at that early age, not to have to be quartered with my sister forever, I don't know. there was a fairly large gap of years between us. It felt appropriate to me to have separate space.

I think I did a lot of stereotypical boy things back then, climbing trees, getting into trouble, making things, defending my sister, playing pranks on her, ordering her about if she wanted to be part of my group of friends, fighting with her over stuff. She seems to remember it all fondly, but I feel quite lousy about my lack of empathy back then. Perhaps if I'd been born right I'd have been a better brother.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

DawnOday

I've always been jealous of my sister. She is really beautiful. Not jealous of her 8 husbands though. It kind of freaks me out to see how much we look alike now. I was looking in the mirror the other day and damn. It hit me like a ton of bricks.  ::)
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Jin

I grew up in an all-female household. Mama, Aunt Jane, my sister and two girl cousins. I was the baby of the lot and was always treated as 'one of the girls'.
So I guess this did have a strong effect upon my ideas about gender.
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

SeptagonScars

Yeah I've felt like it affected it somewhat. My only sibling is a sister who's 2 years younger than me. As a kid, both me and my sister kept wishing for a brother. I didn't understand why back then, but I later realised I really wanted to have a male role model that I could connect with, as I was distanced from my father and all my male peers (and most female peers too). I was only close to my mother and sister.

Being trans, it felt like I only had girls/women to compare myself with and look up to while growing up. And I wish I had a more accurate view of boys/men when I was a kid. Like that could have helped me to better understand myself sooner. But my parents didn't want to reproduce more after my sister, so eh. My sister did get a brother though, as I transitioned. Cause yeah, she does see me as her brother now.
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •  

Lady Sarah

I was always the eldest child. Having a younger brother and a younger sister, they had zero effect on me. I was behaving like a girl before either could walk or talk. I bonded more with the sister than I did with the brother, but I got stabbed in the back by both when it became evident that I was never going to be the older brother they were taught to expect. Of course, that was the adoptive family.
In my biological family, I still have a younger brother and a younger sister. Both know I am their older sister, and will always be the older sister.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Doreen

I had quite a few brothers and one sister.  The only sibling I spent alot of time with was my sister.  My brothers thought it was 'cute' when they caught me dressing up, and even encouraged it... odd as that sounds.  They all knew from the earliest of times I was 'different' then them. 

Never into any stereotypically guy things either.  Didn't really care for cars.. be they matchbox or the adult version.  Didn't care for sports much though I did participate some.  I did like gardening, but that could arguably be gender neutral.

I'd have to say having siblings was just that.. having siblings.  I don't think I was hampered or encouraged particularly to express myself either way.  The worse influence I had was my mother.  She was always against me being me.
  •  

MaryT

I've never had a sister.  I think that fear of my macho and physically aggressive brother was a factor in my delay in transitioning.  I still haven't dared to tell him that I'm transgender, although I was caught cross-dressing so often that he probably knows about that.  He has often expressed his contempt for "fairies".  On the rare occasions that we arrange to meet, I still wear male clothes.
  •