Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Did having siblings affect your experience with gender?

Started by Alyssa M., February 17, 2009, 10:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Were you raised with a sibling of the opposite or same "birth sex"?

opposite
23 (39%)
same
13 (22%)
both
20 (33.9%)
neither
3 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Alyssa M.

I've often wondered how my life would have been different with no siblings or with brothers rather than sisters. In some way, it was an advantage to have two sisters. I could live vicariously through them. But in more ways it was painful to have the constant reminder of what I couldn't have. My gender was always an issue; I couldn't avoid it no matter what.

I'm curious how others might have felt they were affected by having sisters or brothers.

~Alyssa
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

Ellieka

I grew up with two older brothers. I never could connect with them. They were always into boy things like football and working on cars. Two things I can't stand. I never wanted to be like them, I never envied them and their maleness but rather I wanted to be anything but what they were.
  •  

Nero

I have two younger sisters. When my mom was pregnant, I begged her for a brother. Now I'm glad she didn't deliver one. While I would've loved having brothers, my jealousy would've been unbearable. It's just the kind of person I am. I'dve been seething with rage if mom and dad had got a 'real son'.
For me, this is an example of my god not giving me more than I could handle.
Just the kind of person I am. I got a very small consolation from being the 'son' in the family to my parents, which could not have happened had they had real sons.

Edit: As far as affecting my gender experience, I honestly believe having sisters rather than brothers made it more bearable. I got to have sibling relationships without the sting of jealousy.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

V M

I have two older sisters. For along time I thought I was a girl too. Of coarse the obvious dif. of the annoying dangler was pointed out to me. I began to feel left out. Because I often did get left out. So, I would be a girl by myself. Stayed closeted for years and doing dangerous things to try to be a boy. I'm still not sure how I didn't get killed.  :laugh:
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Janet_Girl

I was an only child.  But I was very close to two older female cousins, who lived if Chicago, when we lived in Michigan.  And two other cousins in CA.  Boy and girl.

3 to 1, in favor of the girls.  4 to 1, including me.  ;D

Janet

•  

mina.magpie

I have a brother four years younger than me. I can't really say that it affected my own experience of gender 'cause the two of us were never close growing up - The age difference was too big for a while, and I was too wrapped up in my own misery to really make an effort. Besides that we just had very different interests. He was a rough and tumble kid out playing with the dogs or visiting friends or whatever while I preferred reading and playing with lego and later-on roleplaying and writing. That said, we grew close when we lived together for a while when he just started university a few years back, but that's taken a definite knock since I've come out. He's not hostile or anything, just very unsure how to relate to me.

Mina.
  •  

Sephirah

I had two younger brothers. Since I was the oldest, I was expected to be a role model and set a good example, particularly as there was no father figure.

That was difficult... and I suppose on balance, I failed. My gender was an issue simply by virtue of the feeling that it seemed strangely absent. I knew I wasn't like them, but I didn't know what that actually meant, at least pre-puberty. Which led to my feeling I was somehow gender neutral. The environment was such that there was no feminine alternative - play and interact as one of three boys with all the toys, clothes, games etc. Or do nothing. I chose the latter, and became rather withdrawn, retreating to a world of books and imagination.

I was always 'the quiet one'.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

je

I have an older sister. She always seemed to be out with friends doing drugs or partying or anything else wild and crazy. God, for the longest time, I thought I was supposed to behave like her and felt ashamed because I didn't.
  •  

SomeMTF

I have one younger sister. She really does not accept my process or identity. She needs that all is ''perfect''.
  •  

Dora

Younger sister. It was her underwear I put on around the age of 5 or so. By the time I was 8 I was cross-dressing in her clothes on a regular basis. In many ways I wanted to be her. If I had a younger brother instead, I'm not sure what would have happened or if it would have made any difference in who I am today. -Dora
  •  

Jay

I was raised with two sisters one 2 years younger and the other 11 years younger. I was the complete opposite to my older of the two sister. Like we weren't even from the same family. Still not to this day.  My youngest sister is like my little baby I adore her.

My siblings haven't had any affect on my "gender"

Jay

•  

mtfbuckeye

I grew up with four older half-sisters, and I was the only boy. My mom thinks this is why I have gender issues (plus I had an awful relationship with my bio dad), but I highly doubt that of course.
  •  

Jeatyn

I'm the youngest in my clan, two sisters and a brother. My two sisters are almost twice my age and were always more like parents. The oldest sister has two sons and the other one has one son. I was their honorary "daughter" ... dressing me up in pretty dresses and buying me dolls, yuck >.> I am a lot like my brother, I always wanted to be just like him when I was younger, always seeking approval and whatnot.
  •  

Aiden

One little sister 9 years apart.  I was boyish before her and when she came around I actually feminized some.  She kinda softened me a bit, so now I'm just a soft guy instead of a rough one lol.
Every day we pass people, do we see them or the mask they wear?
If you live under a mask long enough, does it eventually break or wear down?  Does it become part you?  Maybe alone, they are truly themselves?  Or maybe they have forgotten or buried themselves so long, they forget they are not a mask?
  •  

Hypatia

I have four younger sisters. No brothers. I attended my sister's Girl Scout meetings, read their girl books, played with their dolls, wore their dresses...

...and then they have the nerve to tell me I wasn't gender-variant growing up. Nice selective memory there, Sis.  ::)
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

Miniar

I have six siblings, four older (2 brothers and 2 sisters) that are 10 or more years older than me, and two younger sisters 2 and 4 years younger than me.
I don't think that my siblings were a contributing factor all that much. I was almost always dressed in the same kind of clothes as my little sisters and we were treated as three parts of a whole. Like the three musketeers, or whatever.
My older brothers and I didn't hang out much. The oldest brother is 16 years old to me, he moved out before I turned 5, my other brother.. well.. he's a lazy-eyed geek that did nothing but play malicious pranks on his little sisters.
My parents split when I was six too so I was raised without a male role-model that I'm aware of.

I don't really think I'd have turned out "normal" with a male role-model around. I've been "me" all along.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Kayden

I have a younger brother and an older half brother.  It was strange.  My family allowed my brother and I (the old one moved out before my younger one was born) to be extremely gender flexible at home and I never learned the boundaries of gender.  My brother walked around in my dresses and such.  It was really strange.  I played with his toys most of the time and mom and dad didn't care.  I never understood how the gender issues were separate, but I did understand that we had different sexes.  My brother took to running around naked a lot probably at the age I had already developed gender constancy.  I remember trying it with him once and never doing it again because I didn't have the right parts.

Now it really sucks that I'm the only daughter because my parents are all hung up on "losing their baby girl"... but I was never happy that way.  Maybe I should just ask them to think if they would have been just as happy if I'd been born a boy?  I don't know.
  •  

Hypatia

My eldest sisters were 14, 15. I was 10. One weekend the house was empty for the whole afternoon. My sisters whispered together. Their names were Eva and Maria. They called me and they led me into my parents' bedroom. They told me to sit on the bed and be quiet. They went to my mother's dressing table. They painted their fingernails, they put powder on their faces, they used lipstick. They pulled hairs from their eyebrows and brushed mascara on their lashes. They took off their socks and put on my mother's silk stockings, panties. They sauntered about the room looking at the mirror, like beautiful women. They laughed and kissed, they stroked each other, they giggled. I was enchanted. They fed my enchantment. They whispered to me that it was our secret, that we would keep it in our hearts forever, never reveal it.

But that night at dinner I felt my father staring at me, staring deep into me. He chewed, swallowed, he put his knife and fork down. He looked at me. My heart started to beat. To thump, not to beat. My father said "Tell me, Robert. What have you been doing this afternoon?"

He knew.

I knew he knew. He was God. He was testing me. So I told him. I told him all that my sisters had done. I told him everything. My mother was silent. My sisters' faces were white. No one spoke. My father said "Thank you." Finished his dinner.

After dinner my sisters and I were called to my father's study. They were beaten with a leather belt without mercy. I watched this.

A month later they took their revenge...

(Anybody recognize the movie quote?)

Suddenly Eva and Maria held me down and tied my hands together with a long piece of rope behind my back...

Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

Aiden

Quote from: Kayden on February 23, 2009, 02:59:24 AM
I have a younger brother and an older half brother.  It was strange.  My family allowed my brother and I (the old one moved out before my younger one was born) to be extremely gender flexible at home and I never learned the boundaries of gender.  My brother walked around in my dresses and such.  It was really strange.  I played with his toys most of the time and mom and dad didn't care.  I never understood how the gender issues were separate, but I did understand that we had different sexes.  My brother took to running around naked a lot probably at the age I had already developed gender constancy.  I remember trying it with him once and never doing it again because I didn't have the right parts.

Now it really sucks that I'm the only daughter because my parents are all hung up on "losing their baby girl"... but I was never happy that way.  Maybe I should just ask them to think if they would have been just as happy if I'd been born a boy?  I don't know.

Don't think would mattered if only girl or not.  I know my father is all hung up for loosing his little girl even though I have a sister too
Every day we pass people, do we see them or the mask they wear?
If you live under a mask long enough, does it eventually break or wear down?  Does it become part you?  Maybe alone, they are truly themselves?  Or maybe they have forgotten or buried themselves so long, they forget they are not a mask?
  •  

sd

I had a younger brother, who tried to emulate much of what I did, he always seemed to do it better though.  All he did was make me realize how much different I was. I knew I was different before he was even born though.
  •