News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Please prove to me that God exists.

Started by Alyx., March 21, 2009, 09:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Quote from: Lisbeth on March 22, 2009, 05:02:00 PM
It would be better to start with something simpler like proving your own existence. But that's not easy either.
Quite easy, actually.  It is impossible to prove your own existence, by definition.

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Lokaeign

Sorry, three's no proof that God(s) exsit(s).  I'm a deeply, passionately religious person in my own way, but I don't have any evidence to prove the existence of my Gods.

I suppose you could pursue gnositc theism (seeking personal experiece of the Divine through prayer, meditation and ritual) and see how you got on with that, but speaking personally it doesn't help with the meaninglessness issue.  After all, you can simply ask "what is the point of a God's existance?" and you're right back where you started!

The meaning in my own life is derived from the same places it came from when I was an atheist: from my interactions with my environment, from the impact I have on the experiences of other beings, how I manifest in their awareness.  I'd suggest reading some good atheist philosophy, like the works of Bertrand Russel, if you're questing for meaning.
  •  

Miniar

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Genevieve Swann

A little of the subject but Satan may be female. i.e. "God hath no rathe like a women's scorn."

Miniar

If god (yhvh and/or allah) exists and is omnipresent, omnisentient, omnipowerful and has a great and ineffable plan for all living beings like many christian (and jewish and muslim) people would suggest, then everything is and always will be "as it should be" and simply by doing what we feel the drive to do is conforming to "god's will". Even if it is against scripture.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

imaz

Quote from: Miniar on March 23, 2009, 06:52:49 AM
If god (yhvh and/or allah) exists and is omnipresent, omnisentient, omnipowerful and has a great and ineffable plan for all living beings like many christian (and jewish and muslim) people would suggest, then everything is and always will be "as it should be" and simply by doing what we feel the drive to do is conforming to "god's will". Even if it is against scripture.

Yes and No. From a Muslim perspective we have freedom of choice so we can do what we wish, however it is up to God and God alone to judge us on our intention and what we have done.
  •  

Miniar

I said many, not all..
The point being that, if that idea of god is factual than our perceptions of "choices" are false as we're already pre-programmed with the nature to make certain choices and as such our lives aren't a path with crossroads, but one big line of dominoes chips where the last act makes the next act an inevetable one by our sheer nature.

•  

Lauren5158

Saw this once, and wanted to share it here:

QuoteChallenge to God

A college professor, an avowed Atheist, was teaching his class.  He shocked several of his students when he flatly stated he was going to prove there is no God.  Addressing the ceiling he shouted: "God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform.  I'll give you 15 minutes!"

The lecture room fell silent.  You could have heard a pin fall.  Ten minutes went by.  Again he taunted God, saying, "Here I am, God.  I'm still waiting."

His count-down got down to the last couple of minutes when a Marine just released from active duty and newly registered in the class walked up to the professor, hit him full force in the face, and sent him ass over tea-cups from his lofty platform.  The professor was out cold!

At first the students were shocked and babbled in confusion.  The young Marine took a seat in the front row and sat silent.  The class fell silent... waiting.

Eventually, the professor came to, shaken.  He looked at the young Marine in the front row.  When the professor regained his senses and could speak, he asked:  "What's the matter with you?  Why did you do that?"

"God was busy.  He sent me."

I think that is referred to the sharing of faith!
  •  

daisybelle

Quote from: Lisbeth on March 22, 2009, 01:34:45 PM
You can't prove that god exists. You can't prove that god doesn't exist.

In my house I set the temp where I am comfortable, but some claim it is too cold, while others say it is too hot.  But everyone of us feels the exact same temperature, but our bodies register it differently. 

I feel close to god, and I believe I have seen his miracles.   But I believe.  Others may take the same information and get down and proclaim their belief ---  or not.   My definition of proof is the same as the temperature.  I am comfortable with what I believe, while others may not feel or "Believe" the same thing,

Daisy

P.S. The unicorn is in my avatar so it exists...
  •  

Constance

Quote from: Osiris on March 21, 2009, 10:07:50 PM
If you need proof of God then you've lost the entire point in believing. :P
I think this is hitting the nail on the head.

I could try to prove my gods exist (I'm a polytheist), but that would negate my faith. True faith, for me at least, requires the presence of doubt. If I had proof, there would not be any faith.

I must admit that many atheists offer sound logic for their arguments. That said, I think that agnostics seem to have even better logic as theirs seems (again, to me) to acknowledge that these things can't be known or dis/proven.

If it could be proved that my gods do not exist, that would be disappointing but it wouldn't really change my way of life (religion). What it would change would be the details of my religious beliefs. The details of my religious practice (my way of life) would not really change.

Celia

What do we know about God that would allow us to infer anything at all?  One can say a lot of things about God, but those don't properly narrow things down.  If you could pigeonhole God, you wouldn't really be talking about God at all, but some mere something to which you've applied the name.  If you can say convincingly not only what God is but also what God isn't, we may be able to begin.  But for all the things people have said over the ages, I don't think they were really addressing the matter at hand at all; necessarily, they never understood what they were talking about.  And when we do think we understand, all we have is something we've somehow managed to cram into our heads - which isn't saying much. :P

-Celia

Only the young die young.
  •  

Mr. Fox

Some people's concept of God is more like "everything in the world and/or love" or something rather than an actual being.  In that case, it just depends on how spiritual you are and how you label things.
We can quibble over that line of thinking, but why bother when there is simpler proof right here on the forums?  Proof right in plain sight; I can't believe you haven't noticed that I, God, post on this website regularly.  Kat (tekla) is vice god (determine that however you wish), and if tekla doesn't like that (I just assigned it in this post!  I got power!), you can take the position.
  •  

lisagurl

QuoteI'd like to believe that my life isn't so pointless

You life being pointless has nothing to do with beliefs. Enjoy life while you have it because it will end. There are no walls around death. To contribute to the human race makes life meaningful.
  •  

Luc

I can't prove that god exists, nor that he/she/it does not. And, as many others have said, it's impossible to prove that anything actually exists, if we take everything down to its roots. Science exists within the context of our world... change one thing early in a strain of scientific theories which build upon each other, and you render every subsequent theory untrue. Perhaps, in a scientific context of which we are not yet aware, it is quite possible for a higher power to exist. However, I'm not entirely certain that it's impossible within the current context.

I believe that nothing we see here on earth could have occurred in the absence of a higher power. I have no idea what or whom that higher power may be. I call myself a Christian because I believe in Jesus Christ as savior, but even that belief has become tenuous over the years, as I have learned more about the world. And the older I get, the more afraid I become that I've gotten it all wrong... and yet, I'm more afraid that I have it right, and that people I love will be lost in their unbelief.

I wish it were possible to prove god's existence and nature. I would be first in line to find out the truth, regardless of cost.

SD
"If you want to criticize my methods, fine. But you can keep your snide remarks to yourself, and while you're at it, stop criticizing my methods!"

Check out my blog at http://hormonaldivide.blogspot.com
  •  

Natasha

the whole "you can't see wind but you know it's there" thing has been done to death. there is no objective evidence for any god. you're going to get told about the burden of proof fallacy which you just committed and also that you cannot prove a negative claim. congratulations! you guys have committed 3 logical fallacies in one thread!
  •  

imaz

I can't prove God exists nor can anyone else... If people want to believe or not so be it... As it clearly states in the Quran there is no compulsion in religion.

However... Two nights ago I was messing around with a couple of Muslim friends and as a joke we were using a random number generator to pick ourselves psychiatric disorders from DSM-IV-TR (we have a psychologist in the house!)... So I input numbers 1 to 730 (pages in the book) with one single possible result.

Half jokingly I said Bismillah (in the name of God) and pushed "enter" and out came page 580 - "Gender Identity Disorder"... :o

Coincidence? Who knows, it shocked the hell out of me at the time! ;D
  •  

Genevieve Swann

I cannot. Might have to ask David Kuresh or Joseph Smith or Jim Jones.