News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

"suicide is not chosen; it happens when pain exceeds resources for coping..."

Started by Natasha, April 29, 2009, 10:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finewine

Quote from: Becca on October 08, 2009, 09:56:35 PM
[...] if I ever find myself in that place again I won't screw it up twice.

Becca dear, please...if you find yourself in that place again just come and get a big hug from me instead, ok?  I'd really prefer it if you were here!! :)

Anyway, yes - gotcha on the pharmokinetics and physiological reaction.  I guess what I meant was, well, forget chemistry and go for physics...

A height of about 500ft should be extremely reliable .... wheeeee *splat*.
  •  

Hannah

Omg, yes. I was watching people jump off the bridge in that documentary, and I have to hand it to them for determination. I remember the first time I jumped out of a helicopter, backwards, it was a very counterintuitive thing to do. No thanks, while it is intriguing I'll skip the fall and just go to sleep.
  •  

Miniar

Quote from: lisagurl on October 08, 2009, 08:36:04 PM
So no one besides you daughter matters?

Try not to assume so much, it's really not an appropriate way to converse.

My daughter relies upon me, and exists because of me. I am the least bad option for caretaker available to her. She is the one being that would suffer the most should I off myself.
She is the one person which I can justify living for.

Other people matter, yes, but at the end of the day, No One should continue living for the sake of other people. You can't live for the sake of "not upsetting" other people.

Her being the one thing I can justify living for the sake of doesn't mean other things are not important.
_

Secondly, I don't believe anything has an inherit importance or meaning or value.  We are the ones that attribute importance to something.
Things aren't "important" unless they are important to something else and that importance is an emotional importance, not a factual one.
What is important to me may not be important to you. Take my daughter for example. She is important to me, but she's not important to you. I know this because I know that you do not know her and thus are unable to have an opinion of her value as an individual, and her life does not affect you in any direct way. This means that, should she die for any reason, unless you are told about it, it doesn't affect you nor make any difference to you. If you don't know that she died, it wouldn't mean anything to you. If you were told however, your reaction would be in reaction to "a child" dying, and not at all specific to her as an individual. Thus, she, as an individual, does not hold importance to you, as an individual.

The same process goes into meaning and purpose and all that jazz. If we look at the whole of all of existence, our whole planet is like a single grain in the Sahara desert.
If a single grain is removed from the Sahara, the desert doesn't care, and the change is so small it's negligible.

What is important to me, is important to me for my reasons which means it's importance in relation to me is a single, unique phenomenon. It doesn't mean it's not important to anyone else, only that it's importance to anyone else is based on their experiences and their existence and thus different from mine. My daughter will never be important to you the exact same way as she's important to me.

Your idea of what people think and experience is never going to align itself fully and completely without error to how people themselves think and experience because you can not see through another man's eyes the way he sees through them himself. To presume to know what suicide means to another person is thus flawed, at best. To presume to know that all people think of themselves as an object when they consider suicide is presumptuous at best.

And lastly.
Aren't you concerned about the overpopulation of the planet? One would think that you'd at least not be a strong opponent of death, considering how you've voiced that concern in the past.
I mean, which is it going to be? To many people (in which case the loss of people is acceptable). Or, Loss of people is unacceptable (in which case, you can't rightly say that there are too many people, since you can't spare one or two).
_

At the end of the day, to me, Suicide is about life.
Life, as I see it, is not measured in time from birth to death. Life isn't about drawing breath and "surviving". Life, in my mind, is about living. And if a human being feels they aren't living, that they're only surviving and suffering, then that human being doesn't have "life".
Their choice to leave their non-life when it becomes too much for them to survive through is something I can respect and accept.

No man should be forced to suffer, just so we don't have to say "bye".

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

finewine

Quote... I'll skip the fall and just go to sleep.

This reminds me, tangentally, of a documentary I saw on methods of execution.  What they found was that the most "humane" form of execution (leaving aside the fundamental issue of whether execution is inherently humane at all) was hypoxia.

Death from hypoxia sends you to sleep, peacefully, painlessly and the last thing you experience is a sense of euphoria (according to the subject who was taken to the point of passing out in an altitude chamber).

I guess if you gotta go, that'd be the least traumatic option.
  •  

Hannah

QuoteDeath from hypoxia sends you to sleep, peacefully, painlessly
Exit bags and tents, yes. Apparently they were all the rave for a while. I read that after Final Exit was published, suicides didn't really go up, but messy, unsucessful ones went down as these bags found favor.
  •  

lisagurl

QuoteOne would think that you'd at least not be a strong opponent of death

It is not death or the individual that is important, it is humanity. The organism that we are all a part of. The greater good, destiny of the human race. We are all cells of a great living thing. Each cell does its function for the greater living thing to survive. With out that caring for the movement of life itself the individual is just a bag of bones. It is true that we have too many people on this planet. We need to work together to reduce the number of new births and help make each cell a product of life of the whole.
  •