Previous topic - Next topic

Natasha

•  

Pica Pica

it' the root of much tiring wrangling that's for sure
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

lisagurl

They had evil way before money.  Money is the root of unhappiness in modern society.
  •  

FairyGirl

The phrase originates in the Christian bible, I Timothy 6:10:

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

Actually ignorance is the root of all evil. The love of money is the root of all credit card debt lol
Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •  

Lori

Its my love for shopping that is evil  >:-)

I just love spending money on myself!!  :angel:
"In my world, everybody is a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!"

If the shoe fits, buy it in every color.
  •  

Miniar

Money, as a thing, isn't evil, isn't the root of evil, or any such thing. All it is is an I.O.U extension to the barter syste.
What corrupt isn't "money" it's power.
To own money is to own I.O.U's that are worth resources.
So to own money is to control resources.
To control resources is to have power.
Power corrupts.

It's not the money that's corrupt, it's the people who are flawed and easily corrupted by power.
Just look at the internet.
Many forums go down because the ownership and moderators become bad management because even the tiny bit of practically fictional power that they are given by owning or moderating a forum is enough to turn them into ego-maniacal monsters that drive people away by generally treating the forum like their own playground.

We're all just children who want the best toy on the playground, and we all think "money" will give us that privilidge, and it will, but ofcourse, like children, as soon as we get the best toy on the playground we got to wave it around and go "nener nener nener" at all the kids who don't get a toy.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Nicky

I thought it was a miss reporting of the phrase

The evil root is the money of all love  ???
  •  

Ell

•  

RebeccaFog

It was then that I realized that I hadn't killed the man for the joy of it alone. Once I grabbed his cash and jewelry, I felt something come over me that meant more than the joy I felt while committing murder. It was an exhilarating high from the feeling that I would now have funds and possessions which didn't belong to me mere moments ago. I was inspired. Despite continuing to kill others for the thrill, I would be motivated even more so by knowing that I would gain enough loot to where I could finally hire others to perform my murders for me.

In essence, I could now proclaim to the Lord itself that it was neither I nor the cash that was evil, but that, it was the desire to attain great riches without consideration for the welfare of others that was evil.

As long as the system worked for me. I could quite easily live with that fact.
  •  

Lisbeth

This is a code phrase for the inequity of the "haves" and the "have nots." Money and power are synonymous. Resources are gathered to the powerful who have their power over the poor due to their excess of resources.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Ell

Quote from: Rebis on May 07, 2009, 11:17:14 PM
It was then that I realized that I hadn't killed the man for the joy of it alone. Once I grabbed his cash and jewelry, I felt something come over me that meant more than the joy I felt while committing murder. It was an exhilarating high from the feeling that I would now have funds and possessions which didn't belong to me mere moments ago. I was inspired. Despite continuing to kill others for the thrill, I would be motivated even more so by knowing that I would gain enough loot to where I could finally hire others to perform my murders for me.

In essence, I could now proclaim to the Lord itself that it was neither I nor the cash that was evil, but that, it was the desire to attain great riches without consideration for the welfare of others that was evil.

As long as the system worked for me. I could quite easily live with that fact.

that's awesome, Rebecca.
  •  

RebeccaFog

•  

Jester

Or a philosophical narrative, like "Thus Spake Zarathustra" or "The Republic."
  •  

RebeccaFog

Thank you both.  I should be working on several projects, but I fell down and can't get up.

I have an idea for a short story that I want to submit for contests.  I'm not only in it for the money.  I want to prove something to myself.
  •  

stacyB

While money and power are tightly intertwined, they are not synonymous. Money can buy power, but power alone doesn not guarantee wealth. Worse, if you simply look at todays headlines, those that are falling out of power still can commandeer money... just look at the CEOs of the U.S. auto makers and banks.

I was reading online about the sequel to Oliver Stone's 1987 Wall Street, and realized the only difference:

Then, the government was trying to fight corporate corruption and greed

Now, the government is a willing participant with bailouts and backroom deals.

And if they need more? They just keep printing more money...

---

Old Gekko line: Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works.

New Gekko line: This is the new greed, pal. How much do you want? The government is paying.

---

Old Gekko: (attacking an underperforming board of directors): The new law of evolution in corporate America seems to be survival of the unfittest.

New Gekko: The new law of evolution is still survival of the unfittest - Citi, Bank of America, GM, AIG. I could go on.

---

Perhaps a better question to ask:

Is greed the root of all evil?
  •  

ilikepotatoes

Quote from: Stacy Brahm on May 09, 2009, 04:23:12 PM
I was reading online about the sequel to Oliver Stone's 1987 Wall Street, and realized the only difference:

Then, the government was trying to fight corporate corruption and greed

Now, the government is a willing participant with bailouts and backroom deals.

And if they need more? They just keep printing more money...

I've never seen that movie, so I don't know if you referring to the plot when you talk about then, but in 1987, the US government wasn't concerned with corporate corruption and greed. In fact, that was the time of Savings and Loan Crisis in which taxpayer money went to failing financial institutions and there was a crash in the housing market.
  •  

fluffy jorgen

I hate money. Does that make an argument if hate is evil?
  •