Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Board survey probes students' sexuality

Started by stephanie_craxford, September 02, 2006, 03:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanie_craxford

The Toronto District School Board will ask students as young as 14 whether they are straight or gay — or "lesbian, transgendered, bisexual, queer or two-spirited (an aboriginal term)" — as part of a sweeping new census it hopes will help schools better serve all students....

(The article)

Steph
  •  

Sheila

Steph, I think it is a great idea that the school is trying to be aware of how some think. I really don't think this is the way though. Like the article said that they may and will lie on the form. I don't think it will be a true survey. It is also none of the school business whether or not the student is Gay or not. They should be protected from bullies no matter what they are getting picked on for. If a student opens up then there should be someone there with an open mind to listen to this child. This should be under strict confidentiality, unless the student wants to be out. I think that all teachers, administrators and councilors should be taught what to do for children who are Gay or Transgendered. I also didn't see anything on Gender Identity either. I guess we kind of got left out again.
Sheila
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Very true Sheila.  At least it's a step in the right direction though.

Steph
  •  

Dennis

QuoteI also didn't see anything on Gender Identity either. I guess we kind of got left out again.

Both the terms two-spirited and transgendered in the questionnaire would address gender identity, perhaps not with as full a spectrum as exists, but it is there.

Dennis
  •