News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Would like to talk to family members of trans-identified individuals

Started by KristenofIowa, May 21, 2009, 12:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KristenofIowa

Hello significant others/family members -

My name is Kristen Norwood and I am a doctoral student at the University of Iowa. Susan has been gracious enough to give me permission to advertise my research on this forum. I am just beginning my dissertation research in which I am conducting in-depth interviews with relatives of trans-identified persons. I am interested in hearing your stories!! Please read the announcement below if you are interested in participating. I would be so grateful for your help. After reading the announcement below, if you would like more information or would like to participate, please contact me at the email address or phone number below.

Thank you so much!

Dear Potential Participant:

I am writing to invite you to participate in a research study because you are a family member of a transgendered or transsexual individual. The purpose of the study is to explore family member's experiences that follow when a family member reveals a transgender identity and takes steps toward transition.

To be a participant in this study, your transgendered family member must have disclosed to you about his or her trans-identity (directly or indirectly through other family members) and must have taken at least one step toward transition or identify shift (even if the person does not intend to make a complete transition from one sex category to another). These steps toward transition could include name change, pronoun change, physical changes in clothing, voice, gesture, hair, cosmetics, hormone treatment, surgical changes (breast removal, breast augmentation, sexual reassignment, facial feminization or masculinization, etc.) or others. Further, to participate, you must have had a relationship with the trans-identified person before he or she began to transition, for example, if you are the niece of a transgendered person who transitioned before you were born and you've only known that person post-transition, you are not eligible for this study. Approximately 50 people will take part in this study to be conducted by scholars at the University of Iowa.

If you agree to participate, you will be asked to fill out a form providing information about you and your family. After that, you will be asked to engage in an interview/discussion about your experiences, your emotions, and your thoughts about having a transgendered relative. You will be asked questions about you and your relatives, but you can choose not to answer any questions that make you uncomfortable. These interviews can be conducted face to face or via telephone depending on your preference and geographic location. Interviews can last anywhere from 1 to 2 hours. If you agree, I will audio record the interview.

You will be compensated for your time and effort in completing the study procedures.

Taking part in this research study is completely voluntary. If you do not wish to participate, simply disregard this email message. If you decide to learn more about the study and/or to participate, you can email me, the primary investigator, at kristen-norwood@uiowa.edu or call me at 903-277-8476.

If you have any questions about the research study itself, please contact Kristen Norwood, mailing address: 105 Becker Communication Studies Building, Iowa City, IA, 52245; phone number: 903-277-8476; email: Kristen-norwood@uiowa.edu

Thank you very much for your consideration. Please contact me if you are interested in being in the study or would like more information before making a decision.

Sincerely,

Kristen Norwood
University of Iowa
Department of Communication Studies
  •