Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Wealthy non-ops

Started by xsocialworker, May 23, 2009, 08:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cindybc

Hi Virginia, thank you for your response. I believe that your response helps for me to have  more of an understanding. I always try to ask questions with respect, and I do my best not to judge anyone for who they are and the decisions they make. But it does help to have a better understanding.

I have been living full time in my preferred gender for nine years and had the surgery 4 years ago. I was living in Ontario at the time I began my transitioning, and the surgery was *not* covered by provincial health insurance back then. The cost for surgery was prohibitive on the meager salary I was making as a social worker. Here in Canada the wages for a provincial employee doing social work are mostly underpaid and overworked. But I loved my job and I love working with people especially those in need.

Anyway what it boils down to is that I had pretty well given up on the chance of ever getting the surgery, so I had pretty well resigned myself to the fact that in all probability, I would be living the rest of my life incomplete, so I better get over it. Who the hell would be any wiser anyway unless they looked in my pants, and only one person ever saw my personal parts down there was my JP. To the rest of the world they didn't have to know.

Having resigned to the fact that I may never get the surgery helped much in allowing myself to accept myself the way I was, basically a female with a deformity between her legs. I may very well have lived the rest of my life content with that if an unexpected source of intervention to allow for surgery hadn't come along. This allowed for one more final change in my life that brought me closer to completion and have since rewritten my past only by switching the gender roles.

The point is that I had accepted myself the way I was, and decided it was time to move on with my life as complete a female as I could be. Any similarities?

Cindy
  •  

Mister

QuoteHere in Canada the wages for a provincial employee doing social work are mostly underpaid and overworked. But I loved my job and I love working with people especially those in need.

Don't feel bad.  It's an international phenomenon.
  •  

pheonix

Quote from: Virginia87106 on May 27, 2009, 08:15:21 PM
Hi Cindy-  I will take a stab at your question, and thank you for offering it in a very sensitive and warm way.

Agreed.  Cindy, if more people approached this sub-forum with that type of sensitivity, we'd likely have less fights... I've Pm'd my response to you since I have no urge to link my story to "Wealthy" anything... I'm as poor as they come.  :P
  •  

jenasianbeauty

Post Merge: July 23, 2009, 02:18:21 PM[/b][/color][/size]

Quote from: Virginia87106 on May 27, 2009, 08:15:21 PM
Hi Cindy-  I will take a stab at your question, and thank you for offering it in a very sensitive and warm way.
I have been on estrogen for 12 years, I have had a trachal shave, breast implants, extensive FFS, and have been living full time as a woman for 8 years.  I have a passport with the F, annd SS also has me as an "F". 
When I had my breast implants, I looked at my body, and saw my new breasts and the penis that remained, and all of a sudden I realized that I did not want SRS.  I was completely satisfied with the wonder I discovered as I looked at my body with breasts and a penis.  I looked totally beautiful.

Also, I have always had very good sexual response.  Yes, the estrogen has changed my sexuality a good bit over the years, but I still maintain sexual function and enjoy the performance of the "parts.

So for me, I am a woman with a penis, I am just that lucky.  99% of health care professionals and others who have seen my body have been completely respectful.  I have not felt dissed because of my body.  Part of the reason is probably because I am very comfortable with myself and my body and expect others to also be comfortable.

I hope this helps a bit but please feel free to ask questions as they arise.

How can your passport say F is you have not had SRS? Isnt this a requirement in the US before you can change your gender in your passport. Can anyone please help? Please.....
  •  

cindybc

One can only change the gender marker before SRS on drivers licence in Canada and I believe in a few of the states in the US. You can get a name change on all of your documents but cannot get the gender marker from M/F or F/M changed until after SRS. Same with passports, you can get name changed in all provinces in Canada and most states but not the gender marker until after SRS.

I traveled over the border many times with my drivers licence name and gender marker changed but with only my name changed in all my other documents, had no problems and only just answered what questions they asked politely and concisely.

I didn't argue with them and they didn't argue with me.

Cindy
  •  

jenasianbeauty

Are there any pre-op ladies out there who have travelled with an M passport? How did immigrations with other countries deal with you? Just out of curiousity. Hope it the experience wasn't harrassing looking like a female but questioned why M is in your passport?
  •  

finewine

Quote from: jenasianbeauty on July 25, 2009, 10:46:08 AM
Are there any pre-op ladies out there who have travelled with an M passport? How did immigrations with other countries deal with you? Just out of curiousity. Hope it the experience wasn't harrassing looking like a female but questioned why M is in your passport?

Sorry, I'm not a pre-op but my gf is and we had this very same conversation, which is why I'm replying.  It seems that it depends somewhat on the country - she got an extra grilling to verify the motivation for her travel and (she suspects) to try and discern if she was a hooker or not.
  •  

Renate

To cross any border, you greet the border agent and offer your passport.
You appear calm and look at the agent openly but not in a challenging way.
You answer any question truthfully but without delving into more than what was asked.
You should politely refuse to answer any specific medical questions.
If you have an "M" in your passport they'll just have to get over it.

In any case, it always worked for me.
  •  

jenasianbeauty

I dont know how often this is but some officers just look at the picture on the passport, so perhaps we can simply change the picture on the passport with how we currently look? YEAH?

Post Merge: July 25, 2009, 10:06:28 AM

Quote from: finewine on July 25, 2009, 10:54:49 AM
Sorry, I'm not a pre-op but my gf is and we had this very same conversation, which is why I'm replying.  It seems that it depends somewhat on the country - she got an extra grilling to verify the motivation for her travel and (she suspects) to try and discern if she was a hooker or not.

Besides your GF, any other pre-op women on  this forum?

Post Merge: July 25, 2009, 12:31:21 PM

Regular Passports
"Individuals who can document transition-related surgical procedures and who seek to change the gender marker should submit a certified letter from their attending surgeon
or the hospital, simply stating that sex reassignment surgery has been completed.
No further medical details are required by the policy and NCTE encourages trans people to neither seek nor offer clarification as to what is meant by "sex reassignment surgery." Passport processors sometimes misinterpret the policy to require genital surgery. People who encounter this problem should notify NCTE immediately."

I found this on the ntcequality website.  Can someone please help clarify the part where we do not need to clarify what SRS is and how processors misinterpret to require genital surgery. Correct me I am wrong but this sounds like hormonal treatment and FFS/ BA are enough to change the gender on your passport
  •  

cindybc

If you do not have SRS. you may get your photo and your name changed no problems but the only way you can get the marker, [M] or [F] changed is with SRS. Canadian or US government does not classify you with the proper gender marker unless you are accordingly the same physical sex as your marker says, PERIOD that's it. You can't be both.

Cindy
  •  

fae_reborn

Quote from: cindybc on July 25, 2009, 03:03:01 PM
If you do not have SRS. you may get your photo and your name changed no problems but the only way you can get the marker, [M] or [F] changed is with SRS. Canadian or US government does not classify you with the proper gender marker unless you are accordingly the same physical sex as your marker says, PERIOD that's it. You can't be both.

Cindy

While YMMV Cindy, I was able to have the gender marker changed on all records after my orchi, including my birth certificate and social security, without any problems whatsoever.  The requirements vary by state here in the US, and you're in Vancouver, so it is not always the case that full SRS is needed, as you are saying.
  •  

xsocialworker

Maybe having incongruent ID is of minimal issue in the Western industrialized countries, but any thoughts on the Middle East or other states that are run by state religions or otherwise totalitarian?
  •