Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Shamanism

Started by Bethany W, July 25, 2009, 12:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bethany W

It seems like all around the world and since the beginning of time many Shamans have been gender benders. This seems to hold true on every continent.

Ive even met other transvestite moden-day shamans in the concrete jungle.

I wonder if shamanism attracts crossdressers or crossdressing attracts shamans.
  •  

jaylynne500

i follow the shamanic paths via the native american traditions, and for me it has allowed me the opportunity to be alot more comfortable and accepting of who i really am                              jaylynne500
  •  

barbie

Shamanism has been popular among people in my country since the prehistory period. My maternal grandmother was a shaman, and my younger sister is a strong candidate for a shaman (but she refuses it, and the prophecy says she will suffer from it, and indeed she does).

When a shaman calls a soul of woman, then he or she tends to wear women's dress, and vice versa. Thus, I have seen many female shamans wear ancient military uniforms when they call souls of ancient generals.

Shamanism had been a kind of national religion until 5-6 th century A.D. We have records on an elite group of young men who served the queen who de facto ruled the state. At that time, politics and religion were one. The name of the elite group was literally 'men in flower' and some records say they plucked out they eyebrows and wore a kind of foundation, wearing flowers in their head. The person in the right of the following picture was probably an elite man at that time:

http://www.seoprise.com/pds_data/global/pds/20051118005659_6561.jpg

The above picuture was painted in the 7-th century A.D.

I guess their sex with the queen was a part of the religious ritual. Also, some heterodox history records describe homosexualism, crossdressing and transsexualism. Those free tradition gradually disappeared after the patriarchical Confuciansim was introduced in 5-6 th century A.D. This would be the same in the West when the patriarchical Christianism spread around the Europe.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Vin

I practice a Shamanist/Animalist path and I like the freedom it gives me. :)

•  

cynthialee

I think that because many trans can see both sides of humanity in a way the cisgender can never do it gives us an insight and awareness others do not have.
I think that our desire to not be in the bodies we are born with makes it easier to become one with the spirit worlds.

There is definatly a conection.

Oh yeah...I also work with a form of shaminism.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

Nicque

You see the same thing in the great works of Alchemy, Falconelli etc.
  •  

Fie

I practice celtic shamanism. Shamanism really helped me understand sexuality. There's one article I read from a shaman elder about how gay men in his culture are considered special beings who are The Gatekeepers. It made me like shamanism a lot because unlike some other religions, Shamanism is extremely accepting of other gender and sexual identities =)
  •  

Gia

Shaman at higher degrees are in contact/communicate with souls, especially those of animals. Shamans a known to search for souls, yet the soul search doesn't mean the soul is lost. In some sense, the shaman need the incarnate ability to understand the locution of other souls, as their own soul and another soul's position or focus. This would even include to feel the senses of the body in which the shaman incarnated. This may seem similar to possession, yet more like shared memory (in computer science terms).

We could divide the function of the body where part of the experience is stored in the body itself and not of the brain/mind. These experiences could be shared with incarnates of that body. This is the role of avatars to control the body. We could simply say that the avatar/incarnate knows to lift an arm, yet the body has the memory of how exactly every cell in the body's arm should move. This is probably you know you usually don't think about and remember.

We could go further and detail what parts of the memory belong to the body and which belong the mind or soul. I'm not gonna bore you.. *wink*
  •  

bojangles

Quotei follow the shamanic paths via the native american traditions

I am puzzled by remarks like this. Could you please explain what you mean?
  •  

Wolfsnake

^ Ditto. As a Native American myself, I'm always a little confused when people say they follow "the" Native American tradition. I'm always like, "Uh, which one?"

I'm an eclectic pagan, and I include bits and pieces from a variety of shamanic traditions in my work. I consider my shamanism and transsexuality to be inextricably linked. In fact, I doubt I would have ever figured out what the hell was going on with me if I hadn't started working with Coyote.
  •  

Medusa

As I see it from my position, I'm something like alone wolf in wood separating hayfield for female sheep and hayfield for male sheep, so I can see booth worlds, I have unworldliness. Sheep see just same sheep and are scared even come near to wood.
And there was a long time when I enjoy being wolf and I still contempt with sheep which are scared to leave center of flock.
And I stay in wood even with my believe, I'm in between of Christianity and devilry.
IMVU: MedusaTheStrange
  •  

bojangles

Quote^ Ditto. As a Native American myself, I'm always a little confused when people say they follow "the" Native American tradition. I'm always like, "Uh, which one?"

Exactly!

The use of the word shaman in this context is also confusing to me. Obviously, I can't know which words every nation has adopted. But in my area if someone says they're a Native American shaman, red flags go up and Indians flee.

So am curious what that means to other people in other places.
  •  

blake

I have the greatest respect for shamans, and what they physically and mentally go through. Participated in a ceremony while I was travelling in South America, and it was the most gruelling (but healing) experience of my life. They do it every other day. The guts it must take.

One of the biggest markers of the ceremony was the pure empathy we experienced at the end. Everyone was accepted and part of this community. Without question. You could be absolutely anyone, and could have done absolutely anything, and it wouldn't have made a jot of difference. There were no gender boundaries at all - just beings. I have never seen so much acceptance in my life.

In answer to Bethany's question, perhaps shamans are freed from societal expectations of these boundaries by accessing this less restricted world. So, they may be comfortable with dressing in whatever way suits them and their ceremonial aims.

Warning: in addition to this being the most amazing and empathetic experience of my life, it was also the most life-threatening. The internet downplays the risk of death from a negative reaction to the concoction we took in the ceremony, but the very nice doctor who saved my life said that this happens to 1 in 20 people. They are usually locals who know to go to the hospital for the antidote. As a tourist, I had no information about this. I thought I was a panic attack; it ended up being a hypertensive crisis.

But despite that, I have absolutely no regrets. The body may have failed, but the mind was saved.
(Still, I ain't racing back. That would be an idiot move. I confess that I still want to.)

I know very little about other forms of shamanism (I'm not sure I can mention the path I took by name... need to look over the forum rules), but I wonder if you have experienced similarly positive things?
  •  

angiejuly

I do not learn well outside myself and am not to sure what shamanism is but this is what I do.
I can feel sound frequency sencitivity and what it does to the earth and our anatomies with each cell of my body reacting from the frequency.
I can see the purest and full potential of you and your worse fears. I can heal with this insight and do. I travel the island and l;ive in nature mostly. I do healings i learn how to do after i meet the indiv idual. my healings are for my self worth. i live without $ and choose to work for love.
But I do not know anything about anything outside of me but Drag racing engines. LOL
I came to this earth to be this and being born transsexual was the very pain to drive me into my natural talants. I am at peace cannot afford hormones and do not need anything but love from my creator to be happy. My connection heals me so surgery does not have to. Transition is mearly comforting a weakness i choose to look at instead of look away. I travel the universe and leave my physical body all the time. My true form is a large planet of water and  my true heart and love is a 10,000' tall crystal mountain covered in technicolor lights, waterfalls , and everything that is the purest love of my personality. My true anatomy is a lit star.

I love you. Follow the path of love and you will find you are great.
We must value ourselves to our attributes and contributions to others and environment and not our ability to aquire monitery value through means of greed and backstabbing. In this system the greedy would eat what the dogs dont want.
a blog on truth,   http://angiejuly.blogspot.com/
  •  

Sollan

I am thrilled to find a thread of this nature. My wife follows Shamanism, I follow a druidism path, we are both still fledgelings, but we have done alot of reading and studying. And still do, when life allows for it.

One of the things we have found, is that Shamanism and Druidism are somewhat linked to each other. Sometimes we will be studying and will find reference to the similarities between the two.

One thing we truelly enjoy is to do journeys together, as mates we seem to be more connected, we also will go to secluded forests or where nature is less disturbed by modern life, and talk to & feel, animals, trees, and plants. Mostly we feel their emotions.

I honor the Goddess, she is still unsure of the Goddess, she acknowledges her, but is still unsure of her place.

Another difference we have is that I honor fairys, she believes in them, but I was the one who opened the door, and have them as our friends. Yes, fairys are very mischievous but in a prankster type of way, they are only malicious if you piss them off. For us they will move items we need but always let them be found when we need them, they also like to ride our cat like a bucking bronco.

I used to be open enough to see them, but present situations, tons of moving, confusion about our lives, and finances, have closed us up some. We still get things when we go to forests and such.

But one thing my wife and I have always believed, and try to implement, is a saying I like, "if you are embarrassed or feel guilty about what you do/believe, don't do it"
Enough rambling, it is just very releasing to be able to be a bit more open about it.
if something makes you feel embarrassed or guilty, don't do it
  •  

Kreuzfidel

If anyone is interested in Shamanism/Neo-Shamanism from a modern trans perspective, one should check out the works of Raven Kaldera, himself an intersex/FTM individual.  He has a number of books on Northern Tradition Shamanism, but one that I especially recommend is his book, "Hermaphrodeities: The Transgender Spirituality Workbook".
  •  

OrderOfOriah

I follow a shamanistic path, but I don't rely very heavily on any one style.  It's a combination of styles from all corners of the earth supplimenting my mostly intuitive self crafted path.

I always wanted to be a female, but it wasn't until I began studying and practicing a form of shamanism that I gathered the strength to actually crossdress 24/7, which in turn led to my deciding to transition to female.

IT's good to see that there are others following a shamanic path here, though I've met quite a few people in my day that claim to be shaman, and have very little basis for that claim.  In the end it's always clear.  Actions speak much louder than words
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Kreuzfidel on November 02, 2011, 09:46:58 PM
If anyone is interested in Shamanism/Neo-Shamanism from a modern trans perspective, one should check out the works of Raven Kaldera, himself an intersex/FTM individual.  He has a number of books on Northern Tradition Shamanism, but one that I especially recommend is his book, "Hermaphrodeities: The Transgender Spirituality Workbook".

Very interesting!
I may order the book once I become at my leizure.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Emma Morgaine

Quote from: Kreuzfidel on November 02, 2011, 09:46:58 PM

I love him!!! I have had this book on my "to get" list for a while!
:icon_flamed:
  •  

DogSpirit

Thank you to everyone above who posted their words of wisdom.

I too follow a shamanic path. It began after an experience I had when my father died. He'd been in critical care for two weeks. I was working in our hotel room on a thorny problem while my mom found some supper. Suddenly my problem resolved itself, and just as suddenly a curtain of blackness came over me. I fell onto my bed into an instant deep sleep. I was awakened by the call from the hospital saying my father had died.

I've always felt that I accompanied him, though I remember nothing. My big paranormal experience and I slept through it!

There are three populations willing to talk about death: hospice, paranormal, and shamanic communities. I learned the words psychopomp (soul guide) and deathwalker. I learned that I am a bridge without attachment, but I am still learning what that means.

I have learned that no one dies alone, whether from a chronic illness or a sudden accident. As Elisabeth Kübler-Ross states:

QuoteBut at the time of transition, your guides, your guardian angels, people whom you have loved and who have passed on before you, will be there to help you. We have verified this beyond a shadow of a doubt, and I say this as a scientist. There will always be someone to help you with this transition.

-- Sue
===============================================
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
-- Leonard Cohen, "Anthem"
  •