Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What's the first step?

Started by stephanie, July 26, 2005, 12:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanie

I've seen a therapist in the past, but she was originally my wife's therapist, and the sessions became marriage counseling.  We've since separated and I've moved back to my home town.  I need to start seeing a therapist again, but honestly I don't even know what the first step is.  How do I find a therapist?
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hello Stephanie.

There are several ways that you can go.  If you have a family doctor you could ask him/her if they know of therapists in the area, and if possible therapists with GID/trans issues.  If you are uncomfortable with that or you don't have a family doctor you could try to locate a walkin clinic where they may be able to direct you.  Also do a google search and see if you can come up with a local GLBT support groupe in your area where they may have contacts that you could persue, and the other way is to ask here, maybe there is a member here who can better direct you, or who knows of therapists in your area.  I'm sure there are others here who can better direct you, I live in Canada so I'm not that familliar with your medical system.

Don't give up

Steph
  •  

Cailyn

This really depends on where you live.  Most therapists have little if any knowledge of gender or GID issues.  Some are quite hostile to the idea.  Try the following link to a list of gender therapists to see if you can find someone in your area:

http://www.drbecky.com/therapists.html

Cailyn
  •  

stephanie

Thanks for that link Cailyn!!!  Found a few options there that I will begin exploring as soon as possible.

This site and its members are truly the best!
  •  

stephanie

Currently playing phone tag with a therapist.  One can never seem to be available when the other calls.  Will try again on Monday, and hope to have an appointment set up!
  •  

Kimberly

I know what you mean by phone tag stephanie! Worst device ever created those phones.. oh wait. well anyway hang in there, the stars will align properly yet. ;)
  •  

stephanie

So busy yesterday with other issues, I forgot to post an update.  I have an appointment for tomorrow at 1:00 pm.  Nervous, but I know this is a big positive step!

Stephanie (#2)
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hello Stephanie

Just a quick note to wish you good luck with your appointment.  As you said this is a big positive step, a first step of many.  Go in with an open mind and try not to have any preconceived ideas.  Be sure not to equate therapy sessions you may have read about on this site with the way that your's will go.  Each therapist is different, may have a different approach,  and their own technique, and of course, remember to breeeeeeeeeeeeeeath.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Steph
  •  

stephanie

Boy was I nervous, you should have seen me panicking when I was five minutes late (had a few letters of the address confused).  But what a wonderful experience!  I'm glad I went, and I have another appointment next week!  She is the first person I have talked with in person about my gender issues.  How liberating to finally be able to talk with someone face to face (nothing against this site, I love it here too)!

Well I've been asked to look up a certain book, so off to bn.com I go.
  •  

beth

i am so happy for you Stephanie!

this is a great step for you. a good therapist is so very important.

beth
  •  

Chaunte

Stephanie,

Congratulations on finding a therapist and going to your appointment!  I was in your heels just a few days ago and know exactly how you feel.  Scared to death beforehand and flying on cloud 9 afterwards.

Godspeed on your journey of discovery!

Chaunte
  •  

Ariane Michelle

Could I just ask, what was the book you were told to look for?
  •  

stephanie

"She's Not There" by Jennifer Finney Boylan.  I've now read it twice, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone else.

Welcome to the Forums, by the way Ariane  :)
  •  

Ariane Michelle

Thankyou Stephanie, for the welcome and the title

•  

Shelley

I too would like to welcome you to Susan's Ariane,

How bout an introduction (hint).

Shelley
  •  

LostInTime

Congrats on a big step!  :)

I remember my first therapy appointment.  Good thing there were no loud noises, I probably would have had a heart attack and died on the spot.

Good luck and please let us know how future visits go. 
  •  

Ariane Michelle

Hey Stephanie,

Thankyou for the welcome also.
Hmm, as to an introduction, I used to come here before the site got changed, has been a couple of years actually. Forgot my log in, may have even expired if that is possible.
I have been dressing off and on as long as I can remember, normally until I get caught out, and then extreme guilt and discarding of very expensive clothes.
I am in my 2nd marriage, my wife caught me out a while back, and we did have a discussion of sorts about it. Can't say she is supportive, she turns a blind eye to it, and makes me uncomfortable if I bring it up.
Currently I am looking for a therapist that won't bankrupt me.
At this point of my life, I am not sure who, or what I am, but I know I am me, and I can live as I have to, even if it is not totally happy.
This site is still one of the best, and some of the names are the same, and still just as supportive.It is nice to be back.

Ariane
  •